Airfares from Northeast to SJU this past Feb school break

ddy123

We are thinking about taking a cruise out of San Juan next school break in Feb 2014. Tried a few years ago and airfare was so outrageous we ended up canceling and switching to a cruise out of Florida. Really hoping won't have to do that again. Anyone have experience with what airfares were like this past Feb school break? Best airport for us is Boston but we are flexible to go to other northeast airports. Thanks!

ddy123,

Last year, early March we got tickets for around $450 Grand Rapids MI to SJ, one stop. We bought them 6-9 months ahead of time. I have found the earlier you purchase your tickets, the best prices and flight times are available. This year we were seeing $650+ for our tickets going in a few weeks, and with three of us going, we just didnt want to pay that much. We ended up going a day earlier (Wed instead of Thurs) and found tickets for $435, but two stops. Our fares may not compare exactly to yours in the East, but it gives you an idea of what people are paying. And it always pays to search +\- 3 days if your schedules are flexible at all. We absolutely love PR, so the extra day was a huge bonus for us! There is nothing like cruising out of SJ! The minute you land, you are immediately warm instead of waiting a day to warm up going south out of FL. The warmth and sunshine is the #1 reason we cruise in winter, so SJ is the perfect solution! And the islands are much less busy...you are often the only ship docking that day. Hope that helps, Lauri

We went in March 2011 & paid through the nose. Our airfare was actually more than the PP rate for the cabin. :eek:

I did notice that if you could manage to fly on Tuesday & Wednesday the fares were very reasonable. Alas we didn't have that much vacation.

That's my problem as well. Can only fly with the kids' February school break in mind. I am worried we will need to switch cruises again if the airfare is like it was a few years ago....almost $3000 for 4! Southwest did not fly to SJU then but they do now so hoping that will help.

• 4 weeks later...

Check out JetBlue. I fly them whenever I do fly. Don' just go by the price that other airlines show. Did that once with Spirit. Their price was better at first glance but when you got done picking your and counting your bags it ended up costing more. Just my two cents.

We just booked our airfare a few weeks ago for our cruise out of SJU Feb 2014 coming from Minneapolis. We were lucky to find a flight with one stop on AA for 440. But now we have noticed the prices have gone way up to 800 or more since we booked. It seems the problem is trying to get the later return flights from SJU that Sunday coming back and they are jacking up the prices on those flights. Delta wasn't much cheaper either. Sometimes you can find a cheaper flight but might have to make 2 connections.

Archived