Australian East Coast Cruises

They might take it, and there was a kettle in our room on Rhapsody anyway.

And don't understand why my powerboard was taken. It was a HPM brand, good stuff as my Dad was a sparky and that was the brand he got.

So there was no reason for them to confiscate it ... there doesn't seem to be much method in their madness does there?

So there was no reason for them to confiscate it ... there doesn't seem to be much method in their madness does there?

I guess the occasional power board may slip through the security scanner but if you we're to see the number of them waiting to be collected by owners after the cruise they don't miss many. They are obviously a safety issue and are banned for good reason so the occasional "smartie"that sneaks one on board is possibly only endangering the ship and its passengers. So go your hardest. I am sure if someone has a particular legitimate reason to have extra power points then the ship would do its best to accommodate.

I thought it might get taken, as they can be fire hazards. Is why Christmas trees can burn down.

Particularly if they were used in the VERY unsafe way on the Carnival Triumph.

Not surprisingly, cruise lines/ships a governed by a massive amount of rules and regulations (safety and other)and must abide by them all and if there was not a safety issue with power boards then they would not care if you brought a dozen of them on board .

Oh thank you for the 'little line' information. It was something that I had wondered about. Do I dare take my travel one off my list and expect one on Rhapsody? Maybe it's only tiny and won't take up much room so I'll take it just in case :o

..... note to self - take coffee :D

Forgot to say we just took a double adapter, friends with us got their power board taken off them, & got it back at the end of the trip.

I guess the occasional power board may slip through the security scanner but if you we're to see the number of them waiting to be collected by owners after the cruise they don't miss many. They are obviously a safety issue and are banned for good reason so the occasional "smartie"that sneaks one on board is possibly only endangering the ship and its passengers. So go your hardest. I am sure if someone has a particular legitimate reason to have extra power points then the ship would do its best to accommodate.

My 'legitimate reason' is my husband's very high tech hearing aids and related accessories and I actually think that the problem for the shipping company is that so many of the people taking on power strips are not so "smarties" and are perhaps overloading and misusing them, thereby requiring a blanket ban on everybody including the responsible users :(

Forgot to say we just took a double adapter, friends with us got their power board taken off them, & got it back at the end of the trip.

Thanks. My husband has a cross between power strip and adaptor to suit his hearing aids and I'm not sure how it would be classified.

Well, I have checked with the other two couples we cruised with, and they both had them and used 4 point power boards.

Mine was packed in my suitcase, was not hidden in there, it was just there, along with our charges. I am also sure that if they were a banned item, then the cabin steward would have said something to us, which he didn't. Anyway, I will know for sure in less than a month.

I will also add that it was not taken on our cruise on the Sun Princess.

Way annoys me is I got mine confiscated and it seems as if I'm the only one.

If you are going to have idles, enforce them.

Just wondering, did you pack it in your suitcase or in your carry on bag?

Well, I have checked with the other two couples we cruised with, and they both had them and used 4 point power boards.

Mine was packed in my suitcase, was not hidden in there, it was just there, along with our charges. I am also sure that if they were a banned item, then the cabin steward would have said something to us, which he didn't. Anyway, I will know for sure in less than a month.

I will also add that it was not taken on our cruise on the Sun Princess.

Hmmmmm curiouser and curiouser. I wonder if perhaps it comes down to the person who processes your luggage?? :confused:

I can understand the issue with power boards. They are responsible for a lot of fires but I think it's when a heater is plugged in. We had a fire in sons bedroom when the power board had a spike and caused around $10l k damage. I guess if people plugged a hair dryer into them that would have the same effect.

The issue with powerboards is the increased electrical load they can potentially place on the ship . Say just 1/4 of pax bought on a powerboard and ran hair dryers, and all sorts of extra gizmos then the increased electrical load is significant and causes circuit breakers to drop etc . So that is why the limit, and also the reason cruise lines do not like you bringing on your own irons, coffee makers and hair dryers . Those three are all elements and big consumers of power .

The issue with powerboards is the increased electrical load they can potentially place on the ship . Say just 1/4 of pax bought on a powerboard and ran hair dryers, and all sorts of extra gizmos then the increased electrical load is significant and causes circuit breakers to drop etc . So that is why the limit, and also the reason cruise lines do not like you bringing on your own irons, coffee makers and hair dryers . Those three are all elements and big consumers of power .

Personally I believe that coffee makers, clothes irons and hot plates are not allowed because they pose a fire hazard if left on. There is no mention of hair dryers in the same section of the FAQ although people have said they have not been allowed to take them aboard.

Personally I believe that coffee makers, clothes irons and hot plates are not allowed because they pose a fire hazard if left on. There is no mention of hair dryers in the same section of the FAQ although people have said they have not been allowed to take them aboard.

Okay, so there's another note to self. I had planned on taking my own hair dryer because I will need it when we visit friends after the cruise. Didn't see that I couldn't take it aboard though :mad:

Okay, so there's another note to self. I had planned on taking my own hair dryer because I will need it when we visit friends after the cruise. Didn't see that I couldn't take it aboard though :mad:

So just take your hairdryer, Security will take it for the duration of the cruise and you can reclaim it when you debark. Done and dusted.

Archived