Back to Back not so special!!!!

I've never done a b2b on RCCL, just with Orient Lines (and I did a bunch with them), and all I can say about RCCL - what a complete PAIN - even when they do it "right".

With OL we NEVER had to disembark and then get back on, and we didn't even have to get a different sea pass, unless we changed cabins. If we did change cabins, then we just went to the pursers desk to get the new card. We were allowed in our cabins whenever we wanted, we could stay on board, we could go ashore, we could come and go as we pleased, just like any other stop on the cruise.

I have friends that have done b2bs on HAL and Princess and they didn't have any of the BS Royal puts everyone through either. Does Royal do this on all b2b's or just the ones that turn around in the US (all our b2bs were outside the US)?

Lydia

ps. I can understand the BS if this is only happening on turnarounds in the US, they're probably required to, but everywhere else - it's crap.

I have done B2B's on three different cruise lines all at mainland US ports. All required the so called same BS on turnaround day.

I have done B2B's on three different cruise lines all at mainland US ports. All required the so called same BS on turnaround day.

Kind of figured it might be just in the US - hence the PS... :D. I know it isn't required by most other countries. All the ones I've done have been in various other countries, none in the US.

• 2 weeks later...

Doing b2b on Freedom in a couple of months with the changeover day in Port Canaveral. Glad to here this is one of the better organised ships for the change over. We were hoping to go on an independant trip to the Kennedy space center and would need to be off the ship early to get there and back before sail away. Any pointers as to whether this is doable or do we need to hang around on the ship for the customs to process us.

Doing b2b on Freedom in a couple of months with the changeover day in Port Canaveral. Glad to here this is one of the better organised ships for the change over. We were hoping to go on an independant trip to the Kennedy space center and would need to be off the ship early to get there and back before sail away. Any pointers as to whether this is doable or do we need to hang around on the ship for the customs to process us.

In your case you will need to disembark the same way that all the other passengers do. You should be able to disembark early with the group that's carrying off their luggage. When they have the B2B meeting the last full day of the cruise be sure to go. You need to talk to the Freedom rep at that meeting to get guidance. I wold think it is doable. Just make sure you have all the documents you need to reboard before you get off. Remember in reality it is the beginning of a separate new cruise and you will have to go through US customs when returning to the ship .

...Remember in reality it is the beginning of a separate new cruise and you will have to go through US customs when returning to the ship .
I have left the US hundreds of times (by cruise ship, by airplane, by car, by foot, by ferry) and have yet to go through US Customs going out of the US. You may have to show RCI that you have the proper documents to get though US Immigration when you finally return to the US.

--Sorry Al, being picky :-)

Archived