Help with PEI excursion choices

We are considering two excursions while on PEI:

PEI Island Drive & Anne of Green Gables-

Explore Canada’s tiniest and arguably most charming province, famous for its red earth and white beaches. A panoramic drive takes you through the same historic streets as the delegates did when they gathered in 1864 for the Charlottetown Conference that led to Confederation of Canada. Next, you will venture to the North Shore for a shift in focus. Enjoying the picturesque views of the rolling hills along the countryside, you will stop at Green Gables, the farmstead that inspired the setting for L.M. Montgomery to create her beloved tale of a red-haired orphan, Anne of Green Gables. Visit Cavendish Beach to capture incredible scenery and you will pass through pastoral farmland en route back the ship in Charlottetown.

3 1/2 hrs $51

Panoramic Island Drive-

This delightful half-day panoramic drive is designed to showcase Prince Edward Island's most impressive landmarks. Heading out along the South Shore, the first stop of the day is at Victoria-by-the Sea, a haven for artists with its picturesque harbor and lighthouse. Travel west to view the stunning Confederation Bridge, linking Prince Edward Island to mainland Canada and the province of New Brunswick. Opened in 1997, it is an incredible eight miles long, making it the longest crossing over icy waters in the world. This billion-dollar construction project was lauded as one of Canada’s top engineering achievements of the 20th century. Enjoy a shopping stop at Cavendish Figurines at the Gateways Village—the largest souvenir shop on the island. Browse for gifts, enjoy a refreshment (at your own expense), and even dress up as Anne and have your photo taken (at your own expense) before heading back to port.

3 3/4 hrs, $40

I did like Anne of Green Gables but don't really care if I see that. We're more concerned with scenery and photography.

Any suggestions?

since we seem to have similar itinerary?

We chose the island cruise,since no interest in Green Gables thing,and want to see the island(without renting a car).

Then spend remaining time in Charlottetown exploring.

Tried to find other tours there,but only found Grayline for similar price as ships.

I requested a brochure from the tourism website for more info.:)

If you rent your own car you can see both the north and south shores. They are very different and it would be a shame to miss either. Here is a map which includes all the places on these tours and more:

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Charlottetown,+PE&daddr=46.4040691,-63.0811123+to:New+Glasgow,+PE+to:Brackley+Beach,+PE+to:Stanhope,+PE+to:46.4178583,-63.1190269+to:North+Rustico,+PE+to:46.4850932,-63.3131011+to:Cavendish,+PE,+Canada+to:Stanley+Bridge,+PE+to:46.2559992,-63.6805271+to:Victoria,+PE+to:Borden-Carleton,+PE+to:Charlottetown,+PE&hl=en&ll=46.345032,-63.362274&spn=0.480633,1.352692&sll=46.357354,-63.362274&sspn=0.480525,1.352692&geocode=FSCKwQIdQrI8_CnFg3_U3VJeSzEnm1GfuHdXWg%3BFeURxAIdaHU9_Clzg21_mLVfSzE7gscbV_KVUQ%3BFeQsxAIdkV45_CnhtduhtrtfSzHk4y3E4JpwUg%3BFaUXxAId2rc7_Cn3GHsCA7dfSzG6-M7WkpRh8Q%3BFXUcxAIdEA49_Ckn7hiI27VfSzG-F6tt40U9pg%3BFcJHxAIdTuE8_ClN_xMdC7ZfSzGSluheEKm7hQ%3BFaTlxAId2Oo5_ClDm07mw7hfSzHc9MVNE28Fyw%3BFWVOxQIdM-s5_CmTzG3mq7hfSzFXSwCc5Rizmg%3BFX1mxQIdDus4_Cn9MZARn79fSzHbNUdcyY43pg%3BFQb0xAId5MU3_Ck95XiFJb5fSzGxl3pPQ6WL8Q%3BFX_PwQId8U80_ClLZSUQ-p9fSzHZDkASe8islA%3BFYAvwQId3zY3_Cktc3XL6gdfSzGUH1L3_jJisQ%3BFcPGwQIdfiI0_CktWVQFygpfSzHb4kp64pFkkg%3BFSCKwQIdQrI8_CnFg3_U3VJeSzEnm1GfuHdXWg&oq=+borden&mra=ls&via=1,5,7,10&t=m&z=10

I would give a slight edge to the first choice in terms of scenery.

