Oasis Western 3/2-3/9 Review With Pictures

Day 7, at sea, continued:

I forgot to mention earlier that after the All Access Tour, which ended at noon, DH also took a behind the scenes tour of the Opal Theater. No pictures of that, since the camera battery was kaput.

He found me in the solarium around 1, and we headed back to Johnny Rockets for lunch. We went there mainly to use our 2 for 1 milkshake coupons from our C&A booklet, since we were running out of time. We filled up on burgers, fries, and onion rings...yum! We didn't even have room for dessert, which would have been included in the cover charge.

So after we stuffed ourselves silly, what to do? Why, boogie board of course:

oasis2013434_zps58431ece.jpg

This way WAY easier than trying stand-up surfing. I'd advise trying the boogie boarding first before surfing to at least get your bearings with the force of the water. It was pretty windy on the sports deck, and therefore kinda chilly as you waited in line for another turn if you were wet.

We headed back to the solarium for one last visit, before heading back to the room to clean up.

We spent some time in the Viking Crown lounge reading...it's a really nice, tranquil space.

There's this cool set of stairs on the way up there:

oasis2013446_zps28801ed4.jpg

At 5:30, we went back to the Sports Deck to check out the Best of the Best Flowrider competition. It was pretty impressive. This one guy did a headstand on the board. The other guys were pulling out all sorts of funny tricks...hitting a ping pong ball while surfing, drinking and surfing...greatly entertaining to watch.

We had dinner reservations here at 6:30:

oasis2013095_zpsb7de94de.jpg

Here's the menu:

oasis2013097_zpsb9aa11a9.jpg

oasis2013098_zpsd33282c8.jpg

oasis2013099_zpsf8a97bf0.jpg

The restaurant was very, very busy when we got there. We were seated at a table for two fairly near the center of the restaurant, very closely in between two other tables for two, close enough to chat with our neighbors on both sides.

DH had the Dungeness Crab and Shrimp Cake.

I had the Cheese and Onion Soup.

Our server asked if we would like to order more appetizers, since they were quite busy that night. I ordered the Not-So-Traditional Caesar salad too.

We both had the Petite filet. Sides were a baked potato for me, and we shared mushrooms and green beans.

We used a 2 for 1 coupon for our glasses of wine, which we had also done in the MDR one night.

I was actually not blown away by Chops. It was good, but I enjoyed my beef entree more in both Giovannis, and in the MDR. It just wasn't spectacular. Might have just been that it was the last night, and very busy, or maybe we were just weren't as excitable since we knew we were leaving in the morning!

We still had plenty to eat though, don't get me wrong...we actually asked for the desserts (One red velvet cake and one mud pie) to go, so we could eat them later in the room while we were packing. That was not a problem at all, and we enjoyed it later!

We stopped by the photo gallery to pick up two 5x7's that we had custom ordered earlier that day at one of their digital kiosks. Used our buy one, get one 50% off. If at all possible, order and pick up your pictures before the last evening!!! The place was a madhouse.

After that last bit of business, off we went to our cabin to pack. At this point, knowing the vacation was coming to an end, I was really missing the kiddos and wanting to just beam myself home! This was the longest we had ever left them...previously left them with their wonderful grandparents for a 5 night on the Explorer.

We packed, I filled out the guest satisfaction survey and dropped it at Guest Relations, and then chased down Ophelia, our cabin steward, to give her an extra tip and also our 2nd WOW card.

There was a farewell party on the promenade that night, as well as a family comedy show in the Opal theater (no reservations needed). We missed both....we crashed early as we set an alarm for 5:30 in the hopes of getting off ASAP to start our 16+ hour drive home.

That wraps up Day 7 and the last fun stuff. Up next: Departure and final wrap up.

Departure Day and final thoughts:

Our alarm went off at 5:30:eek: and as I looked out our balcony, we were inches from the dock.

We hit Park Cafe when it opened right at 6:00.

