Cozumel - What to do thats differant?

SuiteEscape

My favorite thing to do while in Cozumel is to spend part of the day at a place called The Money Bar. The Money Bar is a restaurant beside the ocean. There are so many things to do there and best of all, it's cheap. Here is what we do; after we leave the boat, we go to the taxi pickup and grab a taxi to the Money Bar which is only a few short miles away. (8 minutes and about $10 for all 5 of us). At the money bar, we eat a great authentic mexican lunch. (Sooo Good and inexpensive) then we all go snorkeling right there for free.

Now I have snorkeled all around Cozumel and I believe snorkeling at the Money Bar is just as good or better. In fact, the cruise ship snorkeling excursion makes a stop there off shore about 40 yards out. Snorkeling is great with some reefs and a lot off fish. There is a sunken pier about 40 yards off shore to the left of the money bar looking out to sea. If you need equipment, they have it to rent next door. They also have a small beach and chairs you can use for free. After you are finished you can wash up in their facilities which are quite nice. Don't forget your towels.

After a few hours there, we either go shopping or go back to town to Carlos & Charlies for a good time. I have visited The Money Bar the last 4 years and will be back again in May 2013. Can't wait...

If you want to see some pictures, check out their website http://www.moneybarbeachclub.com/

Edited by SuiteEscape

• 2 weeks later...

for an excursion that is totally different than what is offered by the cruise lines, please try:

Temazcal - Mayan Steam Lodge.

It is a wonderful experience, Petrus is fantastic, it's a day that you won't forget.

We experienced the Steam Lodge in December 2012 with Petrus and had a fantastic day. We often think about him and our experience.

Karan

Most people have never taken the excursion we took. We rented a small boat with el Pulpo divers and they took us to the most northern part of the island. It was amazing. We saw no one. We walked deserted beaches, had lunch on the beach, swam. We went all the way to the tip of the island. I don't think you can get there by car. You may not have enough time to do this. We said when we go back, we would do it again, but see another area. Alberto said he would take us snorkeling and to different beach clubs if we wanted. I don't know. I thought it was an amazing way to spend the day. I think the website is diveandsnorkelcozumel.com. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A unique way of sightseeing in San Miguel is to book "The Amazing Cozumel Race".

We did this last November and had a great time. While this excursion is a race, like the TV show, we took our time. It was pretty cool to have local people egging you on, or possibly steering you in the wrong direction. But the organizers are always around to make sure you don't go off the beaten path.

By the way, we came in last place, but fun was had by all.

• 3 weeks later...

People are going to think they paid me, but seriously, if you want something different, book the Tucan Sailing tour through Cozumel Sailing. Goes to North end of island, private beach, snorkeling, lunch, great drinks, spinnaker rides, etc. best day ever! My teens Loved it.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

• 7 months later...

We rented Harley fat boy through EagleRider first on our first trip to Cozumel in December, 2013 and Adrian was our guide. This was the HIGHLIGHT of our two weeks cruise to Panama Canal and Caribbean. My husband kept talking about it for a year. So this January (last week) we were in Cozumel on Allure of the Seas. Adrian was at the port again with his bike. We signed up for same fat boy (I don't ride, so I take the back seat) with Adrian as our guide. This was one instance in our lives (we both agreed) when we stepped into the same water twice. We loved the tour. This time Adrian took us on a different route to a beautiful beach on the east coast of the island. We sat on the swings @ the bar, a band of mariachis came by and we danced to "Besome Mucho" right on the beach. It was amazing. Would highly recommend this tour or just a ride to anybody who rides the bike (mind you I myself is a back seat rider and still loved it).

progress.gif

• 4 weeks later...
People are going to think they paid me, but seriously, if you want something different, book the Tucan Sailing tour through Cozumel Sailing. Goes to North end of island, private beach, snorkeling, lunch, great drinks, spinnaker rides, etc. best day ever! My teens Loved it.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

We did this tour last month with Cozumel Sailing, and I will echo everything you've said. One of the best excursions we've done in the Caribbean. Very accommodating & helpful while we were booking, professional & attentive staff on the boat.... I can't say enough about it. I'm surprised they're not mentioned more here on CC. It was an awesome, awesome day.

