Pre-cruise tour around anchorage

firemox

Hi All,

Our group of 9 just booked our cruise with princess on June 29th (Anchorage to Vancouver 7 days). Budget is a concern but we are willing to pay some money to go see some of the sites if its great "bang for the buck".

We plan to arrive at Anchorage on 26th and do some pre-cruise tour (Denali for sure).

I was wondering if any Alaska gurus here can give me some advice for Anchorage.

1. Any suggestions on how we should do Denali? (Tour with a company, self tour with rental car, train ride?)

2. Usually how many days should we spend on Denali? If its more than one day, what are some hotel options for Denali?

3. Is there any hotel recommendations for Anchorage that is relatively close to places of interest?

4. Should we do rental cars for the days at Anchorage?

5. Any recommendations for must try restaurants in Anchorage?

I apologize for this many questions. And appreciate any inputs. Many thanks.

Jason

Hi All,

Our group of 9 just booked our cruise with princess on June 29th (Anchorage to Vancouver 7 days). Budget is a concern but we are willing to pay some money to go see some of the sites if its great "bang for the buck".

We plan to arrive at Anchorage on 26th and do some pre-cruise tour (Denali for sure).

I was wondering if any Alaska gurus here can give me some advice for Anchorage.

1. Any suggestions on how we should do Denali? (Tour with a company, self tour with rental car, train ride?)

2. Usually how many days should we spend on Denali? If its more than one day, what are some hotel options for Denali?

3. Is there any hotel recommendations for Anchorage that is relatively close to places of interest?

4. Should we do rental cars for the days at Anchorage?

5. Any recommendations for must try restaurants in Anchorage?

I apologize for this many questions. And appreciate any inputs. Many thanks.

Jason

You are all arriving the 26th? You are very short on time for Denali Park. This ideally needs two nights. You need to allow 6hours for the drive Anchorage/Denali. Forget the train, you do not have enough time. A rental car or bus are the only options with a car rental the most efficient use of time. You do realize you need to get INTO the park? I recommend the Eielson shuttle bus, as a min.

Figure out, if there is anything else you want to do at Denali. http://www.nps.gov/dena

I would forget about Anchorage touring, except for your first day, and instead your day of embarkment tour Mat Su and drive yourselves to Whittier. One way Avis rental cars are necessary- be prepared for the high costs.

Another option would be to get back to Anchorage 28th- late- again less than ideal as this would be your park access day. Then embarkment day, take the Alaska RR to Whittier and then the Prince William Sound boat tour. Don't be in any rush to get on the ship. Also some bus options possible.

Once you find out about all this transit time and really not enough time for Denali Park, you may want to rethink this idea. Best would be to add at least another day. Also may be a good idea to split up, if some are receptive and others not. I wouldn't think everyone has the same ideas or interests.

Hi Budget Queen,

Thanks for your input. Let me give you a few more details about our options.

We have a choice of landing in Anchorage at 1am or 2pm with the 2pm flight being $100 more. If you think that the time would be too tight, maybe we should consider 1am and just crash at the airport until business open? Then we could head straight to Denali?

About Denali, is it better to do the bus tour that is offered or just drive around the park on our own? We have a 9-year old and elderly, so any activities would be nothing extreme.

I'm also interested in the Prince William Sound boat tour, where would I book something like that?

Thanks!

Jason

Hi Budget Queen,

We have a choice of landing in Anchorage at 1am or 2pm with the 2pm flight being $100 more. If you think that the time would be too tight, maybe we should consider 1am and just crash at the airport until business open? Then we could head straight to Denali?

About Denali, is it better to do the bus tour that is offered or just drive around the park on our own? We have a 9-year old and elderly, so any activities would be nothing extreme.

I'm also interested in the Prince William Sound boat tour, where would I book something like that?

Thanks!

Jason

You aren't lowed to drive yourself into Denali - check the link BQ gave you and look at the bus tours and shuttles and pick what suits you... PWS cruises are offered by Major Marine - they have 2 to choose from

http://www.majormarine.com/alaska-day-cruises/prince-william-sound-glacier-cruise/

Hi Budget Queen,

Thanks!

Jason

It really isn't sound thinking, you will be able to hang out in the Airport until later morning and then drive to Denali. The fatigue factor alone puts you at risk, in my opinion, with a 6 hour drive to Denali. And how much are you going to enjoy doing this?

As I linked- you do not have an accurate idea of what Denali involves. No, you don't just "drive around". There is only 16 miles of the 90+ open to the public for driving. There is no point in even spending all those hours in transit if you don't at least get to mile 66 - Eielson, in my opinion. This isn't a couple hour trip- it requires an investment of at least 9 hours. Again, take the time to read through the details, otherwise, you are going to continue with the possibility of plans that won't go together.

