Flowers in FLL?

CathyCruises

Has anyone tried to bring on flowers for their stateroom at Port Everglades? I figured for what I saved not booking CC, I could afford a nice bouquet for our cruise.

I did it once in Tahiti but have never tried while embarking in the States.

Thx Cathy

Has anyone tried to bring on flowers for their stateroom at Port Everglades? I figured for what I saved not booking CC, I could afford a nice bouquet for our cruise.

I did it once in Tahiti but have never tried while embarking in the States.

Thx Cathy

We brought flowers on in Tahiti also. Those were some gorgeous flowers they had in the market that everyone wanted for their cabins. I had forgotten about those flowers, so I am glad you mentioned it.

We have done it twice having bought the flowers at Publix the day before. The first time was when Infinity was straight out of dry-dock and departed late. We went to the port on Celebrity transport. Was taken back to the Conference Centre on a coach, checked them in with the luggage at the Centre, back to the port on another coach. Still could not get into our suite and went to Bistro on Five before finally getting to our suite. The flowers survived that and lasted almost two weeks of our cruise. Publix have flowers at a really geat price. One of the best things we have done.

Sue

Oh great!! So glad to hear. I have been told our hotel is close to a Publix. We are on a 15 day TA so I'd love the little extra touch. IMO what they give you in CC/AQ barely qualifies as flowers--a few stems!!

Yes, the bouquets in Papeete were amazing, weren't they?? I could not believe the beautiful and exotic arrangement we got for $15!!! Of course, it was the only cheap thing IN Tahiti!!!

Thanks for the advice--I would have been chicken to try otherwise!!!

Oh, easy! Right next to the port there is a big open air (closed roof) market--can't miss it. There are several vendors there to choose from.

The other thing we really LOVED in Tahiti was the poisson cru. Essentially a ceviche, made with raw fish and lime juice, but they add coconut milk to it--absolutely delicious!! They usually put grated carrot, cucumber and onion too. It was 2007 that we were there and we STILL dream about it!!!

Our favorite excursion was when we were in Huahine (some cruises don't stop there I know). We were given a tour of the island with a stop to check out the blue-eyed eels, then a snorkel stop, then we were taken by boat to a motu (tiny island in the lagoon) where they made a great barbeque lunch--chicken and fresh fish and of course poisson cru. We ate at tables IN the water with the little fishies swimming around our feet. It included the local beer and rum punch and they had some locals playing music and it was a fabulous day--probably our best port stop ever in a ton of cruising!! If you could find a similar tour it would be a great choice. I know you didn't ask--sorry, couldn't help myself!!! ;)

I found a photo of our $15 flower arrangement we got in Papeete. I don't think they will have that at Publix. :D

TP%20C%27s%20flowers.jpg

Cathy, You are so right about the poisson cru. It was sooooo good!

Here is a pic of ours that was made on our snorkeling boat.

TP%20Poisson%20cru.jpg

No, I guess not. So happy to see those flowers, best buy ever! I think that may have been the very first tip I ever got on Cruise Critic, from reading the reviews, long before I'd ever heard of a Roll Call! The other one I remember, and this was on Tahitian Princess, was to bring a bag of quarters for the laundry, which turned out to be right across the hall from our stateroom. It was perfect when we came back with wet and sandy clothes from all our beach excursions. Funny what stands out in my loony brain!

Wow! Those flowers are stunning, and I'll be sure to search out a vendor in the market. The poisson cru sounds wonderful as well; however, I'm allergic to shellfish :( Will pass along the info to DH.

Wow! Those flowers are stunning, and I'll be sure to search out a vendor in the market. The poisson cru sounds wonderful as well; however, I'm allergic to shellfish :( Will pass along the info to DH.

Well, if it makes any difference, it's not made with shellfish, just fish fish!!;)

Cool about the poisson cru. I'm really careful about any kind of fish when I'm in an unfamiliar medical environment. Will tote my epi pen along for safety.

I just saw that photo (wasn't there the first time I looked :confused:). That does look like shrimp, but we had it several times and it was always made with fresh local fish.

In BoraBora we met a fun guy named Coco who took us out in the lagoon in his little outrigger. The three of us swam with the sharks and the stingrays--quite an experience. (I noticed the ship's tour boat next to us. Their guide got in the water and everyone else watched from the boat. Not us. It's very interesting to have the rays brush up against you!) He threw out a line and caught a few fish and made us some poisson cru right there on the boat--doesn't get much fresher than that. But if you have medical issues of course it doesn't pay to take a chance that far from home!!

Now that I think of it, are there any vendors in the Port Everglades terminal? Like for buying sodas, water, etc? I loved it in Barcelona!

Bumped up because I have the same thought as Cathy.

We also booked a standard balcony rather than the CC ( huge difference when we booked) for an upcoming cruise and my husband called Celebrity and ordered a flower arrangement – and a bottle of champagne. My husband buys flowers on every cruise. We sail RCCL often and they have a great flower cart on the ships where one can walk up and get anything from a single wrapped rose to a large arrangement.

He says that the money he spends on flowers in "money well spent"!:D

M

When given times we place a order from where we reside and send gifts like flowers to the room when our member cruises. That is another thought.

We are not drinkers. But we do take the CC bottle and give to friends. CC class is nice but learned you pay for all those extras. Two flowers lol

We also booked a standard balcony rather than the CC ( huge difference when we booked) for an upcoming cruise and my husband called Celebrity and ordered a flower arrangement – and a bottle of champagne. My husband buys flowers on every cruise. We sail RCCL often and they have a great flower cart on the ships where one can walk up and get anything from a single wrapped rose to a large arrangement.

He says that the money he spends on flowers in "money well spent"!:D

M

Wow! What a great guy!! Lucky you. I told DH my plan and he was like, whatever. I know he thinks it'll be a PITA but once my mind is made up. . .:)

When the attendant comes to introduce himself, I ask at that time for a vase. Be certain he sees the flowers so that he knows the proper size to bring. I just keep them in the sink until it arrives.

Anne

Do they have large vases or just those little stem holders? I have seen 'blow up' plastic travel vases and thought I would try to get one of those. Or just buy an arrangement WITH a vase. . .

Archived