Babymoon, anyone?

Hi there! We will be sailing on Radiance of the Seas on May 17th to Alaska :D I will be 22 weeks pregnant with our third child. It will also be the first real vacation that my husband and I have taken *alone* since our first was born almost 6 years ago. Needless to say, we are hoping to make this trip as special as possible! Do you have any suggestions for us? We honeymooned aboard a RCI ship (Rhapsody - Western Caribbean) years ago but haven't cruised since and I know that a lot has changed! Thanks!

Hi there! We will be sailing on Radiance of the Seas on May 17th to Alaska :D I will be 22 weeks pregnant with our third child. It will also be the first real vacation that my husband and I have taken *alone* since our first was born almost 6 years ago. Needless to say, we are hoping to make this trip as special as possible! Do you have any suggestions for us? We honeymooned aboard a RCI ship (Rhapsody - Western Caribbean) years ago but haven't cruised since and I know that a lot has changed! Thanks!

Maybe you know this already, but you will be very close to Royal's limit on sailing while pregnant. I wonder if it might be a good idea to have some documentation on your pregnancy length, just in case.

Here's the rule:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=313&faqSubjectId=333&faqType=faq

Yep :) My OB will furnish us with a fit to travel note, documenting how many weeks I am when we set sail, as per their policy. They also emailed us a PDF to fill out, stating how far along I will be.

Enjoy! I hadn't heard that term, until my niece and her husband took a trip to Cancun for the Holidays....(Little Rose was born two weeks ago...!!!)

:D

Congrats on the new addition! I thought babymoons were kind of a silly concept UNTIL I had two other little ones running around ...then the thought of having some alone time (and the perfect excuse for a nice vacation) sounded like the perfect idea!

Spa is a great idea. We sailed Princess when I was pregnant with DD. I did one of the spa sampler specials (facial, neck & shoulder massage & something else). Instead of using the table for the neck & shoulder massage they used the chair that used for chair massages.

Also, remember that most of the frozen drinks can be made without the alcohol. I had a few of these & they were really good.

Maybe try a specialty restaurant for a special meal.

Check with your dr about sea sickness options. We had one rough night where I didn't feel well (along with almost everyone else). I took 1/2 a Benadryl, sipped ginger ale & opened the balcony door for cool air and then fell asleep. Felt great the next day.

As a high risk OB RN my most important advise is stay hydrated. Dehydration can trigger Preterm labor and you do not want to deliver a 23weeker at sea. If you do notice increased braxton-hicks, increase the water and lie on your left side. As one who swells on cruises not pregnant I would drink bottled water and watch the high sodium foods. I'm sure you know which activities to avoid, just relax and get pampered.

As a high risk OB RN my most important advise is stay hydrated. Dehydration can trigger Preterm labor and you do not want to deliver a 23weeker at sea. If you do notice increased braxton-hicks, increase the water and lie on your left side. As one who swells on cruises not pregnant I would drink bottled water and watch the high sodium foods. I'm sure you know which activities to avoid, just relax and get pampered.

I think this is very good advice. One of the problem foods for my wife are the hot soups in the dining room. We cut those out on the last cruise and she had little to no swelling of the ankles.

Congratulations on your little one on the way! DH and I enjoyed our babymoon on the Allure of the Seas. If you want to read about our experience, you can check out my review; the link is in my signature. We had a great time. The crew was excited to see my belly, and they did all they could to make sure I was comfortable.

I would just say to listen to your body. Sleep and rest when you need to, don't feel the need to do or see everything. We treated ourselves to a couple specialty restaurants for romantic dinners, and made sure we had a table for two in the main dining room by emailing rcldining@rccl.com. We really wanted to maximize our time alone while we still had the chance! ;)

One thing we did do that we never do is purchase the formal night photos. It was nice to dress up in a maternity cocktail dress and take photos. The photographers are happy to give you different cute poses to try. The photo in my signature is from formal night. They're a great keepsake, and you can use those as your maternity shoot photos.

Have a wonderful time, and congratulations again! A babymoon on a cruise ship is such a perfect getaway.

• 2 months later...

I guess you could call our sailing a "babymoon" a little early--we are sailing with the AOS next month as a "last shebang before baby" kind of deal...spoiled ourselves a little :) But I'm not pregnant yet, so it's a little different :-)

ENJOY!

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions! I just emailed RCL to see about a table for two. We booked our excursions already and have kept it pretty much low-key. Looking forward to some pampering and R&R next week :D

Congratulations on your little one on the way! DH and I enjoyed our babymoon on the Allure of the Seas. If you want to read about our experience, you can check out my review; the link is in my signature. We had a great time. The crew was excited to see my belly, and they did all they could to make sure I was comfortable.

I would just say to listen to your body. Sleep and rest when you need to, don't feel the need to do or see everything. We treated ourselves to a couple specialty restaurants for romantic dinners, and made sure we had a table for two in the main dining room by emailing rcldining@rccl.com. We really wanted to maximize our time alone while we still had the chance! ;)

One thing we did do that we never do is purchase the formal night photos. It was nice to dress up in a maternity cocktail dress and take photos. The photographers are happy to give you different cute poses to try. The photo in my signature is from formal night. They're a great keepsake, and you can use those as your maternity shoot photos.

Have a wonderful time, and congratulations again! A babymoon on a cruise ship is such a perfect getaway.

Oh my goodness , Faith, is that your beautiful baby in your avatar? Congratulations! Too bad we don't have "announcements" here in CC, I need to know these things!:D hope all is wonderful with your little one!

Soramor- baby moon is a wonderful idea! I took one once, we are celebrating her 16 th bd tonight!;).

Maybe get an Internet package, it's hard to relax if you can't check in and make sure the "bigs" are ok.

Pack any special or extra pillows you'll need.

Avoid eating in port where there is a greater chance of getting sick from the food since safety standards vary.

Agree with the other moms who say relax, and the OB nurse who says hydrate. Also, if you baby moon will involve more "moon" than you usually get :eek: prepare your first aid kit with some over the counter remedies for any possible issues. ;)

Have a blast!

I was on the Seranade while pregnant in 2008 and the spa wouldn't treat me for any kind of facial or massage., Don't know if that is currently the case or common experience.

Otherwise a lovely restful experience. The feeling of peace you get at sea is hard to beat.

We did 2 baby moons and my DW loved it.

We also had anther unique cruise. We embarked as 2 and found out later that we actually disembarked as 3. Well that is what we discovered a few weeks later.:D

Congratulations, and enjoy your time with just the three of you;)

Andrew

Archived