Getting nervous here...

VallyD

Ditto I would love to read your review. Sadly I spend hours each week reading reviews of cruises that are on my bucket list and take years of saving to be able to afford. Please read Sailor Jack's reviews before you take your cruise. They put a whole new light on many of the ports of call and ships too. I too get anxious in the preparation part and drive DH crazy with the what ifs before our cruises. Go have fun on your belated honeymoon and please write a review when you get back.

Your first cruise will be the best you ever take. Everything is new to you. HAL has the best service.

We started cruising when we were in our early thirty's many years ago. We loved being one of the youngest passengers on board. Our small children (well behaved) were doted on by all. Now that we have 30 years of cruising behind us, still think of that very first cruise. Today's ships are more modern but that first cruise is still the best in our eyes. So will the cruise be perfect, maybe not, but you won't notice.

Have a great time.

I read a comment here on these HAL boards..Just last week on the bathrobe thread I think...along the lines of "perhaps you dont belong on HAL"

To me... besides being incredibly rude..that comment just smacked of elitism, and if I was HAL, I wouldnt want comments like that Potentially scaring away Newbie cruisers to HAL like myself.

Oh, I have seen that kind of comment on other cruise line boards too, especially Cunard :D

I'm sure it's too late for you to change now, but I think HAL will be a good fit with one exception. That is the VERY formal request. HAL will be miles above Carnival in dress and decorum but I only know of one line which is both VERY formal and allows smoking on verandahs, and that's Cunard. Next time you cruise you should have a look at them. Ironically, I will be stepping on one of their ships the day you board Eurodam. Don't worry, you will be pretty much in heaven on HAL.

On the dress issue, on a scale of 1 to 10 I would rate Carnival about a 3, HAL about a 7, and Cunard would be 10+. You'll have a wonderful honeymoon, and perhaps something to aspire to on your next cruise.

Roy

VallyD....

I saw your post on the Beauty and Fashion Board. Good you will be having fun outfitting DH before your cruise. Those are the fun sort of things that make the anticipation for our cruises more exciting. :)

Enjoy.

Another way to try to say what everyone else here has tried to say is, don't sweat the small stuff and here, it's almost all small stuff. We are a small minority of cruisers here at CC. Liken us to looking through a microscope at a drop of water; guard against being surprised at how much stuff you will see in that drop.

All of us have likes and dislikes about cruising and have each expressed them here on the boards. Most of us try to be helpful and sincere while expressing those opinions but there are always those few times when each of us will go above and beyond when trying to make a point. The problem comes when you mass all those molehills together in the form of a forum like this; they can become mountains of intimidating size.

Val, relax and enjoy your cruise. It wasn't long ago that I first started cruising and made myself apprehensive about things I'd read here on CC. I quickly found that I had allowed myself to be overwhelmed by some of it. It's nice to have the access to this "hindsight" of so many people like we have here, just use it wisely and remember, you are your own best counsel.

Enjoy your honeymoon cruise!!! I think you've picked a great cruiseline for the type of cruise you want. You and your husband will have a great time.

The comment on not smoking on your verandah during sailaways is excellent. I'll bet if a lot of cruisers did that a lot of the smoking threads would go away. If you are out on your verandah in the middle of the day, you may well be in the minority. You are allowed to smoke on your verandah and you have paid for it. Enjoy.

Dress to your hearts content on formal night. No one will think anything of it. We love formal nights and I love seeing my DH in a tux and I love getting dressed in a long gown. Be sure to have your pictures taken.

I didn't see if you planned to go to the Pinnacle Grill on your cruise (maybe I missed it), but it would be a nice romantic dinner. We usually go one night during the cruise and then always on the last night. It's a great way to end your cruise.

Whatever you do, enjoy yourselves. You only have 1 honeymoon and it should be special. Please come back and give us a review!!!!

VallyD

We will be on the N.A. in ten days. We are in our 40's We are a GAY couple who have been together 22 yrs. If you dont know, Years in Gay relationships...are like dog years vs Human years.

Oh how I wish you were on our cruise, that's the equivalent of being married fifty years :D Congratulations on that and thank you for the lovely post :)

VallyD....

I saw your post on the Beauty and Fashion Board. Good you will be having fun outfitting DH before your cruise. Those are the fun sort of things that make the anticipation for our cruises more exciting. :)

Enjoy.

It is a lot of fun :) I do a lot of "fashion shows" for the husband "this dress? this dress?" etc and to see him come in the other night in his suit and go "This suit?" was just priceless <3 <3<3

Take a lot of the comments you read here with a grain of salt. Approach your cruise with a great attitude and a sense of humour. (I guess you should approach your honeymoon the same way:)).