An alternative, I suggest you also consider is looking at Seward. Get the one way Avis car rentals- may have a van available? IF even a remote possibility- reserve now. can use this with going to Denali as well. As I already mentioned= a one way car rental is costly- but makes far better use of short time. Seward has many shorter tours available- a look at Exit Glacier, Seavey's Sled dogs, the Sealife Center, and jackpot of wildlife tours- a Kenai Fjords boat tour- needing at least 6 hours on the water. On the way to Seward- there is the Wildlife Conservatory, Portage Glacier visitor center, Girdwood, the Arm etc. Purchasing a coupon book could offer a 2 for 1 deal on the boat tours.

If Anchorage is of interest- (do your homework and find out if it is) you could have time for that too.

http://www.anchorage.net http://www.seward.com

With about a 9am Seward departure, you can also do the Prince William Sound boat tour, embarkment day.

The OP has used the words "budget is a concern...." I am assuming that the OP has booked a June 2013 cruise. One of the first priorities may be to book hotel rooms. The availability and price may determine whether this group heads north from Anchorage to Denali or south to Seward.

The OP has used the words "budget is a concern...." I am assuming that the OP has booked a June 2013 cruise. One of the first priorities may be to book hotel rooms. The availability and price may determine whether this group heads north from Anchorage to Denali or south to Seward.

Yes very true. I didn't mention it, since I do not want the lodging cost to determine where they go. I think Denali is too tight. Hopefully some more reading will point them in the direction they want to go, along with realistic transit and touring times needed.

Is it worth it to do the tour bus rather than the shuttle bus for Denali? Is it that much better to have a narration or is there signs and writing along different scenic spots to know what is going on?

Thanks BQ, I did alot of reading after your suggestions. Do you think this will work?

June 25 night flight, arrive at Anchorage on 1am June 26

June 26

We tough it out from 1AM until the car rental company open at Anchorage airport and get our rental car (most likely 7AM???).

Drive to Denali right away... (4 -5 hours)

Check in and spend the night at a hotel near Denali (rest up)

Maybe two of us can go to the park visitor center and buy bus/visitor pass

June 27

next morning, we all head into Denali and spend the day there, Maybe do a all day tour bus.

spend the night

June 28

Check out of Denali hotel

Spend maybe another half day at Denali, then drive back to Anchorage

Check into a hotel at Anchorage for one night

June 29

Check out hotel at Anchorage

Return rental car

Get transfer to Whittier

Tour maybe or just get on the ship

With this plan, we would be spending one and half day at Denali with 3 hotel nights. Is this reasonable or not worth the trip still?

June 26

We tough it out from 1AM until the car rental company open at Anchorage airport and get our rental car (most likely 7AM???).

I am not Budget Queen, but I live in Alaska. There must be some important fact/issue that I am missing. With a party of nine, including a nine year old child and "elderly" why are you considering that you "tough it out from 1 AM" at the Anchorage airport? Why not just pick up a van and head directly to a hotel/motel? Also be aware that this is a very late cruise booking, and a priority is making hotel reservations ASAP for such a party if you are considering Denali.

I ditto Aurora's post. Use some of the money you are saving by coming in on that flight for a couple hotel rooms. Then when everyone is up, go get the van or a couple of cars (if you didn't get them when you flew in) and actually enjoy your drive to Denali. Have your jammies and toothbrushes in your carry-ons, use a hotel with a shuttle, and get a few hours of shut-eye. You have all day to get to Denali, so there's no reason to leave at the crack of dawn. Embassy Suites has a 2 bedroom suite that holds 8 people for about $400. Depending on the age/size of person #9, that may or may not work.

At the very least, choose a car rental company that is open until after 1 (at least one is), and get a van or car then and begin driving. The problem with that will be that everyone will sleep most of the trip in the car and miss things. And remember the time change...even though it's only an hour, when you've been up all night that will make it worse.

Thanks BQ, I did alot of reading after your suggestions. Do you think this will work?

June 25 night flight, arrive at Anchorage on 1am June 26

June 26

Drive to Denali right away... (4 -5 hours)

Check in and spend the night at a hotel near Denali (rest up)

Maybe two of us can go to the park visitor center and buy bus/visitor pass

June 27

next morning, we all head into Denali and spend the day there, Maybe do a all day tour bus.

spend the night

June 28

Check out of Denali hotel

Spend maybe another half day at Denali, then drive back to Anchorage

Check into a hotel at Anchorage for one night

June 29

Check out hotel at Anchorage

Return rental car

Get transfer to Whittier

Tour maybe or just get on the ship

With this plan, we would be spending one and half day at Denali with 3 hotel nights. Is this reasonable or not worth the trip still?

I agree with the locals, get a hotel after you arrive. get up around 10am- you have to allow more time for the drive- I recommend 6 hours- PLUS, you need a grocery stop for Denali. You may want to make a few stops on the way up, Hatcher Pass, Talkeetna is good for a meal stop. Don't be in any marathon rush.

