Paseo del Morro walkway

cole'snana

Here is a link to the NPS website for Old San Juan and the walk: http://www.nps.gov/saju/planyourvisit/paseomorro.htm

Try Googling "DIY walking tour of Old San Juan". In the past, I have brought copies of these walking tours so I don't miss interesting sites along the way. Assuming you are stopping in San Juan for a day stop, you will be right in Old San Juan. As you exit the pier, walk to your left. You will encounter the Paseo de la Princess. As you near the water, you will see a large fountain called Raices. At this point, head to the right. You will find the San Juan Gate ... to head up into Old San Juan, to the forts, shopping, the Catheral, etc... you go through the gate and climb up the hill.

For the Paseo, just continue along the walkway. There is little shade, so hydrate, wear sunscreen and your hat! You are walking outside the city walls and directly beneath the El Morro Fort. The pathway deadends directly beneath the fort, so you will have to return back along this path.

For another interesting little find .... as you walk down the Paseo de la Princess, you will see the Puerto Rico Tourism Company. This building was formally part of the jail ... notice that it is OUTSIDE the city wall. In the back courtyard of this building, you can see (and enter) the old jail cells with the city wall looming overhead.

• 5 weeks later...

Since I posted the original thread we have traveled to San Juan on the Reflection. If you want to take a walk, this was great. Just go left off the ship (about a 10 minute walk) and you'll come to a walkway at the base of the El Morro fort. The walkway goes along the water at the left side of the hill that the fort sits on. You can walk all the way to the front of the wall then you have to turn and go back the same way. From the ship and back we probably walked 2 miles, but you could go just as far as you would want. There were a lot of cats on this walkway, but they didn't bother us.

SnorkelDawg, We are just back from San Juan. Paseo El Morro is open the entire way...we could see where they had cleaned up the landslide. Some of the hills are sprayed with concrete..they may have to continue that process the rest of the way! We got lucky and the path was open the last morning we were there. There were high tides the other days so the gates were locked. It is a great walk..we loved seeing all the kitties!

You are leaving really soon...have fun...so sad that our trip is already over!

Lauri

SnorkelDawg, We are just back from San Juan. Paseo El Morro is open the entire way...we could see where they had cleaned up the landslide. Some of the hills are sprayed with concrete..they may have to continue that process the rest of the way! We got lucky and the path was open the last morning we were there. There were high tides the other days so the gates were locked. It is a great walk..we loved seeing all the kitties!

You are leaving really soon...have fun...so sad that our trip is already over!

Lauri

Hi Lauri-Thank you for the updated on the Paseo El Morro. It it much appreciated :) I hope your trip was great! Did you do a review of your sailing?

Dawg

Dawg,

I have yet to do a complete review on any of our cruises. I always take notes while on our cruises and have good intentions, but when I get home and am back to work, I am always too busy! I took over 1200 pictures, so just going through those and making an album online takes me weeks!

Are you going to St Lucia? Snorkeling at Jalousie Beach was great..so many beautiful coral pots etc..more than I have seen anywhere else!

Have fun! lauri

Dawg,

I have yet to do a complete review on any of our cruises. I always take notes while on our cruises and have good intentions, but when I get home and am back to work, I am always too busy! I took over 1200 pictures, so just going through those and making an album online takes me weeks!

Are you going to St Lucia? Snorkeling at Jalousie Beach was great..so many beautiful coral pots etc..more than I have seen anywhere else!

Have fun! lauri

Lauri,

I've only done 1 cruise review and for for the same reasons. I very much reading others reviews. Wow! That's a lot of pics! I'm kind of a photo-aholic as well lol. Taking 2 digital cameras ans 1 underwater camera. Thank God for SD cards!

Yes we are going to Jalouise in St. Lucia , one of my all time fav beaches. The underwater nature preserve is indeed incredible. Thanks for the well wishes and the info. Much appreciated

Now you need to book another trip :)

Dawg

Archived