We walked off the ship, with no lines, at 6:20. We were not the first ones off, so I'm guessing some folks must have been off between 6 and 6:10.

Customs took all of 5 minutes.

This is probably a good place to note that my passport was expiring just under 4 months after we completed the trip. I know it is recommended that your passport not expire for 6 months after you complete your travel, and that travelling with or without a passport is a hot-button issue around here. When we booked at 46 days out, I just didn't feel comfortable sending it out for renewal in that time frame, and I didn't want to pay for expediting the renewal. My passport didn't get a second glance at check in, it was not a problem. I did have my birth certificate and my marriage license showing my name change as backup just in case.

To save time, we had parked right in the lot at the port. I have read great reviews about Park N Go, and I know it would have been cheaper but I wanted no part of having to take a shuttle to our car when we had such a long drive. It was $105 to park for the week. For what it's worth, I saw a Park N Go shuttle sitting there as we were leaving. We were in our car and on the road at exactly 6:30.

After a looooooooooooong drive, we got home just after midnight. Sent the grandparents home. Teared up a bit when I kissed the kids. They both woke up just enough to smile at me, and went back to sleep.

Random note I had written down to include: We had an outlet on top of the desk in the vanity area in our cabin...I thought I had read that on Oasis, you had to crawl under the vanity to get to the outlet, but this had been corrected on Allure. I'm not sure if they have fixed this in all cabins, or if it was because we were in a D1, but whatever the case, the outlet was right there.

Final thoughts:

What an awesome trip! Just what DH and I needed to spend some time as a couple, and recharge our batteries as parents.

The ship was simply a marvel, and in great condition.

Service was consistently excellent throughout the week.

I would rate the food as consistently good to very good.

Entertainment: Best that I've had on any cruse so far, hands down.

Passengers: Really enjoyed that this was an international crowd. If I'd had to guess, I'd say it was maybe 60% US, 40% non, but that's a rough estimate. I never saw roving packs of teens, or misbehaving children pushing all the buttons in the elevators:) Disclaimer: We did spent a large amount of time in the adults-only solarium.

I would cruise this class of ship again in a heartbeat, with our without the kiddos. I'm hoping to sail with my dad on Allure, hopefully eastern, in a year or two.

I can't think of anything else profound at the moment...I think I covered most of it along the way. Thanks to all for reading along and joining me in reliving an amazing vacation! I'd be glad to answer any other questions that come up! Until next time.....cheers, and Happy Sails!!

--Christy

oasis2013184_zpsdf6fe9aa.jpg

What brand/type of waterproof camera do you have? Is it reliable underwater and make good pictures?

The camera I used for the underwater pictures is the same camera that I used for the rest: Olympus Stylus Tough. It's a great little camera that's very user friendly. Waterproof to 10 feet.

I think it takes pretty good pictures in most settings. Have a little bit of trouble with action shots when I'm trying to catch the kiddos in motion.

As for underwater pictures, it was kind of hard to tell when the picture was actually snapping since I had a mask and snorkel on, and the water was fairly choppy. The underwater pics came out OK I think....probably a combination of it being a fairly simple camera and me being a fairly simple photographer. My camera is also about 3 years old, which is probably pretty outdated considering how fast technology changes these days.

Thank you so much. I know how time consuming it is doing a picture review and yours is much more detailed than mine!

We just booked Oasis after thinking it would be "too much" of everything since they came out. This review made me feel much more comfortable and reassured me that we made the right choice.

Thanks again :)

Funny you mention the outlet on the desk because I had read the same thing prior to the cruise. We had one on the desk too, and we were in an inside cabin.

Great review, we were on the same cruise and maintenance installed the outlet on top of the desk mid-week during the cruise. So the outlets are a new addition to the Oasis. I expect they will have the whole ship done soon?

