Curious, magic 2/27/13 anyone else deathly ill?

Txcruzer46

On magic after dinner, grand cayman night. I got deathly ill. Family ate same food all day. But not at dinner, I ate Chateau briand for dinner. After 10 pm got very sick all night. Only 1 drink at dinner. Haha. It sounded like someone in the other cabin was sick too. I didn't miss not docking in Cozumel.

If you are talking GI/gastroenteritis symptoms, yes, several in our group had reactions that night also. Was not seasickness, fever, rapid onset nausea/vomitting/diarrhea. there was something on that ship, either food or otherwise.

Yes,those were the exact symtoms. We were next to monkey head Capt. Jack. Deck 2. I even had meds nausea and vomiting and until it was all out they didn't help. I noticed the crew didnt really care. My husband cancelled his golf before we couldn't dock in Cozumel, They were not sympathetic. One of the crew members in the photo shop, asked how we were enjoying the cruise and I said it was great until I got sick and she said something to the effect that several passengers and crew were, but she realized what she was saying and stopped. Our steward said Oh no, he didnt know of anyone else being sick. So they didn't want to talk about it. But it was horrible. Thank god, it was a one night thing.

Yes,those were the exact symtoms. We were next to monkey head Capt. Jack. Deck 2. I even had meds nausea and vomiting and until it was all out they didn't help. I noticed the crew didnt really care. My husband cancelled his golf before we couldn't dock in Cozumel, They were not sympathetic. One of the crew members in the photo shop, asked how we were enjoying the cruise and I said it was great until I got sick and she said something to the effect that several passengers and crew were, but she realized what she was saying and stopped. Our steward said Oh no, he didnt know of anyone else being sick. So they didn't want to talk about it. But it was horrible. Thank god, it was a one night thing.

Sorry y'all got sick on your vacation. That's always my biggest fear of cruising. Not to be insensitive, but why was Cozumel skipped? Was it illness related? Did you guys go anywhere else or was it just a 2 day sail home?

I, too, was thinking noro until you said it was a 1 day thing. Noro comes on very sudden like that.

Our first cruise, got up in the morning....everything fine. About 11am felt a little queezy, decided to go back to the cabin to lay down for a bit. Didn't leave the cabin for 2 days and the only reason I left then was because the cruise was over. Even had to lay down across my son and husband on the airplane for most of the trip home. Wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Last day I took the behind the fun tour and meet the captain on the bridge. He apologized several times about not docking in Cozumel, he said it was the 35 knot cross winds. Someone joked about them hitting the pier a few weeks ago. Captain was not amused, but it was very windy and he did say that the ships in grand cayman were not able to dock that day which was Saturday.

I didn't know what the noro symptoms were at the time, but I really suspect it was food related. Once everything was completely expelled, I didn't feel good but I did eat some bland food late that next day.

It sucked for everyone that suffered maybe we should get together and write to carnival.

In 1997 my wife and I cruised with two other couples on the new Destiny. Destinay was the largest cruise ship in the world at that time.

Had a great time but have not been able to get the other two couples to go on another cruise with us. My friends finally told me a couple months ago why they won't go on another cruise. I had forgotten about the rough seas, that cruise there were barf bags taped next to the elevators and vomit all over the ship. It didn't bother me at all, guess that's why I didn't remember it until I was reminded. Out of the six of us two people were deathly Ill for a couple days and two were very uncomfortable for those two days. My wife and I were lucky and it didn't bother us at all. I do remember that was the only cruise I ever took that took me over a week to be able to walk normally on land. It kept feeling like we were aboard ship and everything was moving.

Could you have been experiencing a little sea-sickness?

You're very lucky it was 1 night. My mom was on a cruise last year and almost had to be flown out (found out she SHOULD have been because they were surprised she was still alive once she got off the ship and got to the ER.) She came down with what she thought was a normal case of diverticulitis. She ended up having emergency surgery and being in ICU for a week after. So scary, but ill always think about that and how much worse it could be!

My DW and I were both on this cruise and she had the chateaubriand also, but neither of us felt any sickness nor did any of our friends and table mates. I never heard a word about being ill from anyone during the entire cruise.

Sounds like something was shared with people in the vicinity of your cabin, if a person next door was also sick. It is possible that a crew member may have contaminated towels, etc that were distributed in your area of the ship. There has been a nasty 24-48 hour stomach bug going around here, it almost sounds like what you experienced. We are sending 3-4 kids home a day from school with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

On magic after dinner, grand cayman night. I got deathly ill. Family ate same food all day. But not at dinner, I ate Chateau briand for dinner. After 10 pm got very sick all night. Only 1 drink at dinner. Haha. It sounded like someone in the other cabin was sick too. I didn't miss not docking in Cozumel.

See 1 drink was the problem. We all need to make sure things are disinfected in order to prevent illness. Alcohol is common disinfectant. That is why I believe one should disinfect themselves from the inside out, with a collection of spirits. :D

It could have been food related, but there is a 24 hour virus going around with those symptoms. It was on the national news in February. Highly contagious; I know because my husband had it (we thought it was from his lunch in a restaurant)....then 24 hrs. later I got it. My name for it is PukeFest, and It was violent! Also had chills/body ache.

Whichever you had - I'm glad you are feeling better.

What the OP describes is classic food poisoning--quick onset after eating, rapid expulsion (often from both ends), and quick recovery.

Very common and better not treated (unless becoming extremely dehydrated) because you want the offending culprit out of the body ASAP.

My son had this all transpire in a 2 hr. period after eating a "bad" grilled chicken sandwich one evening on our way to a baseball game. Chucked in a trash can on our way back to the car. Made it home, had several more episodes, a restless night, and felt fine in the AM.

I had it happen in South Africa (again, after a "bad" chicken sandwich), but I'm a really slow processor and it took almost 8 hrs. for me to get really, really sick. After a horrid night (I wanted to die), I slept like a baby for 8 hrs. and then was just fine.

Glad it was quick and that you're feeling better.

Noro is a 24 hour illness normally that's what makes it so hard to control. People get it and spread it so fast before their first symptoms. Some are weak and sick longer from dehydration. It is very similar to food poisoning regarding onset and symptoms. Big difference is that it is contagious.

My DH had it and I caught it from him. From my first symptom, it was exactly 24 hours to the end of symptoms. However, you are contagious before you ever have symptoms.

You can read about noro on the CDC website.

If you are talking GI/gastroenteritis symptoms, yes, several in our group had reactions that night also. Was not seasickness, fever, rapid onset nausea/vomitting/diarrhea. there was something on that ship, either food or otherwise.

But a cruise is what you make it! Sorry you were ill...

Archived