There are several companies which rent cars and at least one of them will pick you up at the port. Here is some information gleaned from previous posts and some links to others. Driving is very easy in PEI.

Budget will pick you up at the pier and return you there as well. Turns out that Budget has a shuttle that runs back and forth from their lot to the cruise port. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1708608

Check out Discount Car Rental at Brackley and the Bypass (near the airport). I have rented from them 2x in the last few years and they have always had the best rate and they pickup/drop off at the Pier.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1230792

Private tours: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1704213

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1415282

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1693605

• 2 weeks later...

Maryann more or less has it right: rent a car. One of those excursions is North Shore and the other is South Shore. There's stuff to see on both. The North is more famous but also more tourist trappy. Either is likely OK but you could see more on a self-drive.

If it was me self-driving, I wouln't go in either direction: I'd head for Kings county instead. Rugged coasts, unspoiled.

Rent a car for sure! It is going to give you by far the best value for your dollar and allow you to stop when you want to stop. We are also very info photography and chose to rent a car on both visits, I am sure glad we did!

I spend every summer on PEI and obviously love it. I would pick the first option. The second option includes the bridge but you will see more with the first option. If you really want to be able to stop, see the scenery and take lots of photos I would rent a car. The Island is truely beautiful and worth the effort to see as much as possible. Make sure you see some beaches...they are gorgeous.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with everyone - do the first. The bridge is neat but not a MUST SEE unless you are into bridges and I'd rather see Green Gables than the Gateway Village. Victoria-by-the-Sea is OK but really not a lot to write home about.

However, I do agree with the rental car. I've been to PEI a few times (not on a cruise) and driving there is mostly a piece of cake. Take a GPS along or rent one and you should be fine. Just be cautious at some of the lighthouses, the roads aren't paved and can lead to rutted messes when it's been raining.

• 2 weeks later...

Most Folks are picking the first one for you. The second option would also be very nice and less "touristy". The south shore drive is really beautiful with the rocky cliffs compared to white beaches of the north shore. The Confederation Bridge is a modern day engineering marvel almost 13kms of steel and concrete. Which ever excursion you choose please leave time before you return to ship to explore around historic Charlottetown. Victoria Park is one of our favourite places to sit and watch the cruise ships leave. Our friend drives the Harbour Hippo which also another option. Did I mention I am from PEI?:)

Have fun on our gentle island.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

I'm not sure if you are traveling with another couple or not, but we booked Duncan's Island Tours for a private 4-hour tour that was $120 per couple ($60 pp x 4). They have wonderful reviews on tripadvisor and we loved the idea of having a private local guide to tell us all about the area and the flexibility to take our time at the places we found more interesting. We didn't want to think about maps or directions so I'm hoping this will be a great choice. We did a private tour in Rome with "Rome-in-Limo" and all of us felt it was the best experience we could have had there. Happy travels. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We're renting a car (coming in on cruise) and will have 8-5 timeframe...is it doable to drive around the north and south sides? We'd stop to see Green Gables and would like to see the bridge...is this too ambitious?

We're renting a car (coming in on cruise) and will have 8-5 timeframe...is it doable to drive around the north and south sides? We'd stop to see Green Gables and would like to see the bridge...is this too ambitious?

We did the full central coastal drive in our day in port...same hours as you with no problem. Driving distances are short, signage is fantastic and there was next to no traffic anywhere. Drove up along the north coast by Cavendish for a short stop at Green Gables, then continued around the loop and stopped at Confederation Bridge, carried on along the south coast and finished back in Charlottetown with time to spare to stop at Province House, Founders Hall and have lunch at Lobster on the Wharf right at the pier. We rented our car through Budget and they had a driver to pick us up at the port however rather than taking a driver back, we walked the 4 blocks from the car rental to the waterfront as it is right along the scenic historic area. Loved PEI as it was so pretty, scenic and incredibly clean!

It sounds like you had a great day. Thanks for posting this information.

It was great and the info you have posted on these forums and on TA contributed to the successful execution of our plans. Thanks Mary Ann!

Archived