Eeek ...packing nightmare

debsjc

I anticipate having your nightmare in about 65 days:eek: But one thing I have found is that it doesn't make much difference how long you are going for. Once you are doing 20 days or more, it's about the same - my issues are the same as Swiss Myst faced - differing temps which really makes you puzzle.

(snip)

Definitely leave room to bring things home - and have a great cruise:)

Next week, I'll be packing for 4 months' travel, with the same 23Kg weight limit as the OP.

I also have to pack for several different climates, from early spring in Alaska to high summer in India.

As others have said, the secret is layers for cold weather, plus colour coordinating. And ruthless weeding out of any clothes that will not "go" with at least 3 outfits.

I will take one outfit for formal evening wear. As we're doing anytime dining on the cruise, I'll be sharing a table with different people on each formal night, so no one should comment on my outfit being the same as at the previous formal dinner.

I limit myself to 3 pairs of shoes - comfortable walking shoes, smarter walking shoes, and a pair of sandals that will do double duty for evening wear and hot weather. Shoes take up so much room!

I'll be hand washing "smalls" almost every day and taking advantage of ship's laundry and laundromats (where I can find them).

After wearing the same selection of clothes for 4 months, I'll probably never want to see them again, but that's OK. With so many changes of venue and so much travel, I'll be glad to sacrifice variety for the benefit of only having to lug one suitcase around.

I've also heard that people in northern climes have been known to sell sweaters to chilled travelers, although I'm trying to avoid that. Last year, I almost had myself down to the carryon--well maybe with a pair of shoes and a few items for DH's checked bag, since he insisted on it. Then, the night before we were flying to Barcelona, we were offered an upsell to what was then a Deluxe suite. We of course took the upsell; to celebrate, we took the extra bag and didn't use half of the items we packed in it.

SwissMyst - You sound super organised with your charts, I'm very impressed.

sammygoose- I'm also really impressed you only took carry on for a ten day trip, I definitely would struggle to do that.

I almost wish they would weigh me, instead of the bag. I've recently lost 60 pounds, so I should be allowed more baggage now I think!! :D

I could have managed with less stuff if I really had to, but I think i'll enjoy the vacation more having my favorite things with me, and not having to do too much laundry & ironing.

Congrats for losing 60 lbs of luggage! You are packing lighter so all credit to you.

Anything under 2 weeks is carry on for me. Not having checked luggage to drop off, pick up and wait for removes a lot of airport stress it becomes addictive. I got a tip a long time ago from a clothes designer about colour. People are less likely to notice clothes recycling if you keep key pieces to neutral colours. Then I add in a few colour pieces. It keeps the number of outfits to a minimum and neutral colours are more classic. Your wardrobe looks bigger that way when in fact it is not. I also do not miss what I do not have.

To note I have 2 co-workers who are clothes horses and to prove the point they both dress in colour colour colour. No neutrals there ;)

I can do a two week business trip using one carryon. It is amazing how much you can fit in one of those. I can do 4 dress shirts, one sport shirt, underwear and two suits with a pair of dress shoes all in 9 kilo.

Last year did a 35 day cruise with one carry one plus one checked bag. The checked bag weighed on 19 kilo. Of course having super light weight luggage also helps. You will be surprised how much an empty case weighs.

So HOW do you get 2 suits in so they arrive wearable? DHs suit is so large compared to my clothing and he's a 38" chest.

One of my least favorite tasks prior to cruising. I can only imagine doing it for a 35 day cruise.

I'm dreading it myself:eek: ours is only 31 days - and although I am happy to repeat outfits - NO WAY am I only taking one formal outfit for something like 8 formal nights.

Yes, I will probably have to buy a sweater in Tallin (but i probably would anyways) Sorry - guaranteed I can't do this cruise in a carry on:o The challenge will be keeping it to two bags (one each) plus the M & G invites, the tour confirmations, etc. aghhhh! I see a lot of planning on my horizon:eek:

I'm dreading it myself:eek: ours is only 31 days - and although I am happy to repeat outfits - NO WAY am I only taking one formal outfit for something like 8 formal nights.

Yes, I will probably have to buy a sweater in Tallin (but i probably would anyways) Sorry - guaranteed I can't do this cruise in a carry on:o The challenge will be keeping it to two bags (one each) plus the M & G invites, the tour confirmations, etc. aghhhh! I see a lot of planning on my horizon:eek:

Did you say one each? I am impressed. Without even thinking about it I know we will have two each. We will be gone thirty-nine days if you count three in Fort Lauderdale, three in London, and a day each, driving to and from Halifax.

One of the bags may be less than full leaving, but it will be full when we head home. :D

Did you say one each? I am impressed. Without even thinking about it I know we will have two each. We will be gone thirty-nine days if you count three in Fort Lauderdale, three in London, and a day each, driving to and from Halifax.

One of the bags may be less than full leaving, but it will be full when we head home. :D

That's the goal, but I fear that there will be another one - I'd rather have lots of room in case we bring back things:eek: or some duty free items;) and you have more days than us - ours is only 33 days.

Hmmm...my guess is guys are probably taking only one formal outfit for 8 formal nights - They owe us some suitcase space, is all I can say.

We were scheduled to have 14 formal nights on our last cruise but they were often only two days apart so we skipped a few and the last one got canceled because it too was just two days later since the last one -- busy and late ports on that cruise.

I started out packing changes for all 14, but found I did not need what I thought did -- but we added our own formal night at the Pinnacle to make up for the one taken away ...because it was our last chance at the end of the trip to celebrate the adventure - long gown and all. The Pinnacle wait staff kept asking if we were celebrating a special day or something and we said yes -- just being here one more day!

Hmmm...my guess is guys are probably taking only one formal outfit for 8 formal nights - They owe us some suitcase space, is all I can say.

We were scheduled to have 14 formal nights on our last cruise but they were often only two days apart so we skipped a few and the last one got canceled because it too was just two days later since the last one -- busy and late ports on that cruise.

I started out packing changes for all 14, but found I did not need what I thought did -- but we added our own formal night at the Pinnacle to make up for the one taken away ...because it was our last chance at the end of the trip to celebrate the adventure - long gown and all. The Pinnacle wait staff kept asking if we were celebrating a special day or something and we said yes -- just being here one more day!

too funny Swiss Myst - it's DH that takes up the baggage space:eek: one outfit - are you joking - different shirts, etc.

don't get me wrong - he looks great and I love him - but he gets more space than I:eek:

Archived