Not sure about flying!

Dhodgson-6

This will be only the second time I have flown. Will be on the northbound ship Princess Sun out of Vancouver in 1 1/2 weeks. Then will fly from Fairbanks to Denver coming home. Our air is through Alaska Air. Any tips to get over the jitters. Anything will be great!! Thanks in advance:eek:

There is an easy answer to your concerns. In 2004, there were NO fatalities on commercial aviation flights. Given the number of people and miles flown, this is quite remarkable. Conversely, over 40,000 people were killed in automobile related accidents in 2004. Based on any rational consideration, one should be more concerned about the drive to the airport rather than the flight to be taken. To allay any fears, just keep in mind that your upcoming flight was made safely the day before, the day before, the day before, etc.

What do you do when flying to pass the time/ keep mind off of "what ifs"? :confused:
Well, it does depend on which "what if" question you're asking.

When I'm flying, my most frequent "what if" question is "what if I have another gin and tonic - will it make me need to go to the loo?"

There's really nothing else much to think about. Do whatever you'd do on a bus trip of that length (I usually sleep, as it's such good down time). After all, that's basically what the flight is, only it's infinitely safer than the bus.

Far be it from me to suggest such a thing, but Globalizer has the right idea. Often a drink or two will help you relax quite a bit either before or during your flight. Make sure not to drink too much as dehydration can happen ... and if you're plastered before you board, you may not be allowed on the plane.

What do I do during long flights to pass the time? As Globalizer said, treat it like any other long trip - read, sleep, watch movie, do work, daydream, whatever passes the time.

Enjoy the flights!

-bb123

I have flown many times but I hate it. I take a traquilizer right before I get on the plane and then I am perfectly fine for the rest of the flight. I fall asleep pretty fast!!!! Since I don't drink this is the only way that I would be able to fly!

Yes, I'll admit that I did get a presc. from my dr. for Xanax. DH thinks I'm totally nuts but at least (hopefully) I won't have to squeeze his arm so bad during the flight. (aren't I a wimp?) :(

No. You're only a wimp if you allow your fear to keep you from flying when there are things you could do to deal with it. Do whatever you need to do to be able to fly.

If you've been given a script be careful about mixing with alcohol. Check with your doc just to be safe.

Depending on the flight, when we fly transcontinental there is always a movie or something, a selection of music to listen to through the headsets. I love to read so sometimes that's what I do. If you like to play cards, do crosswords, knit!! Oh wait, I don't think they allow knitting needles on board any more :( Whatever - just to sit and pass the time.

When my kids would fly alone I'd send them with a back pack of their fav snacks, a few juice boxes or small bottled water and hand held games to play with.

You can bring your own walkman and play your fav music, or play relaxation cd's. You can't have this on during take off and landing but it will be fine for the rest of the flight.

My son use to be so nervous about flying. It gets easier each time you step on a plane and now he's an old pro. My other son is a sound engineer and he steps on a plane almost weekly. He can sleep standing up now and brings his own pillow! LOL!

It does get better. Relax and go with the flow.

Thanks you all so much!! I will use all of these ideas and I'm sure things will be fine. I appreciate the insights and common sense:p

OH and bring chewing gum. Chew on take off and landing and that will help the popping in your ears. Or you can get the special little ear plug inserts at the drug store, over the counter, that help your ears to adjust to the changing cabin pressure.

Why don't you drop us a note when you get back, let us know how you did?

:)

I second the gum suggestion. I recently flew on 6 planes (3 each way) to and from Germany and noticed my ears popped a lot more when I didn't chew gum. Also, if take-off and landing freak you out and you're near a window, just close the shade or ask the other person to close the shade for you and pretend you're not there. For me, the actual flying part isn't nearly as bad as take-off and landing, which don't take very long at all and are usually pretty smooth. Just relax, order a drink if you can, and talk to somebody during the flight if you're getting nervous. It might help!

Thanks so much. What a great way to look at this! What do you do when flying to pass the time/ keep mind off of "what ifs"? :confused:

Well, there is really not much to do but sleep on an airplane. Although, sometimes I would play a game or read a magazine or something. I sit by the window ;) I'm going to be flying on July 10th, 2005 and I'm used to it pretty much. I don't like taking off still after being on many airplanes. I like landing though :) I find it hard to sleep but i'm too excited to sleep. Our flight is only about 2 hours long because it's from Michigan to Florida (Miami....so the very bottom of Florida)

When I'm flying, my most frequent "what if" question is "what if I have another gin and tonic - will it make me need to go to the loo?"

LOL...oooo the truth in that statement! I am one of those folks who just can't stay awake on a plane; some can't sleep. If you are like me, just sleep...you won't even notice your fears. If not, well, I have been informed that it is not a good idea to drink alcohol on a plane--dehydration and all--but then alot of things one might enjoy are not really good for you either. My only advice, remind yourself: breathe, breathe, breathe!

Have a great trip!

• 2 weeks later...

Ohmygosh. I really did it and actually kind of enjoyed it. We flew 4 hrs. to Seattle on a bigger plane then transfered to a 32 seater. I was very nervous but had taken a Xanax and only really noticed the noise of the smaller plane. We weren't bumpy or anything. My hubby was so proud of me. Coming home yesterday we left Fairbanks, landed in Anchorage and stayed onboard then landed in Seattle. Layover a couple hours and then onto Denver. That one was a little bumpy and I was pretty jumpy but what was great was there were 4 pilots flying in front of us and they were laughing and looking out trying to guess where we were while we were bouncing along. I figured that if they weren't worried why should I be. I am ready to go again!!:)

• 3 weeks later...

I can relate to you. I didn't fly for about 15 years b/c I was scared to death. I tried drinking but that really didn't help. My kids had never flown and had never been to Disney. I went to the doctor and got an RX and made it. I fell asleep and woke up instantly when the plane landed. It's

fine as long as you are with someone. I will fly again even though it's not my favorite activity. What's worse, I have a credit with JetBlue. I hope I can find someone to use it. They were very nice to me.

Archived