Denali vs The Rockies

Hard-habit-to-break

Hi

We are trying to start planning a trip to Alaska for around Sept 2014 (we want to cruise back to Australia so looking for one of the last cruises so we can then cruise back).

If you had the option of a land tour around Denali or The Rockies (incl Banff and Lake Louise), which would you do? If they were around the same sort of $$ and each about 8 days.

We don't fish, and I hate flying. We love scenery and wildlife but not big into history sorts of things.

This is our first trip to Canada and USA, furtherest we have been is Singapore so pretty big deal for us. Budget is tight but can be moved around a bit.

I know it is all personal likes/dislikes but for those who have been to the area a few times, what did you like most about those areas?

Thanks!

Hi Hard Habit To Break,

We are doing what you are planning more or less this year with Royal Caribbean on Radiance of the Seas, which was built for the Alaska cruises with loads of glass walls etc for spectacular views.

I don't like flying so much either or fishing, love wildlife, but also love history.

We also wanted to cruise back home to Sydney, with the added bonus of no worries about baggage weight!

I would choose Alaska over Canada if I was forced to choose, but there are cheap ways of doing Canada or the interior of Alaska if you DIY, hire a car etc.

We opted for the Pre cruise tour that gives us 5 days seeing the interior of Alaska including Denali (it includes the Wilderness express train & Wilderness Tundra Tour), Talkeetna, Aleyska (Girdwood), Anchorage & Seward before the cruise southbound to Vancouver.

We are spending 7 days in Vancouver before boarding the ship to Hawaii & then onto Sydney.

So even if you took the last Alaska cruise of the season you will still have to probably get to Hawaii to pick up the repositioning cruise, unless a cruise line goes direct from Vancouver to Sydney?

We found that the Hawaii cruise cost was good value once we added up air faires Vancouver to Honolulu, hotel & meal costs etc for the 10 days it takes for the ship to get to Honolulu, plus we get to see more of the Hawaiian Islands than we saw last time we were in the USA.

It is a budget drainer though, the one way airfares are around $2000pp with Air Canada/Air Alaska via Vancouver.

But you have a good 17mths to save so worth doing as much as you can whilst over there is how I think.:)

Hi Hard Habit To Break,

We are doing what you are planning more or less this year with Royal Caribbean on Radiance of the Seas, which was built for the Alaska cruises with loads of glass walls etc for spectacular views.

I don't like flying so much either or fishing, love wildlife, but also love history.

We also wanted to cruise back home to Sydney, with the added bonus of no worries about baggage weight!

I would choose Alaska over Canada if I was forced to choose, but there are cheap ways of doing Canada or the interior of Alaska if you DIY, hire a car etc.

We opted for the Pre cruise tour that gives us 5 days seeing the interior of Alaska including Denali (it includes the Wilderness express train & Wilderness Tundra Tour), Talkeetna, Aleyska (Girdwood), Anchorage & Seward before the cruise southbound to Vancouver.

We are spending 7 days in Vancouver before boarding the ship to Hawaii & then onto Sydney.

So even if you took the last Alaska cruise of the season you will still have to probably get to Hawaii to pick up the repositioning cruise, unless a cruise line goes direct from Vancouver to Sydney?

We found that the Hawaii cruise cost was good value once we added up air faires Vancouver to Honolulu, hotel & meal costs etc for the 10 days it takes for the ship to get to Honolulu, plus we get to see more of the Hawaiian Islands than we saw last time we were in the USA.

It is a budget drainer though, the one way airfares are around $2000pp with Air Canada/Air Alaska via Vancouver.

But you have a good 17mths to save so worth doing as much as you can whilst over there is how I think.:)

Hi,

We have really only just started looking, but trying to work out a budget is hard when we aren't really sure where we want to go.

We do know we can get a HAL cruise Vancouver to Sydney for around $2000 towards the end of September (based on 2013 cruises). We have found 1way flights around $1300 Sydney to Vancouver.

Now it is just deciding whether to cruise tour to Denali or Banff etc. I don't think I will be confident enough to drive on the wrong side of the road even though I have read that traffic is light and signage is good. Being the first major OS trip for us, I don't want to stress out over it. Lots of places do cruise tour packages, just a case of working out which way the money goes furtherest.

