Cabin Door Decorations

I always decorate my door...love the festivity of it all. I use the blue painters tape to attach my items. I did use the gels one time...thought that was a great new invention and creative designs, BUT they did not cling to the door the entire 14 days and when they fell off, they left a colored residue stain on the door ( lots of reds, purple, green...steward had to scrub the door and most came off, but not all). My room Stewart was not very happy with me....so be careful with those colorful decorations:rolleyes: Lesson learned for me...I'm back to blue tape...

I love the idea of door decorations. My son will only be 3 and he likes to find our room when we go anywhere. So I would like him to know which one of ours. :)

Have those of you who have decorated doors in the past find tape/magnets/clings work best? I know some cruise lines (Disney) only allow magnets as they don't want their doors to have sticky residue on them after you remove your decorations.

We are cruising the week before Christmas. I have tinkered with the idea of bringing some battery operated lights with us for the balcony... thoughts?

I always decorate my door...love the festivity of it all. I use the blue painters tape to attach my items. I did use the gels one time...thought that was a great new invention and creative designs, BUT they did not cling to the door the entire 14 days and when they fell off, they left a colored residue stain on the door ( lots of reds, purple, green...steward had to scrub the door and most came off, but not all). My room Stewart was not very happy with me....so be careful with those colorful decorations:rolleyes: Lesson learned for me...I'm back to blue tape...

Thanks for the warning. I would hate to make extra, unnecessary work for our hard working stewards.

Thanks for the warning. I would hate to make extra, unnecessary work for our hard working stewards.

If doors are not metal the painters tape works great. On our B2B, which was a total of 21 days, the tape came right off and never left a mark.

Edited by retiredgram

I love the idea of door decorations. My son will only be 3 and he likes to find our room when we go anywhere. So I would like him to know which one of ours. :)

Have those of you who have decorated doors in the past find tape/magnets/clings work best? I know some cruise lines (Disney) only allow magnets as they don't want their doors to have sticky residue on them after you remove your decorations.

We are cruising the week before Christmas. I have tinkered with the idea of bringing some battery operated lights with us for the balcony... thoughts?

Sounds fun. I love Christmas lights! Your son will be delighted. Don't forget to include a small Christmas tree.

Thanks for the heads up about the gel residue. I guess I'll just use them on the mirror or balcony slider. I'll look for magnets or make my own. Thanks again!

Ok, so I know this topic has been discussed a lot all throughout the boards here on cruise critic, but I wanted to get some new information.

I have sailed a few times but NEVER decorated our cabin door. This time though, I'm seriously considering it after reading and seeing all the photos of decorated cabin doors. I personally love seeing them on the cruises I have been on. I'm just curious....what are some of your cabin door decorating theme's and ideas. Where do you get your decorations? Are they magnets or do you tape/stick them on by other means?

Feel free to share your cabin door pictures!

We have always decorated with magnets for our state and favorite teams..we have never had an issue with anyone taking our decorations, but we have had them moved around and several obnoxious messages left on our doors; however, our room stewards have taken them down and have told us after the fact to protect us.......I guess there are a lot of sore losers out there when it comes to college sports............

I love to decorate the door...so much easier to find especially after the LOOOONG nights having Cocktails with all of our new friends....even all of you fellow CC'ers....But I am worried about our April 7th Freedon OTS Cruise...I know it is spring break and I am betting what ever I put up will not last the first night....except the sign......... DO NOT STEAL " :mad:

Mike

I got those wood pieces from hobby lobby in the shapes of different things like palm trees, a sun, fish, and other things. I stuck magnets on the back of the wood pieces and then tape on the other things. I also got some flip flops that were originially a garland/curtain and I cut the flip flops off and wrote letters on them so that together they spelled out BEACH BEAUTIES. I also had a cruise critic sign on my door for the meet and mingle and then I had a sign made that said "celebrating my first cruise". We only had two of the letters stolen the second day but thankfully I brought backups to replace the stolen ones. I'll post pictures, I just got back yesterday from Allure of the Seas and am still in the process of uploading pictures.

I'm traveling with three girlfriends who have never cruised before, and we're all celebrating various stuff (birthdays, graduations, etc.), so I will be decorating our doors and insides as well to honor the "specialness" of the cruise for us all.

My stuff came from dollar stores. I have "decorative wall stickers" (the kind that are made to be removed easily) and anything that isn't self-stick I'll be affixing with 3M Command Poster Strips (you pull the tab and the adhesive releases itself without leaving any residue or color).

I also got "glow in the dark" fishies for each room (also going to be affixed with Command strips) because we have inside cabins -- I'll use the fishies to show the way to the bathroom.

I'll try to remember to get pictures and post back here in a month!

not sure about all the problems with those gel stickers...maybe it's certain brands...I had those same ones another poster had from the Dollar Tree...there were a few different sets--crabs, palm trees, sand buckets, waves, bathing suits, flip flops...the only ones that came off a couple of times were the really small pieces...and there was no residue whatsoever when I took them down...after hearing of some of the negatives others experienced, I will only use the ones I've gotten from the Dollar Tree

Wow! There are a lot of very creative, festive people on this board. Thanks for sharing the pics. If I had more time it would be fun to see what I could come up with, but for me, it's the easiest to get the magnets from Serendipity Favors. If I ever have time to do my own I'll be sure to share my pics.

We cruise every year for my mom's birthday. One year we bought the decoration package on board, but other than that I have always decorated both the interior of her room and the door. Magnets and regular tape work, although the tape has come down if the item was too heavy. We also bring magnetic clips and sticky notes to leave each other notes as to where we are going/doing, etc - esp. nice on sea days

• 11 months later...

I've never done this but think I will. I'm celebrating a milestone birthday.

My 'theme' could be something like 'celebrating life and livin' the dream'

I'd like to put a little bag on the door and welcome 'gifts and notes'.. referring to fun little free or cheap things, not wanting strangers to actually leave gifts.. is that tacky? will people know what I mean if it says 'gifts and notes welcome'?

Actually do I really care if they think it is tacky? I think it would be fun

My cabin is in a pretty low traffic area and I'm not going during any holiday, so the odds of kids taking my stuff would be low.

Any thoughts?

• 3 years later...

SO glad I found this thread.

My future DIL's bday is the day after we get home, but we are celebrating it all week, whether she likes it or not..It's her "1st anniversary of her 29th bday" as she tells it."

i bought window cling vinyl-was going to use my vinyl cutting machine...and also have non-permanent vinyl...but am worried they will not work...

So: vinyl stickies that will peel off? Clings that will peel off even easier? Or magnetic sheets???

We have adjoining rooms--so if I don't use the vinyl window clings for their door, the balcony door WILL be decorated..and oh yes, I *am* having the inside of their cabin decorated...

These magnetic sheets are AMAZING! The print quality was far better than the same design on a higher priced, more well known brand name. You can print anything you want on them and stick them right on the door.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008U2S0H0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks! I am going to get at least one package of these!