Conflicted Over This Decesion

Blk_Amish

So I decided to book a cruise for my son's graduation. In the past he loved Princess but I was so-so. We both loved Carnival but not necessarily during Spring Break. I like NO vacation during Spring Break, not with my kids or any others. I loved the Princess itinerary going to Honduras, Belize ect but think he will have a better time visiting the ports of Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel on Carnival Magic, a newer ship. The whole idea of a Carnival cruise or any vacation during Spring break, ouchee!

I am planning for next Spring due to work schedule, how bad is the sailing on Princess during Spring break?

Bear in mind that Spring Break varies widely across North America. That said, our first cruise (March 2010) was during a typical spring break period, on board Crown Princess (FLL to Western Carib.) and we were in no way bothered by it.

Ditto for our first cruise on board Ruby Princess FLL Eastern Caribbean, late March 2012. No evidence at all of "Spring Break".

So I decided to book a cruise for my son's graduation. In the past he loved Princess but I was so-so. We both loved Carnival but not necessarily during Spring Break. I like NO vacation during Spring Break, not with my kids or any others. I loved the Princess itinerary going to Honduras, Belize ect but think he will have a better time visiting the ports of Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel on Carnival Magic, a newer ship. The whole idea of a Carnival cruise or any vacation during Spring break, ouchee!

I am planning for next Spring due to work schedule, how bad is the sailing on Princess during Spring break?

I sailed Grand Princess three times during spring break when she sailed out of Galveston.

There were about 500 youngsters on board. To my knowledge there was no disruption of adult, or any other, activities. The youngsters were well behaved. I attribute this to the fact that most were from Texas and and thus had a proper upbringing.:)

Same here -- cruised Grand out of FLL in March last year and am booked on Saturday's departure of Caribbean. Not anticipating any problems. I chose Princess in part last year because I anticipated fewer Spring Break problems than on other lines, and both I and my early 60s mother were very happy with the way it turned out.

"Spring Break" is a pretty broad time period beginning the Thursday prior to President's Day and going through mid April for the schools that do not release until mid June.

With my family I prefer Carnival because there are many more activities for my kids, but we cruise quite a bit and I no longer select a cruise for them because they don't care.

This year I selected Princess only because I had a family emergency and had to cancel a previously booked cruise prior to final payment due date, and then when the situation resolved itself (family member died) I could book something--and what I originally had was no longer available. We will still have a fine time on Princess and its a new cruise line for DD and DH, and we see new ports for us in Aruba and Curacao. But my older teens would have rather been on a Carnival (or Disney or RCI) cruise. Just couldn't make it work for schedule and the budget.

My kids like to cruise and don't expect to be entertained 100% of the time. Its still a cruise, the ship is beautiful, and you're going to interesting places. Also, my kid liked Belize much more than Jamaica. We did Altun Ha and the River Wallace excursion and really liked it and also liked that we were not hassled by vendors there.

I had a really baaaaad Spring Break cruise on RRC a few years ago. Heck, it turned me off cruising and even kids in general:-). As an older teen, I think Carnival Magic should be a fun, memorable experience. That rope walk does look interesting:-)))

Here is a link to Spring Break dates which lists many of the colleges and universities for this year and it is updated every year. It shows the heaviest weeks for Spring Break which may vary slightly year to year but not by much.

http://www.tripsmarter.com/travelinfo/panama-city-beach/spring-break-college-university-dates-0

Vinnie

Archived