Getting 6+ weeks off won't be a problem and I have a feeling we will go back to Alaska one day but with so many places on the bucket list, it won't be for a while.

Can't wait to hear about your trip once completed!

Kirrarne

I haven't been to the Banff area (it is supposed to be lovely), but if you are going all the way to Alaska, take as much time as you can to actually see Alaska. Look at some of HAL cruisetours.

I had cruised Southbound from Seward to Vancouver our first trip to Alaska. For the 2nd trip I knew I wanted to see more interior Alaska and the Yukon seemed to go hand in hand with that. We chose an 11 day HAL cruisetour. We traveled Northbound from Vancouver to Tracy Arm, to Juneau to Skagway, departing the ship and traveled up the Whitepass Yukon Railroad to Fraser, coach to Whitehorse (Yukon), on to Dawson City (Yukon), Eagle Alaska, Chicken and Tok, on into Fairbanks. Then the domed railcar to Denali (only 1 night) then ended in Anchorage. We had an awesome trip.

I would change two things if I ever go again. I would purchase the meal vouchers for the hotels you would be staying at (not having to wander around a strange town looking for someplace to eat). And I would make sure we had 2 nights at each stop. We had 2 nights in Dawson City and it was great to just walk around the town and know you still had another night there, not get back on the coach the next morning.

We did plenty of coach tours when we visited Australia (and have even done them here in the US). I love them. They tell you where and what time to be at the coach. Usually leaving in the morning at say 7:30, then arrive in the town for the night between 5:30 and 6:00. They aren't for everybody. You are with a large group of folks (we had 40 on our coach and a second coach behind us with another 40 more) so time consuming when everyone was trying to get on/off the coach or lined up for meals. We traveled over 1800 miles in those 8 days, but felt like we really got a good view of life in Alaska. Not just the jewelry and souvenir shops of the port towns.

Get a Frommer's or Fodor's Alaska guide book and see just what is on offer. Go to HAL's website and look at the excursions to see what you are interested in seeing/doing. Have fun planning, then taking your FIRST cruise to Alaska! It won't be your last, the land keeps beckoning you back.:)

Hi

We are trying to start planning a trip to Alaska for around Sept 2014 (we want to cruise back to Australia so looking for one of the last cruises so we can then cruise back).

If you had the option of a land tour around Denali or The Rockies (incl Banff and Lake Louise), which would you do? If they were around the same sort of $$ and each about 8 days.

We don't fish, and I hate flying. We love scenery and wildlife but not big into history sorts of things.

This is our first trip to Canada and USA, furtherest we have been is Singapore so pretty big deal for us. Budget is tight but can be moved around a bit.

I know it is all personal likes/dislikes but for those who have been to the area a few times, what did you like most about those areas?

Thanks!

We've not actually 'done' Alaska or 'The Rockies' yet, but will be going in May. If you are happy with the opinion of someone who hasn't been there yet, but has done a lot of searching on the internet about both areas, then here goes....

In my mind, a very important factor is whether you anticipate returning to this part of the world again. We are not, so we chose to Cruise and then get the train through to Lake Louise / Banff etc etc and explore the Rockies. To my mind, it would have been wrong to go all that way to Alaska and be so close to the Rockies without actually seeing them. But, if it had been our intention to return to the area in the future, then our decision would definitely have been different. We would have pre-ceded our Alaska cruise by a Denali land tour, and gone to town on seeing as much of Alaska as we could.

If you are on a tight budget, you may find a trip into the Rockies a bit too expensive to be used as an "add on" to your Alaska Cruise - especially if you don't want to drive. We have broken the bank on our trip and are taking the Rocky Mountaineer, but we are happy to pay the price because it is going to be our "once in a lifetime" holiday.

There are sufficient things to do and see in the Rockies for it to become a whole separate holiday. During our internet search, we came across an area called the Okenagen Valley - it sounds wonderful, and I think fits perfectly with a separate vacation which major's on the Rockies.

I hope you the above info is useful, and good luck with making your decision. Whichever way you choose, its going to be a fantastic holiday.

I haven't been to the Banff area (it is supposed to be lovely), but if you are going all the way to Alaska, take as much time as you can to actually see Alaska. Look at some of HAL cruisetours.