We will be there in 3 weeks and booked the Cozumel Bar Hop Bus. They take you on a tour on the east side of the island and stop at 4 beach bars. At each stop, you have 50 minutes or so to walk beach, swim, eat, drink, or whatever you want to do. First drink is free at each stop. About $57 per person and is about 5 hours.

Our last trip we did the personal mini-subs.....aka....underwater scooters. Sooooo cool! Super easy and fun, not too expensive, close to the cruise docks and just an all around unique experience!!

Which company did you do this through? It seems there are about three different companies when I google it...looks like fun!

I pre-booked it through shoretrips.com and in Cozumel they use Oceanus at the Hotel Cozumel. We were able to use the pool and facilities after the sub ride as long as we wanted afterward.

Guides were great. They did a dvd with photos AND movie for only $35. BARGAIN! They did a really nice job.

I pre-booked it through shoretrips.com and in Cozumel they use Oceanus at the Hotel Cozumel. We were able to use the pool and facilities after the sub ride as long as we wanted afterward.

Guides were great. They did a dvd with photos AND movie for only $35. BARGAIN! They did a really nice job.

Great! Thanks for the info!

My favorite thing to do while in Cozumel is to spend part of the day at a place called The Money Bar. The Money Bar is a restaurant beside the ocean. There are so many things to do there and best of all, it's cheap. Here is what we do; after we leave the boat, we go to the taxi pickup and grab a taxi to the Money Bar which is only a few short miles away. (8 minutes and about $10 for all 5 of us). At the money bar, we eat a great authentic mexican lunch. (Sooo Good and inexpensive) then we all go snorkeling right there for free.

Now I have snorkeled all around Cozumel and I believe snorkeling at the Money Bar is just as good or better. In fact, the cruise ship snorkeling excursion makes a stop there off shore about 40 yards out. Snorkeling is great with some reefs and a lot off fish. There is a sunken pier about 40 yards off shore to the left of the money bar looking out to sea. If you need equipment, they have it to rent next door. They also have a small beach and chairs you can use for free. After you are finished you can wash up in their facilities which are quite nice. Don't forget your towels.

After a few hours there, we either go shopping or go back to town to Carlos & Charlies for a good time. I have visited The Money Bar the last 4 years and will be back again in May 2013. Can't wait...

If you want to see some pictures, check out their website http://www.moneybarbeachclub.com/

Sounds like a good plan and a very nice day!!

OK, if you don't mind, please explain the "underwater scooters."

You can see photos of them in my post. They are individual little "mini-subs". Your head and shoulders are inside of a bubble helmet that is attached to the scooter. Air is constantly being supplied to the helmet, so that there is no water in the helmet. you have a toggle switch to make you go forward, then you steer with the handles just as if you were on a scooter. You ride around underwater, about 15' deep following a guide who is scuba diving, and a photographer (also scuba) and they lead the way with the groups following along. At the end they tether you to a rope so you can turn your scooter off and just hang out underwater while they bring up cool things to hold like a sea spider, urchin, starfish, etc. Whatever they can find on that day. They also feed the fish for you for photos. It was a pretty cool experience. Very easy! Great for people who need to wear glasses, as your faces is out of the water and the helmet is a very clear glass bubble. Other than dunking your head under to get in and out (you are up on the surface when you get on the scooter) your head is completely out of the water.

Firefighter, you mentioned about the Money Bar in Cozumel, as well as others have. I really wasn't interested, until you said it had a FREE beach with chairs, etc., and the Taxi was inexpensive too. The Mexican food sounds great also.:)

My question, we are not into snorkling, so was the small beach very crowded when you were there? We just want to lay out in the sun/shade.

Firefighter, you mentioned about the Money Bar in Cozumel, as well as others have. I really wasn't interested, until you said it had a FREE beach with chairs, etc., and the Taxi was inexpensive too. The Mexican food sounds great also.:)

My question, we are not into snorkling, so was the small beach very crowded when you were there? We just want to lay out in the sun/shade.

We were at Money Bar in sept. The beach area is very small, but it's not like what you think of a sandy beach. There is a narrow sandy entrance into the water, but the shore is rocky, hence the good snorkeling. On the other end there are steps into the water. Not at all crowded when we were there in Sept. I think there was only 1 other ship in port. Food is good and beer is cold. A fun place but primarily for snorkelers.

If you search on here I think there are some photos posted.