Good advice on how to approach your married life too.:)

It is a lot of fun :) I do a lot of "fashion shows" for the husband "this dress? this dress?" etc and to see him come in the other night in his suit and go "This suit?" was just priceless <3 <3<3

The dress you posted on that forum is lovely and you look beautiful in it. :)

I am sure you will have a great time on your honeymoon! Just relax and enjoy yourself! And don't worry about the smoking issue....you seem like a polite and sensible person so I am sure you will not find yourself in a sticky situation regarding smoking.......

And yes, HAL has a reputation for catering to the "older demographic", but don't let that deter you from having the time of your life. Young and Old(er) can both have a great time on the same ship! There is something for everyone to enjoy! Have fun and Happy Sailing!

Anyone know if there is a list somewhere that identifies each cruise line's smoking policies. I think Costa might be the most lenient (yes, i know, I know ...but she is still sailing a lot of her ships full and happy and it is more Italian and tolerant of smokers). MSC is another more European cruise line that might also have a more open smoking policy.

The caution is this needs to be an up to date list because even recently there was a member review about the Rotteredam by an irate smoker who found only one side of the aft deck pool available for smoking after thinking he/she had a much more liberal onboard smoking policy.

Crystal ships have (had?) a special cigar lounge - lovely and set off by itself and reeking with smoke but a perfect way to handle smokers who want a special place where they can enjoy this and also share the company of others. (BTW: Crystal sounds more like what the OP might be looking for - and sometimes they have bargain prices.)

Additionally with the increase in marijuana use particularly among the younger generations and its "medical" designation now in many states, how are ships going to deal with its more far prevalent use leaving its pungent and tenacious odor trail?

PS: Google "<cruisetalk and smoking policies> and you can find their list of various policies as they have best been able to put together.

PS Val, read my last post on the Unlimited Beverage Thread if you haven't already.......it kind of sums up the age topic. In a nutshell, behaving badly is not attractive for ANY age group. And I have seen bad behavior crossing ALL age lines. You seem to be a very nice person who will fit in on any ship with any group of people. Please don't stress about that! :)

Another way to try to say what everyone else here has tried to say is, don't sweat the small stuff and here, it's almost all small stuff. We are a small minority of cruisers here at CC. Liken us to looking through a microscope at a drop of water; guard against being surprised at how much stuff you will see in that drop.

All of us have likes and dislikes about cruising and have each expressed them here on the boards. Most of us try to be helpful and sincere while expressing those opinions but there are always those few times when each of us will go above and beyond when trying to make a point. The problem comes when you mass all those molehills together in the form of a forum like this; they can become mountains of intimidating size.

Val, relax and enjoy your cruise. It wasn't long ago that I first started cruising and made myself apprehensive about things I'd read here on CC. I quickly found that I had allowed myself to be overwhelmed by some of it. It's nice to have the access to this "hindsight" of so many people like we have here, just use it wisely and remember, you are your own best counsel.

^^^ what he said:)

And to add, I was also extremely nervous before my first cruise, years ago when it still had the reputation of being not for us working stiffs:rolleyes: Well, I had a fabulous time, thoroughly enjoyed everything it had to offer (this was on HAL's Veendam) and have cruised frequently since, on a couple of different cruise lines. Just go, relax, enjoy.

Oh how I wish you were on our cruise, that's the equivalent of being married fifty years :D Congratulations on that and thank you for the lovely post :)

No Problem.... Hope you have a great time....!

Dont know if you know...But you can youtube these ships..from the cabins to the dining rooms to the food....to the on board life... to kinda get a "feel" for the ship before you go.... Might help put you at ease...

Check out some of the Cunard vids.... WOW

VallyD

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about....and I feel your pain...so to speak...

I dont know if its's Cruisecritic in general, or just the "fans" of HAL. CC is a wealth of information...alot of it Factual...and a whole lot more of it...Subjective, and less factual. One of the reasons why I quit participating in Cruise critic discussions in the late 90's...and then again in the early 2000's LOL :D

I read a comment here on these HAL boards..Just last week on the bathrobe thread I think...along the lines of "perhaps you dont belong on HAL"

To me... besides being incredibly rude..that comment just smacked of elitism, and if I was HAL, I wouldnt want comments like that Potentially scaring away Newbie cruisers to HAL like myself.

After all, it IS the hospitality industry....Everybody should be welcome. After you pay the fare of course. Whether you smoke, Drink your drinks on an unlimited drink card, wear a tux on formal night or not, Wear a bathrobe outside of your cabin to the pool, ride on a hoveround, or whatever...and Im sure they ARE according to HAL.