I haven't been to Denali, but can speak quite knowledgeably about the Canadian Rockies :)

The Banff area IS lovely (I speak from experience :) ) but IMHO you should spend as much time as you can in Alaska..... for the sheer wildness and remoteness.

Most of the Canadian Rockies are much more developed and populated than most of the areas in Alaska. We have spectacular scenery, but we don't have the "alone in the universe" feeling unless you get off the beaten path, and that is difficult to do if you are unfamiliar with the area.

If you are planning to go with a tour group, you will most likely see not-too-much of the Canadian wilderness (other than the areas immediately alongside the highway), and a-fair-bit-more of the towns and hotels along the route.

In order to visit Denali, you’d have to do a one-way cruise between Alaska and Vancouver (or v.v.) which means flying in one direction (and you say you’re not happy flyers.)

If you still wanted to see Alaska, but not spend the money on a cruise tour to Denali, you could instead do a return (“round trip” in N. America) cruise from Vancouver, which would include the Inside Passage, some glacier viewing in Southeast Alaska, and various port calls. This would probably be cheaper, as you wouldn’t have to pay for plane tickets between Alaska and Vancouver, or transfers from Seward or Whittier to Anchorage (again, or v.v.) and various other costs.

As far as the Denali v. Rockies question goes, I'm going to be the ants at the picnic and suggest the Rockies. My reason has much to do with timing. September is the end of the visitor season in Denali, and while it certainly can be beautiful (the tundra in autumn is spectacular) it can also be cold and wet, with clouds frequently obscuring the mountain. Coupled with the expense, IMO that would be too big a gamble for someone coming from as far as Oz. Of course it's always a case of assessing alternatives, but to me, the Rockies give you more options - overall and on a day-to-day basis.

I’ll come back to the itinerary in a minute, but first let’s talk about the car problem.

I can understand one's reluctance to drive on the "wrong" side of the road. But since your trip is still a long way off, let me just comment on a couple of things, and maybe make a recommendation.

First, cars hired (we say “rented”) in North America come with automatic transmissions. I know many hire cars in Oz also have automatic transmissions, but the use of manual transmissions in Oz/NZ is much more common than it is in the US and Canada. This by itself takes a lot of the difficulty out of driving on the "wrong" side - you don't have to be thinking about changing gears with the "wrong" hand, and you can focus more on the business of driving. In my many trips to "wrong side" countries, including Australia, NZ, the UK etc., I've found that any mental confusion I experience passes literally in minutes, even though I will still walk to the wrong side of the car now and then when I'm getting in, and have to remember to look for mirrors where I'm used to seeing doorposts. ;)

And most car rental takes place at airports, and airports inevitably are served with motorways or freeways (call 'em what you like) where oncoming traffic is not an issue; all you have to remember is to keep to the right. So your first few miles/km are in a very "controlled" setting.

When we moved to the UK years ago, I took my (then) wife, who was very skittish about driving on the left, out to a big car park one Sunday, and had her drive our RHD VW around and around, just to get used to shifting gears with her left hand, parallel parking, etc. She was good to go in maybe 30 min. When you saw German cars on Scottish Highland roads, it used to be customary that you'd see a note saying "Linksfahren" taped to the steering wheel - drive on the left. It really doesn't need more than that (if at all) - it feels quite natural in no time at all.

And, like Australia, having a car when visiting the US and Canada is so much more fun (and way cheaper) than being on a tour. Millions of visitors from “left side” countries – Australia, NZ, Japan, the UK, Ireland, most of Africa… manage it every year, and you can too.

So with all that said, here's what I'd suggest. Pick a return cruise from Vancouver, one that departs at least two weeks prior to your transpacific cruise. In fact, if you time your arrival for just a day or two before the cruise departs, you can use the cruise to overcome jetlag – hang out and look at the scenery, use room service if you don’t feel like getting dressed up for dinner (or if dinnertime feels like breakfast)… let your cabin be a deluxe waterfront hotel room where the scenery changes all the time.