Edited by loudbmw

Christy - thank you so much for taking the time to post your review with pictures. It was awesome. We will be leaving on the Oasis - April 6th for the Eastern Caribbean. I too get so excited and can't sleep. And have been known to wake everyone before dawn and head out. Also, I can be a sleepyhead at home since retiring, but on a vacation forget it. No matter how late I stay up; I have to get up early. I have been on several cruises and did a B2B on the Freedom - solo in 2009. I had a wonderful time. But I'm looking forward to the Oasis more so than any other ship. I know we will have a fantastic time. Then in May we are heading cross country on a trip. We will be taking our time and enjoying each day. We will be coming back when we see everything we want to. I have been out west several times but will be a first for my BF. So I will be seeing things through his eyes. Also, before our cruise we are going to DisneyWorld - another first for him.

Again thank you.

This was the perfect review for me right now! Thank you so much! We are doing almost the same cruise as you in so many ways! We have a D1 on Oasis Western, we have a Nellies OTW Cabana, we plan to do Chankanaab in Cozumel on our own.....etc.... So, you reviewed everything I wanted to hear about!

Have fun planning your next adventure with your Dad :)

Great review Christy! These CC reviews are all about "giving back" as a way to say thanks to others who helped you plan your cruise--you did that and more. Now, you just need to teach me how to post pictures on my reviews!

Dad

That's so funny, I just started reading your review the other day when it popped up on the front page! I would love to do an Alaska cruise someday. My husband's cousin got married in Anchorage a few years back and I would love to see more of Alaska! And yes, I do a lot of research...probably too much:D It's addicting. My husband would walk by and see me on my ipad and say, "Let me guess? On cruise critic AGAIN?". Enjoy your next trip with Aunt Linda!

So funny we don't sail until July and I am on here every day. At least twice a day either my DH or my DS will say " looking at cruise stuff again??" They make fun of me....but they'll be happy cause I have learned so much...

This was the perfect review for me right now! Thank you so much! We are doing almost the same cruise as you in so many ways! We have a D1 on Oasis Western, we have a Nellies OTW Cabana, we plan to do Chankanaab in Cozumel on our own.....etc.... So, you reviewed everything I wanted to hear about!

Have fun planning your next adventure with your Dad :)

Wow, that is remarkably similar! Glad it worked out for you:). Enjoy your trip!

Great review Christy! These CC reviews are all about "giving back" as a way to say thanks to others who helped you plan your cruise--you did that and more. Now, you just need to teach me how to post pictures on my reviews!

Dad

Hey! An appearance from my lurking Pop:)

You know, in order for me to show you how to post pictures, you actually have to TAKE some pictures:D

Thanks Dad:)

So funny we don't sail until July and I am on here every day. At least twice a day either my DH or my DS will say " looking at cruise stuff again??" They make fun of me....but they'll be happy cause I have learned so much...

Yeah, as much as DH pokes fun of me too, he seems to enjoy the results of my research:)

The morning of the cruise, when I was up watching the webcam at 5 AM, he was emailing our families, telling them what "psycho cruise girl", as he put it, was up to.

We are traveling with our 2 sons-11 and 13..what shows would you recommend we see with them? with out them?

Oasis of dreams, Frozen in time, and Splish Splash (comedy dive show) would definitely be ones that I think they would enjoy.

Have they been to theater productions before? If so, Hairspray might be good too. Even if they haven't, there were a number of kids in that age range there. It was 90 minutes straight through, so keep that in mind.

I think Come Fly with me might be the least likely to appeal to them, so that might be a good one to enjoy on your own.

The main comedy show was definitely adult only...pretty sure you had to be at least 18 to get in. There was a family comedy show the last night.

DH just chimed in and said "all the shows except for the comedy show" would be good for kids in that age range.

Thanks for your review. We will be on the eastern route soon but thoroughly enjoyed your pictures and review. I so agree this site is addicting but believe by reading suggestions and reviews only helps to make your own cruise that much more enjoyable :)