Tips in steakhouse

hockeypapa

A tip is included but they will not tell us how much of a tip is included.

We have found service to vary. Sometimes great and we will leave an extra tip, sometime just ok and we will not and once awful and wished we could remove it.

Generally though it has been above average.

We always tip extra at least $20.00 for three of us.

OP suggest you do what you feel is appropriate to you.

We almost booked your fascination cruise as we will be in Florida for a weeding just before cruise.

After thinking about it had two problems.

1. did we really want to do an older and smaller ship after doing the two latest CCL classes of ships.

2. We have been doing 7 or 8 day ones and had no excitement doing a 5.

Have a great tme.

JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF THE TIP IS INCLUDED IN THE UPCHARGE FOR THE STEAKHOUSE:p IF NOT HOW MUCH OF A TIP SHOULD A PERSON LEAVE???? THANK YOU:rolleyes:

Yes, the tip is included.

Unfortunately, they often try to make you think it is not, even when asked directly.

Yes, tip is included. From Carnival's site:

The $35 fee includes an appetizer, entrée, dessert and the wait staff's gratuity; additional gratuities are optional and may be extended in cash or to the guest's Sail & Sign Account, at the guest's discretion. The reservation fee does not include any beverage that is normally ordered through the bar service such as wine, liquor, soda and bottled water.

We've always experienced excellent service in the steakhouse and leave an additonal $10 for the two of us.

Enjoy!

OP, tip what you like....Im sure many don't tip

Hi Stu- Thank you Stu....to me any cruise is better than no cruise lol We generally go on weekend trips also but this time we taking the shorter cruise instead of heading over Tampa Hard Rock or Orlando and spares me the driving to get to those places, in addition, my daughter and her bf will be coming on this cruise also which will be very nice.

Four weeks later I will be back on NCL on the brand new Breakaway that gets to NY on May 12th. She is amazing, offers over 9 different specialty restaurants and top notch entertainment such as Rock of Ages (that will be here in my area in April tickets cost $71.00 each) and Cirque show.

The Fascination got out of dry dock this past January, new carpets, fresh paint, new dining rooms, updating staterooms so this is a plus to us also. We also find on these smaller ships we get to meet friends and actually see one another many times since the ship is more quaint, where the large ships you meet people and generally never see them again.

I understand about how you feel how could one go on smaller ship from being on large ships but we do it alot we been on many RC large ships and the Dream...we like a change and makes it a different type of vacation for us. Its like a mini getaway but on the high seas. :p

It would of been very nice to see you two on a ship again, maybe another time. ;)

I saw on Carnival's site the charge IS the tip.

Where did you see that on their site? I've seen only that the tip "is included," not that the charge is the tip. I can't imagine the wait staff gets the full $35 for each diner--that would be a nice gig! :D The food served in the steakhouse is higher quality than what we get in the MDR; I imagine some of the charge must go toward providing the higher-grade steaks.

Where did you see that on their site? I've seen only that the tip "is included," not that the charge is the tip. I can't imagine the wait staff gets the full $35 for each diner--that would be a nice gig! :D The food served in the steakhouse is higher quality than what we get in the MDR; I imagine some of the charge must go toward providing the higher-grade steaks.

It may go way back to the introduction of the Supper Club, where we were all told that "Carnival does NOT charge for food. The fee is for the venue and the service."

And at the time was $25.

But I do often wonder, when the tip in the MDR for their meal is a little less than $2 per person, what the servers in the steakhouse do that people throw $20 to $50 extra at them.

It may go way back to the introduction of the Supper Club, where we were all told that "Carnival does NOT charge for food. The fee is for the venue and the service."

And at the time was $25.

But I do often wonder, when the tip in the MDR for their meal is a little less than $2 per person, what the servers in the steakhouse do that people throw $20 to $50 extra at them.

That makes sense. Thanks.

Since the service is usually excellent in the steakhouse, we leave an extra $10 for the two of us. My thinking is that they probably don't get much of that $35 and they do provide excellent service. It has to be more than what the servers in the MDR get--I had a conversation with one of the servers (this was on Princess where the service in the steakhouse was even better than I've had in Carnival steakhouses) and she said she'd been a server for a couple of years before she made it to the steakhouse and that working in the steakhouse was something the servers worked toward. Of course, that's an assumption on my part since it could be the extra tips that make it a coveted venue to work in (besides not being as hectic as the MDR).

All things considered, I feel they do deserve an additional tip, but I don't go overboard (pun intended). :D We have reservations for three nights in the steakhouse on our upcoming cruise--we usually do one or two on a 7-day cruise, but this one is a 12-day and there've been so many price drops, I have almost 1/3 the cost of the pp fare in OBC. :D

And at the time was $25.

Yes, it was back then.

Archived