Then when you get back to Vancouver, fly to Calgary – an hour and around $175. Get a rental car at the airport and drive to Banff. Unlike the approach from the west, from Calgary you’re on motorway all the way, with very light traffic and plenty of room to move around. In 40 min. you're in the Rockies and in 90 min. you're in Banff. It's spectacular, transitioning from the prairie to the mountains like you're hitting some sort of awesome wall.

Spend three or four days based in Banff – Lake Louise, etc., then drive up to Jasper via the Icefields Parkway, one of the most beautiful drives in North America. Visit Jasper NP, then drop off the car at the train station and take the train back to Vancouver, in enough time to visit that marvelous city, then get on the boat for the long sail home.

The relative benefits of the Rockies vs. southcentral Alaska and Denali are hard to measure. Denali National Park is vast, and even without the mountain being visible, it gives a real sense of wilderness. There is a lot of wildlife, but sometimes it’s elusive. When the mountains are visible (and it’s not just Denali itself, but other peaks in the Alaska Range you see from the park) the views can be awe-inspiring – huge white mountains strung along the horizon, with tundra-covered plains and braided rivers in the foreground.

But getting to Denali – by train, car, or bus – is time consuming and far less inspiring, and once you’re there you’re at the mercy of the shuttle buses and the weather. No private cars are allowed into the park interior, so everything is done in groups – ironic given the emptiness of the land. (Unless, of course, you get off the bus and hike out into the back country, which is wonderful but needs a lot of preparation and gear.)

By comparison, the Canadian Rockies are much closer to you than Denali – you spend a lot more time looking up than out, if you get my meaning. There is abundant wildlife in Jasper and Banff NPs – you’ll probably see more – elk, deer, maybe moose, maybe bear, maybe even bison depending on their re-introduction – in the same number of days in the Rockies than you’d see in Denali. There is indeed more population - but very sequestered from the scenic core - but the sense of "wilderness" is still there; just get off the road a little. (And "wide open spaces" are nothing new to someone from Australia. Topography like the Rockies, well...)

You’ll probably see autumn color in the high country – aspens, birch, etc. – as well as on the ground along the Icefields Parkway. There are lakes, rivers, glaciers, deep forest… and also towns. Banff itself is full of interesting shops and cafes, lots of comfortable accommodation at all budget points. Jasper, too. The point is, there’s a lot more to do when you’re NOT staring at the scenery than there is at Denali – more choices, more roads to explore or trails to walk.

So that’s my sermon. Sorry it went on so long.

I haven't been to Alaska yet. We are going late this summer. We are not going to Denali. We went to the Canadian Rockies late last summer with my Mom and a friend of hers. At the time, we were planning Alaska for this year. At the end of the Canadian Rockies trip, after walking on a glacier, Mom and her friend agreed that after this we would not find Denali all that impressive. It seemed like it was going to be a lot of logistical bother and very expensive if we weren't going to be awed. We also had read too many reports of people going and spending days and thousands of dollars and never even seeing the mountain. I know from experience that can happen anywhere, but I wasn't taking the chance now. Maybe if we go to Alaska again, we'll try Denali or maybe not.

Anyway, I wanted to recommend Caravan Tours for the Canadian Rockies. http://www.caravan.com/tour/canada-rockies

They are how we went and they deliver an excellent value. Here is a link to the first day of my trip blog:

http://roadtripswithbob.blogspot.com/2012/09/it-started-with-rabbit-or-is-it-hare.html

I have been to both- neither is "better" then the other. Both superb touring areas- that are different.

Be well prepared in your attire for the last Alaska cruise sailiings- you can expect cooler, rainy weather and with dusk by 7pm, a negative with available scenic sailing. These cruises are no longer the give away rates they used to be, but comparing may offer more.

Denali buses do stop mid Sept. then the road lottery opens. It's up to you about the driving, but if of any interest- consider it. (the lottery probably would be too much- and is very competive to get the tickets)

Wow, thankyou so much everyone (especially Gardyloo).

You have given me so much more to think about! I know it is still a fair way away, but I like to do alot of research before going anywhere and have started trolling the internet and have taken out every Alaska/Canada/US travel book in my public library and my uni library! Well, not quite, but have lots of reading material to take away on my cruise in a few weeks time.

My husband is quite ok with flying, he is hoping for a helicopter tour or something similar so will work that one in, but I very much doubt that I will, I am the chicken!!

