Prioritizing Travel

newzandile

I'm probably preaching to the choir on this board but does anyone else deal with this?

Criticism from folks whose homes are bursting with expensive antiques and art, a lot of it purchased on impulse, who believe it is irresponsible to spend thousands on a vacation with your family?

Our adventures and the life enrichment that comes with travel mean more to us than fancy furniture and limited edition art. To each their own, but I get overwhelmed with the clutter and prefer the clean fresh space of the great unknown!

It baffles me sometimes when I hear folks say they can't afford to travel, when they so clearly can based on their other lifestyle purchases. Teaching my children the magic of exploring is one of the most important gifts I can give them!

I don't judge. I'm very much a homebody and never go out to dinner. Many of my friends would die of boredom living the nighttime life I lead.

However- I was recently at the funeral of a friend's son- he died at age 27. Unbearably sad. One of his friends who got up and spoke talked about their first cruise, and the fun they had (she was a family friend and they were young teens during this cruise). She talked on and on abut their cruises... And mischief... And aside from wanting to rip my heart out I was even more sure that my choice to cruise with my kids is a good one- regardless of how broke it makes me!

My girlfriend and I love to travel together, and now that we have a baby as well, I think traveling together is still a priority. Frequently for Christmas or birthdays or Valentine's day we plans trips for each other instead of spending the money on other gifts, and I wouldnt have it any other way. To me the time we spend together traveling is far more valuable than a new "toy".

If I have given my children anything, I consider the gift of seeing the world beyond our home one of our best investments. They have truly seen the best and the worst that life can dole out in our travels.

One of my favorite sayings is that we live small to travel big. I also read someone say that their kids won't remember what kind of countertops or upgraded kitchen that they had when they were little, but they will remember all of the trips that we went on as a family. Travel is our hobby and passion and the only real splurge that we make. I'm not that interested in anyone else's opinion on how our family spends our money.:D

I try not to judge people, like I hope they don't judge me.

My wonderful mother influenced my beliefs and priorities. I realize they are not the same as others. When she died, she didn't have tons of stuff to sell or get rid of. She lived a simple life but believed God and family were the most important "things" in the world. We all have fabulous memories of trips and vacations with her!

Today, my home is my shelter, a place for my family to gather. It is not the end all be all.

Given a choice between new carpet, furniture, or painting a room in my house, and a vacation with my family (we take all 4 of our boys, two wives, & a fiance') and best friends who travel and bring their adult kids....I'll take a trip with all the memories any day.

Call me crazy.............I don't care!!:D

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

Mark Twain

We have this issue with my husbands side of the family. They believe a vacation is something you do ONCE in your life. They see it as a huge waste of money yet have no problem dropping even more money on cars, ATV's and other stuff I find nonsense. It's hard because we feel like we have to lie or keep our vacations a secret to avoid their criticism. In our eyes a vacation is worth more than those material things. It's something we can always look back on and remember the wonderful time we had with our kids or by ourselves. It's important to us.

People are very judgmental... One of my pet peeves. I have a friend who "hasn't been on a vacation in 10 years." He has had two planned children, 3 motorcycles, 2 BMWs and is working on upgrading to his third house in that same 10 year span. I think all those things are wonderful and don't begrudge him for doing that. Good for him! But it really bothers me when he acts like taking my family on a vacation is some huge frivolous thing. :-(

We know alot of ppl like that. We love cruising and will make time for it as long as we have the money of course. When they hear we are going on another cruise we hear omg another and where do you find the money etc. many times we squash into an inside cabin and DIY our excursions so its super cheap compared to a week at Disney but its the same ppl who just don't see the value.

We get comments all the time from people on how we travel so much (cruising and Disney are my weaknesses). Everyone has different priorities in life. They all have car payments way higher than ours and spend money elsewhere. Which is always my response, it's a priority for us so we cut elsewhere. Neither of us have expensive hobbies and we're pretty low maintenance otherwise.

vacations have and still are teachng our son how to be grateful for everything he has, when we travel we see how other people live, what they have and don't have and what we have.. It sure has opened his eyes. It also taught him to explore the world of other foods, cultures and family values and respect for those around him.

It has taught him to think on his feet, and sadly it has taught him politics of other countries.. sorry i hate politics.. and the best life skill how to save so he can travel and still pay the bills at home when he is away.

he also has learned to research before hand, the laws of the country, customs (don't want to offend anyone with a finger wiggle)

At 23 he still wants to travel with us and he has own life now, I will gladly have our son come with us anytime we go anywhere. :D.

He has made one very proud mom :)

I always hear from people.."oh Donna has plenty of money what with all the vacations she takes all year"...no, I just don't but material things like most of the people I know. I'd rather spend my money traveling, and that's exactly what I say to them. Very rarely do I spend money on myself other than necessities. I'd rather be traveling!

We have this issue with my husbands side of the family. They believe a vacation is something you do ONCE in your life. They see it as a huge waste of money yet have no problem dropping even more money on cars, ATV's and other stuff I find nonsense. It's hard because we feel like we have to lie or keep our vacations a secret to avoid their criticism. In our eyes a vacation is worth more than those material things. It's something we can always look back on and remember the wonderful time we had with our kids or by ourselves. It's important to us.

As long as you earn your own money and others dont have to support you nobodies business but yours how you spend it.

We hear the comment "If you are going to be in the country" as a slam to our traveling so much. We are retired, I own a business and my husband has a great pension. When he worked the guys that worked for him had big huge houses and fancy cars. they used to say hey boss why don't you build your dream home, meaning our home was small compared to their 4500 sq foot home. We choose to live in a smaller home, drive less expensive vehicles so we could travel, take our grown kids on great vacations (they pay a portion) give money to our church and i could volunteer.

I try not to judge others and hope that they will afford me the same luxury, although that is not the way the world always works. I am making the memories I wish to enjoy!

Archived