Christopher Elliott and Holland America

Gypsywych

............What this CC member said to the Phone Reps he spoke to was and I am quoting:

Here’s an excerpt:

Purkey: I have the
original birth certificate
. Will this be OK?

HAL: YES, that is totally fine.

What he did NOT say was, I have the Original GERMAN birth Certificate ............

There in lies his problem for this matter!! He did NOT have an Original American Birth Certificate or the equivalent until AFTER he tried to board the ship.

I am so tired of seeing everyone jump down on HAL and all of its representatives on this CC members problem and not seeing the one extremely important piece of information.

Please note that 40 years ago, just being born to American parents while in Germany DI(D NOT make you a natural born citizen. As I said in that other thread on this same subject, my daughter was born in Germany and we HAD to apply for her American Passport and Birth Certificate a couple months after her birth. She HAD to choose at the age of 18 which citizenship she wanted to be, German or American. She WAS NOT Automatically a Natural Born Citizen.

I am out of this subject as it is tiring to see the subject and the misinformation or possibly just misunderstanding again and again:(

Joanie

Actually on the original thread I do believe he specified he was born in Germany.

I'm not surprised that this story has hit cruise critic.

Like everything there are two sides to the story I am sure.

I do think that the biggest mistake the rep made was trying to get an answer of the passenger. Anything complicated and they should refer the passenger to seek the right answer from wherever is applicable.

JMO though

Actually on the original thread I do believe he specified he was born in Germany.

I do think that the biggest mistake the rep made was trying to get an answer of the passenger. Anything complicated and they should refer the passenger to seek the right answer from wherever is applicable.

JMO though

Agreed ... since HAL states clearly that it is the passenger's responsibility to secure proper documentation, HAL personnel should be prohibited from discussing, in writing or via phone, whether one's docs are in order or not. Perhaps this incident and possible publicity will serve as a wakeup call for HAL to mandate a no-docs-discussion guideline for their peeps.

JMO though

Yes Jacqui he specified both to us and to the HAL reps he spoke to that he was born in Germany to an American Father and a German mother, in an American Military Hospital.

However he then states to the HAL phone reps, and to us that he has his "Original Birth Certificate," leaving out the one very important information Original GERMAN Birth Certificate. That is where his problem was and not HAL's fault that he did not make it extremely clear to the reps that he did not have an American Birth Certificate.

HAL did nothing wrong other than, In my Opinioon, not asking if it was an American Birth Certificate or from another country. And I do not expect any HAL rep to have to ask that question because it is our, the passengers, responsibility to make sure that we are legal across the board.

Joanie

Yes Jacqui he specified both to us and to the HAL reps he spoke to that he was born in Germany to an American Father and a German mother, in an American Military Hospital.

However he then states to the HAL phone reps, and to us that he has his "Original Birth Certificate," leaving out the one very important information Original GERMAN Birth Certificate. That is where his problem was and not HAL's fault that he did not make it extremely clear to the reps that he did not have an American Birth Certificate.

HAL did nothing wrong other than, In my Opinioon, not asking if it was an American Birth Certificate or from another country. And I do not expect any HAL rep to have to ask that question because it is our, the passengers, responsibility to make sure that we are legal across the board.

Joanie

1. I agree 100% with Joanie.

2. HAL phones reps should do nothing but refer travelers to the DOS and DHS websites.

3. Reader on Chris' site are voting for Chris NOT to intervene.

4. The original thread has been resurrected.

Who's On First?

I almost spit out my wine :D

Simply as someone who just coughed up upwards of 200 bucks for a Passport as someone with an American born birth certificate, I agree FWIW. *peace sign*

I can put myself in his shoes.

Until about ten years ago my only birth certificate was the hospital one with the footprints inked on. It got me registered for kindergarten, a drivers' permit and license, it got me a social security number and a marriage license. Any time I needed a bc it was there.

If I had called HAL and said I had that and was it acceptable had the girl told me it was I would have TRUSTED her. Had she verified with her supervisor I wouldn't have had another doubt. This is similar to the transcript this man has posted here.

Now, if they said it was not accepable, I would have 2 choices:

Not book the cruise.

Get acceptable documentation.

I'm sure ejammer would have done things differently if HAL had told him his bc was not acceptable.

Archived