Driving - I know lots of people do it, and I personally drive a manual car so manual isn't an issue, until Gardyloo mentioned shifting gears with the wrong hand - hadn't thought of that! Would always go an automatic when travelling anywhere but in Australia, only because it makes driving easier. It is certainly something that I need to put some thought into. Whilst we both drive in Australia, I know my husband wouldn't be comfortable driving overseas so it will be up to me, so might do some more research on it.

Having read some other posts recently regarding cruise tours, and realising that you really do just stay close to the roads and not venture very far out of the towns, I am wondering if we should look at driving.

Decisions, decisions.

Thanks again, all information is so helpful (whether you have never been to Alaska, or have been 10 times, or live there). Happy to receive any comments and information, just makes our decision all the more interesting!

Thanks,

Kirrarne

Hi,

Now it is just deciding whether to cruise tour to Denali or Banff etc. I don't think I will be confident enough to drive on the wrong side of the road even though I have read that traffic is light and signage is good. Being the first major OS trip for us, I don't want to stress out over it. Lots of places do cruise tour packages, just a case of working out which way the money goes furtherest.

Kirrarne

Can't really help on the Denali/Banff decision (and wouldn't it be lovely if money were no object and you could do both), but had to tell you I laughed at myself when reading above paragraph. I first thought "they don't drive on the wrong side of the road in Canada do they".....then realized YOU drive on the "wrong" (other) side of the road!

Many, many years ago, my sister and I went to England/Ireland and rented a car for a couple weeks. We were both concerned about driving on the wrong side of the road. Being young and very budget conscious (okay - cheap - and I still am :D), we were going to rent the cheapest car we could. Travel agent recommended cheapest automatic transmission (the whole wrong hand/wrong foot), and I would recommend that as well. It really did not take much time at all to get used to driving on the "wrong" side of the road. I think the main reason was the steering wheel is also on the wrong side of the car. The harder part was getting in on the correct side of the car depending on who was driving at the time. So, this is a very long way to tell you not to let the driving issue be a determining factor.

Driving - I know lots of people do it, and I personally drive a manual car so manual isn't an issue, until Gardyloo mentioned shifting gears with the wrong hand - hadn't thought of that! Would always go an automatic when travelling anywhere but in Australia, only because it makes driving easier. It is certainly something that I need to put some thought into. Whilst we both drive in Australia, I know my husband wouldn't be comfortable driving overseas so it will be up to me, so might do some more research on it.

Not sure if the concern- but all American car rentals are automatic shift, except for the rare speciality car.

I've always had manual cars with my left side rentals- Ireland, England, Scotland, New Zealand. No sweat now. :) But absolutely you must be ok and confident with a driving decision.

Hi,

We were deliberating between Denali or the Canadian Rockies as well before we went for our Alaska cruise last Sep.

In the end, we chose Denali as we felt that we can do the Canadian Rockies next time when we do a full Canadian trip! :)

Hi,

We were deliberating between Denali or the Canadian Rockies as well before we went for our Alaska cruise last Sep.

In the end, we chose Denali as we felt that we can do the Canadian Rockies next time when we do a full Canadian trip! :)

Yep, this is why I am swaying back and forth! Apart from money (and time off work), we kind of thought that if we did a full Canadian trip we could do the Rockies then. But what if we don't manage to get back there, I have to decide if I would be sorry if we missed it this time.

Decisions, decisions! Fun working it out though! Will also be easier once cruises are released for next year and then we have an idea on timing as well.

Yeah, I sure don't want my post to come off as doctrinaire. I've lived in Alaska and traveled all over the state for work and pleasure, and I've been fortunate to spend some time in the Canadian Rockies, too.

Of course it's the old "apples and oranges" thing, and, yes, both would be ideal.

And frankly, "both" is indeed an option you shouldn't reject out of hand. On the assumption that a cruise between Vancouver and Seward/Whittier (the "one-way" cruises) will cost roughly the same per person as one that just comes back to Vancouver, then the cost differential is all about what you do the days you're not cruising. On a per-person-per-day basis, most cruise tours will cost more - sometimes a couple of times more - than the days on the ship. And, depending on your traveling style (deluxe v. el cheapo) you can usually undercut the cruise tour prices big time by going the independent route - book your own car, your own hotels, etc.