Denali is all about distance and getting INTO the park. What the priority is scenery and some wildlife- binoculars are necessary. No "tour" is needed- if you want to know more about the history, "developement" etc then get a book. :) There aren't any "signs" etc- it's all wide open wilderness. As I continue to mention, IF your group is not going to go to at least mile 53- I wouldn't even consider going there. So be sure, you have the commitment to do this. You DO have to purchase bus tickets in advance. Walk up purchases will be impossible getting 9 seats on the same bus

Absolutely necessary- you continue to mention a single "car", with 9 people, it will be more that that- so that needs to be a priority to book at this time- now. In the past, there were some independents that had the bigger vans, holding more than than the standard 7. Don't overload past capacity, needing belts for everyone. independent listings http://www.anchorage.net Other wise, 2 larger cars will be necessary. Car rental prices do nothing but go up.

There are budget lodging options a few miles outside of the park entrance in Denali.

I agree with the others. Having spent a lot of time in the Anchorage airport, it is not the best place to "tough it out". There is not a lot of places to sleep and, in the summer, it stays pretty active.

Besides, you should be able to find a rental car company that is open at those hours-a lot of visitors come in between midnight and 2 am.

Get to the rental car and go to a hotel and sleep.

Driving to Denali is a long drive and you will not be in great shape if you try to "tough it out".

Thanks BQ,

There were some changes to our plan since last night. Only 7 of us are going to denali now instead of 9, the other 2 will get to Anchorage on the night before the cruise. This works out well since the 7 that arrive first can meet up with the other 2 at Anchorage the night before and get on the ship together.

I agree with your car comment. 7 is still a large number for one car. Maybe a minivan or a SUV with three rows of seats. I am still worried about all the luggage that 7 people can generate. It might be safer with 2 cars.

I found a B&B cabin place called Ridge Top about 20 min out of Denali entrance. The lady on the phone was very accommodating. We are thinking about getting the large 6 people cabin for our 7 people. Its a two bedroom cabin with a queen pull out sofa. We are not large people, so I feel like it should be ok since one of the 7 is actually a 8 year old.

Do you or anyone know what is the latest time that we have to be at the dock to board the cruise ship?

Jason

Do you or anyone know what is the latest time that we have to be at the dock to board the cruise ship?

Jason

On embarkation day most lines require all passengers to be on board ninety minutes before the ship sails. Obviously they don't ask that passengers be back on board ninety minutes at port calls.

You can easily get by with a 7 passenger van if you get a hotel in Anchorage upon arrival. Then you can leave a lot of your luggage in the hotel - pack at home knowing you will need clothes, etc. for 2 nights at Denali. Most hotels will store excess luggage for free if you stay with them.

You need to talk with the people at the cabin about putting 7 in a cabin designed for 6. If they are OK with it, fine. If they are not, then you need to look elsewhere. It is not a matter of being large people or not. It is a matter of fire regulations/maximum number of occupants, etc.

You might consider two one-way car rentals from Anchorage to Whittier the day of your cruise. With 9 of you, even with the hefty drop off fee, it very well might be worth it. That will allow you to make multiple stops along the way.

Also, book the shuttle bus in Denali once the plans are firm. Do not wait until your arrival!

Thanks BQ,

There were some changes to our plan since last night. Only 7 of us are going to denali now instead of 9, the other 2 will get to Anchorage on the night before the cruise. This works out well since the 7 that arrive first can meet up with the other 2 at Anchorage the night before and get on the ship together.

I agree with your car comment. 7 is still a large number for one car. Maybe a minivan or a SUV with three rows of seats. I am still worried about all the luggage that 7 people can generate. It might be safer with 2 cars.

I found a B&B cabin place called Ridge Top about 20 min out of Denali entrance. The lady on the phone was very accommodating. We are thinking about getting the large 6 people cabin for our 7 people. Its a two bedroom cabin with a queen pull out sofa. We are not large people, so I feel like it should be ok since one of the 7 is actually a 8 year old.

Jason

You absolutely need to fully disclose you have 7 people with your lodging. Don't just sneak an extra person in. As already noted, fire regulations may prevent 7 in the room, and IF there is an emergency- you don't want to have any issue with not accounting for a member of your group.

Likely the best transfer will be two cars, to Whittier. If you need to, see if there are any car dealer open houses to check out trunks. A local Avis car rental, may offer you an option to stop by and look as well. Key will be to pack lighter and consider doing laundry. A couple would be ideal to have 1 bag- which is what I do, since I have to haul it. :) I use Zote laundry soap for some hand washing, works excellent for me. My last trip doing this, I was gone a month. :) Also would be a benefit with baggage fees. :)

The rest of your trip- Anchorage/Denali, as mentioned, might get by with the van. A round trip Anchorage rental is usually the cheapest. Upon your day prior to Whittier embarkment- trade off to the 2 cars- which should manage your group.

As mentioned, your embarkment day- can be fully loaded with more touring. You may want to consider spliting up your group- per car, allowing one to take the Prince William Sound boat tour- if of interest. That car for an afternoon tour, needs to be through the 11:30am tunnel (I believe- verify). Otherwise, going through the 5:30pm tunnel works out, if departure is 8pm.

Take a good look at what could be available to occupy your time, based on interests, then further fine tune your plans. Your itinerary is nicely coming together- BUT get those car rentals- now. Can easily cancel, if changes are needed. Don't wait on this.

Archived