It's just that WE sometimes get so wrapped up in planning our cruises...that we let some internet Blowhards...that arent even going to be on the ship with us...get us worked up...most times for nothing.

Im very nervous about our upcoming HAL cruise too. We have been on other ships, of course..and we usually have a good time. Yes..these HAL ships might be a little sedate for us...But we wont know till we try it. Right?

We will be on the N.A. in ten days. We are in our 40's We are a GAY couple who have been together 22 yrs. If you dont know, Years in Gay relationships...are like dog years vs Human years. The point? Id say we are kinda out of the HAL demo, except we like to eat, and lay around by a pool, and we arent afraid of a drink. We arent really the "formal night types" and I may or may not pack a dark suit, I dont own a tux.... as a guy who was forced to wear suits and ties for work for years...I never really wanted to see formal wear on my vacations...But thats just me... We just wanted to try something different. We loved celebrity Last year....I had no interest in trying RCCL and the allure/oasis , so HAL seemed like a good fit for us.

My last major hangup is that Im kinda kicking myself, because I didnt do the SC upsell..at 1,200 From our VH-VQ guarantee, But Ball and Chain aint feeling it... maybe next time.

Id say..just go. Relax your mind...Quit stressing about your vacation/honeymoon and just have a nice time. Take lots of notes..because I for one will want to read your review.

Take care

Joe

Joe, you hit the nail on the head and I want to hit that LIKE Button, but alas, there aint none:(

Hey, I have one of those Ball & Chains too:D Gotta luv em though:)

Joanie

The dress you posted on that forum is lovely and you look beautiful in it. :)

While I am incredibly flattered by this, I am so sorry to say that is not me in that dress LOL!! It's from the website, I guess I could see it tho, if I was super duper tan and a little more well....top heavy lol!

New cruisers are not the only ones who worry about their cruises after reading reviews here! :rolleyes:

I have 300+ days on HAL but find myself being "sucked in" to bad reviews here and questioning my cruise choice before many of my 30 cruises on HAL. :eek: Each and every time, the issues I had stressed about were non-issues when we finally took the cruise!! :rolleyes: :D

Relax, smoke on your balcony when you choose and enjoy your honeymoon!!! I promise that CC and the comments you have read will be a distant memory after the first day or 2 of your cruise!! :D

Joe, you hit the nail on the head and I want to hit that LIKE Button, but alas, there aint none:(

Hey, I have one of those Ball & Chains too:D Gotta luv em though:)

Joanie

Thanks... And I love your cabin photos page... Been studying it real hard lately...Thanks alot! Hope to add to it soon... Ill just email you the photos..and a brief description?

I think you should forget the negativity of this board. There's a wealth of info shared here, so read and take what you can from it. Ignore the smoking threads, the dress code threads, and the cutback threads. Don't even open them because they always turn nasty and after having read one or two, you aren't likely to learn anything new anway.

You'll have a great time on your cruise! And while it may not be "perfect" (what vacation ever is?) HAL offers a fantastic experience. It is unlikely you will meet any of the negative nellies on your cruise. We didn't. The service was fantastic. The other pax were great! We saw no snobs and no slobs. And do you really care if they have fewer flowers than 5 years ago, or they served whipped cream cheese instead of block?

As far as smoking on your balcony, HAL allows it, so you have the right. There are other cruise lines that do not allow smoking on their balconies so they have options.. I have asthma and it is triggered by cigarette smoke, but I think if you show a little consideration to your neighbors, you can get along without anyone flaming you. if I were on my balcony and my neighbor came out to smoke, I would appreciate a freindly warning, like "Hi! I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to have a cigarette. It will only take 5 minutes or so and I'll be done." That would give me a chance to run inside for a few so I can avoid an asthma attack. IMO the biggest smoking complaint here are chain smokers who spend the entire cruise on their balcony.

Enjoy your cruise :)

Just wanted to add real quick, on our only HAL cruise, the age of passengers was pretty well spread from 30 to 80. We did NOT feel like it was particularly "old". We're 42 and 44. The elderly that were around were pretty active and healthy. Very very few walkers and wheel chairs. Most were just enjoying their retirement.

And congrats on your marriage :) We just celebrated our 25th anniversary on Feb 27th. Our Alaska cruise was to celebrate it :)

While we were in a little village in Lombok, Indonesia on our recent cruise one of the passengers asked the rather ancient, weathered looking lady demonstrating their local pottery, how old she was.

She replied 58 and then asked how old the questioner was, who replied in her " in her 70's".

That generated a big laugh from the group of lady pottery makers which the guide explained was the "in her 70's" passenger sure looked good because if you were that old on this island you were hunched over, bent and non-active. They claimed our HAL "in her 70's" passenger looked pretty darn good!

Archived