opinions on front facing cabins to Alaska in May

EileenN

We are trying to decide between front facing (fore) or aft facing cabin for May. We question weather and wind factors. We are aware that May is usually less rain but how comfortable will it be for Glasier gazing. Appreciate any comments.

We were recently in one of the SE penthouse suites on the Star (10000). We loved the room and balcony, but it was windy and I am sure it would be chilly in May. I'd go for the aft in this case. We did an Alaskan cruise with a mini suite a few years back. It is fantastic!

Average High is 57, low 41 for May with 3.4 inches average rain for the month.

I think that most of the glacier viewing will be with the ship moving very slowly, so the wind factor from the ship will be minimal for that part. The forward-facing balconies do have a slanted, solid barrier forward, so much of the wind is deflected upward. Now, when the ship is moving at 25 mpg, the wind chill will be a significant factor...although you will be out of frostbite range.

No matter what, it will seem chilly to most people, especially if the sun is not out. But that can be said for most of the outdoors spaces on the ship.

Now, when the ship is moving at 25 mpg, the wind chill will be a significant factor...although you will be out of frostbite range.

Here is a link to a wind chill chart

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/windchill/index.shtml

You're not going to want to watch Alaska from behind glass. You'll want to be outside and feel, smell and hear Alaska. We were on a starboard balcony and fine. When I went up to the top deck into the cold wind I thought I was going to die. :)

Get a balcony, and get one out of the wind

Archived