So if time isn't a big issue, then by touring independently both in Alaska and in Canada, visiting both Denali and the Rockies might turn out to be pretty close in overall cost to just doing a cruise tour in one or the other. And of course in total cost terms, refraining from expensive excursions on the cruise can really save you serious money, and there are ways to do this without having the cruise turn into a "shoulda woulda" experience. (For example ride the city bus in Ketchikan to Totem Bight park - a couple of dollars instead of the hundred bucks the cruise excursions will charge.)

Fly to Vancouver and cruise up to Seward. Spend an extra day in Seward to take a Kenai Fjords cruise (to see marine mammals and impressive scenery.) Then drive a car up to and through Anchorage to Talkeetna. Spend two days in Denali Park, then drive the car back to Anchorage and fly to Seattle. (Seattle is cheaper than flying to Vancouver, and there are many daily flights versus just one to Vancouver.)

Spend a day visiting our fair city, then fly to Calgary - cheaper than flying from Vancouver, around $140 per person. Then get a car and spend five or six days visiting the Rockies, as I described in my earlier post, then take the train back to Vancouver (around $175.)

This is totally doable, and I'd be willing to bet that you could do it all at roughly the same price as the cruise plus cruise tour, maybe even less - IF you take the time to book things yourselves, rather than letting the cruise line do it. More work, yes, but it could pay dividends.

I always tell people planning "trip of a lifetime" holidays that I sure hope not. You may well catch the Alaska bug, or the Canada or the North America bugs. Join the club.

JMHO, if definitely have to choose between Denali and the Rockies, I would pick the Rockies.

We did the Alaskan cruise tour and enjoyed it, but comparing to our visits to the Rockies, well, no comparison. I don't think taking a train will do justice. Driving is the best way to see the Rockies so you could see all these beautiful places. Now, come to think of it maybe that's the reason, if we were on our own and in a car, I probably would feel different about Denali.

Yeah, I sure don't want my post to come off as doctrinaire. I've lived in Alaska and traveled all over the state for work and pleasure, and I've been fortunate to spend some time in the Canadian Rockies, too.

Of course it's the old "apples and oranges" thing, and, yes, both would be ideal.

And frankly, "both" is indeed an option you shouldn't reject out of hand. On the assumption that a cruise between Vancouver and Seward/Whittier (the "one-way" cruises) will cost roughly the same per person as one that just comes back to Vancouver, then the cost differential is all about what you do the days you're not cruising. On a per-person-per-day basis, most cruise tours will cost more - sometimes a couple of times more - than the days on the ship. And, depending on your traveling style (deluxe v. el cheapo) you can usually undercut the cruise tour prices big time by going the independent route - book your own car, your own hotels, etc.

So if time isn't a big issue, then by touring independently both in Alaska and in Canada, visiting both Denali and the Rockies might turn out to be pretty close in overall cost to just doing a cruise tour in one or the other. And of course in total cost terms, refraining from expensive excursions on the cruise can really save you serious money, and there are ways to do this without having the cruise turn into a "shoulda woulda" experience. (For example ride the city bus in Ketchikan to Totem Bight park - a couple of dollars instead of the hundred bucks the cruise excursions will charge.)

Fly to Vancouver and cruise up to Seward. Spend an extra day in Seward to take a Kenai Fjords cruise (to see marine mammals and impressive scenery.) Then drive a car up to and through Anchorage to Talkeetna. Spend two days in Denali Park, then drive the car back to Anchorage and fly to Seattle. (Seattle is cheaper than flying to Vancouver, and there are many daily flights versus just one to Vancouver.)

Spend a day visiting our fair city, then fly to Calgary - cheaper than flying from Vancouver, around $140 per person. Then get a car and spend five or six days visiting the Rockies, as I described in my earlier post, then take the train back to Vancouver (around $175.)

This is totally doable, and I'd be willing to bet that you could do it all at roughly the same price as the cruise plus cruise tour, maybe even less - IF you take the time to book things yourselves, rather than letting the cruise line do it. More work, yes, but it could pay dividends.

I always tell people planning "trip of a lifetime" holidays that I sure hope not. You may well catch the Alaska bug, or the Canada or the North America bugs. Join the club.

Your posts are fantastic, just like everyone else who is helping out. It is really making me rethink what we were going to do. I think we were just looking at easy options, let someone else do the driving type of mentality. Now I am considering so many more options.

We tend to be el cheapo although we are really hoping to put money towards a verandah for the Alaskan cruise (we are normally inside or oceanview people). We don't have expensive tastes and are quite happy to go cheaper on motels and food, not first class by any means.

Thanks again.

Gardyloo, has given you a superb itinerary, that allows you to visit both areas of your interests. You may want to strongly consider it. Often, people, like yourself prematurely have "plans" in place with some perhaps wrong assumptions. You haven't booked anything, so you are way ahead of the game. :) I would suggest you continue to hold this back.

Money is frequent in your posts. Completely my opinion only, but the first thing to go would be the cabin. Balconies actually have more restrictive viewing compared to open decks. It is a big "myth" that is sometimes mentioned- about crowded decks. Most of the time they are empty. A couple hours- on glacier sailing days, more people are out, but there is still plenty of space to see and move about. If it saves $1000- that buys a lot of tours- which again my opinion only, is what touring Alaska requires. :)

JMHO, if definitely have to choose between Denali and the Rockies, I would pick the Rockies.

We did the Alaskan cruise tour and enjoyed it, but comparing to our visits to the Rockies, well, no comparison. I don't think taking a train will do justice. Driving is the best way to see the Rockies so you could see all these beautiful places. Now, come to think of it maybe that's the reason, if we were on our own and in a car, I probably would feel different about Denali.

Clearly a group point to point Alaska visit is very lacking and sees the least. Add to the mix- with some cruisetours having the worthless Natural History tour included- missed out significantly- and didn't even get into the park. For me, the Tundra Wilderness tour- is too limiting and would never consider it. There are many superior touring options over short cruisetours to consider. Homework and full understanding is the key for the right selection.

Yep, this is why I am swaying back and forth! Apart from money (and time off work), we kind of thought that if we did a full Canadian trip we could do the Rockies then. But what if we don't manage to get back there, I have to decide if I would be sorry if we missed it this time.

Decisions, decisions! Fun working it out though! Will also be easier once cruises are released for next year and then we have an idea on timing as well.

Hi again Hard Habit To Break,

Regards driving in Canada. I understand your reluctance to drive.

I see you are from Country NSW as we are, so may not be used to traffic - we are down south in the Bega Valley & the traffic down here is minimal but a lot more than some regional areas in NSW.

We decided not to drive in Canada as we have experienced driving in the USA & found the roads system quite different than ours in addition to driving on the opposite side, & the traffic exiting even regional cities to get to the country areas was somewhat daunting at times & we used to live near & drive in Sydney back then.

After living in the country for years we even find traffic in places like Wollongong a real headache now.:D

I don't want to drive & my husband who did most of the driving in the USA last time felt he missed some of the sites & scenery as you can't gaze out the window when you have your eyes on the road, so no driving for us this trip.

I don't know what the wildlife on the roads is like in the Rockies & Alaska, but personally if it's anything like the Kangaroos & Wombats here in regional Australia I would hate to think what would happen if you hit a deer or anything large like that in a car.

We are on holiday so like to remove any elements form the equation that mean we have to spend time doing anything but relaxing & enjoying the experience.

But that is just us & no doubt others do enjoy the drive yourself option. :)

Hi again Hard Habit To Break,

Regards driving in Canada. I understand your reluctance to drive.

I see you are from Country NSW as we are, so may not be used to traffic - we are down south in the Bega Valley & the traffic down here is minimal but a lot more than some regional areas in NSW.

We decided not to drive in Canada as we have experienced driving in the USA & found the roads system quite different than ours in addition to driving on the opposite side, & the traffic exiting even regional cities to get to the country areas was somewhat daunting at times & we used to live near & drive in Sydney back then.

After living in the country for years we even find traffic in places like Wollongong a real headache now.:D

I don't want to drive & my husband who did most of the driving in the USA last time felt he missed some of the sites & scenery as you can't gaze out the window when you have your eyes on the road, so no driving for us this trip.

I don't know what the wildlife on the roads is like in the Rockies & Alaska, but personally if it's anything like the Kangaroos & Wombats here in regional Australia I would hate to think what would happen if you hit a deer or anything large like that in a car.

We are on holiday so like to remove any elements form the equation that mean we have to spend time doing anything but relaxing & enjoying the experience.

But that is just us & no doubt others do enjoy the drive yourself option. :)

We are from a place called Bathurst in NSW (the place of the famous car race each year). I used to live closer to Sydney and still go down that way atleast once a month so traffic isn't a major issue, although I don't particularly like going to Sydney now because of the traffic.

And yes, with the roo's and wombats out this way, and the damage they do to your car when you hit them (yes, hit a couple of roos), would hate to think what a deer would do.

Hence the reasons for me hesitating. Also the missing scenery bit because I am driving is also something to consider. But then I look at the tours and find they aren't quite doing what I want to do, but there are benefits for and against.

Thanks for your opinions, certainly food for thought.

Kirrarne

We are from a place called Bathurst in NSW (the place of the famous car race each year). I used to live closer to Sydney and still go down that way atleast once a month so traffic isn't a major issue, although I don't particularly like going to Sydney now because of the traffic.

And yes, with the roo's and wombats out this way, and the damage they do to your car when you hit them (yes, hit a couple of roos), would hate to think what a deer would do.

Hence the reasons for me hesitating. Also the missing scenery bit because I am driving is also something to consider. But then I look at the tours and find they aren't quite doing what I want to do, but there are benefits for and against.

Kirrarne

Hi Kirrarne,

Yes I know Bathurst- I think everyone in Australia knows the famous car race there.

My cousins used to live there for quite a while as well.

It is hard deciding what to do on holidays at times, although fun to research & each option as you say has it's pros & cons, but at the end of the day it's what is right for you that counts. :)

Kirrarne

I worry when people get lots of information and ideas that suggest their original thoughts, plans, constraints, preferences are "in the way" of getting "the best possible". :)

Only you know what you are prepared to do, and not do, for a vacation. I wouldn't drive in Australia, that is for certain ;) If that meant I missed out on some things, okay! When we (eventually) get to Asia, we will be doing the "tour" thing, not independent travel. I don't need the stress and angst of being someplace worrying that we'll miss a train or order a dodgy meal or get lost or... or... or ... :D I am confident we will get a pretty sanitized version of Asia, and I'm okay with that, on balance.

I have a dear friend who was born in Canada and lived here for at least 30 years. She absolutely REFUSES to drive in Canada, after 25 years of living in Australia. This means they use the Greyhound bus service, public transportation, etc, and have constraints on their "freedom" when they come back to Canada. It also means they can both relax and enjoy their trips, knowing they will NOT be stressed out with trying to drive on the wrong side of the road.

You need to be comfortable with whatever you decide, and realize that whatever you decide, there will be some trade-offs. I hope you don't end up feeling pressured to do some things that cause you to feel stressed about your vacation.

We are from a place called Bathurst in NSW (the place of the famous car race each year)...
I haven't been to Bathurst, but have been to Mudgee ;)

If Bathurst was located in Alaska, it would be the second largest city in the state.

You need to be comfortable with whatever you decide, and realize that whatever you decide, there will be some trade-offs. I hope you don't end up feeling pressured to do some things that cause you to feel stressed about your vacation.
Oh absolutely agree. This is all just talk, talk. You gotta do what you gotta do.

I worry when people get lots of information and ideas that suggest their original thoughts, plans, constraints, preferences are "in the way" of getting "the best possible". :)

QUOTE]

Yes very true- but find this board, is information for far more people than the OP's. :)

The conflicts arise, when posters- want certain touring, that just doesn't go together, without some significant compromise and fine tuning. Replies, have no idea who they are responding to and make numerous suggestions. Weeding out, is perhaps the most beneficial, since there is now a workable, reality based list.

It's all about the decisions- where, my step backs are on the "best" questions. :) Purely subjective, and "bests" are sometimes recommended with very little comparisms. Overall, Alaska as a whole is "best" for me. :) :) :)

Archived