Any CHEAP excursions in Nassau, Freeport or Pt Canaveral?

DaveNetMan

Can anyone recommend any CHEAP excursions in any of the Pride ports... Port Canaveral, Nassau or Freeport? By 'cheap' I mean like $30 per person or less. We have 4 in our group (2 teens), and are watching our wallets. Wife & I went to Port Canaveral and Freeport once before, and found there was really nothing to do within walking distance of the ship, which we usually do to save money. Nassau has ALOT to do, but alot of it is also expensive. We are ok with (actually prefer) NON-Carnival excursions. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Dave

We like to just shop at the marketplace right off the boat in Freeport. There is also a Senor Frogs there now, which is a good place to take pictures.

We have also done the Kayaking at cocoa beach/port canaveral. We went with adventure kayak and booked it online. I think it was around $100 for the four of us total. It was a nice day, didn't see too many animals but the guides were informative about the area.

We were in Nassau on 1/1/13 and I rented a room at the Sheraton rather than buying the day passes. The rate was $99.00...I think the total charged to my credit card was about $125.00. That allowed us to spend the day there, enjoy all the ammenities, and take a shower before heading back to the boat.

We will be in Nassau again on 3/22/13 and I have contacted the ministry of tourisim about the "people to people" program. They have contacted me back wanting more information about my group, which I emailed, but I have not heard back from them. They are pretty slow arranging things. I am hoping that works out for us; if so, it is FREE :) If not, We plan to walk over to the Queen's staircase and the Fort, and maybe do the Pirate museum if it doesn't look to hokey. I think the admission is around $12.00 but the rest of the places on the "agenda" would be free.

Have Fun!

I know Carnival offers a $16 shuttle excursion to Ron Jon's. There is a lot in that area of Cocoa Beach. Ron Jon's, the beach and lots of other souvenir shops. There is also a shuttle to Cocoa Village, may be the same one. They have lots of local artistry and restaurants in that area.

If you want to leave the small shopping area at the port in Freeport, you will have taxi fare. I like Tony Macaroni's Conch Experience in Freeport....it's $14 round trip taxi per person, but once you get there you only spend $$$ on whatever food and drink you want. He's located on Taino Beach, has beach chairs, a Bahamian Jazz Band, and incredibly good roasted seafood including a conch burger. We are going there again next week.

In Nassau, you may enjoy the Ardastra Gardens which is $16 per person, which is within walking distance, then stop at the Fish Fry on the way back to the ship for a great lunch.

In Nassau, if we don't do the "people to people" (found on Bahamas website) we plan on jumping on the jitney #10 (local bus-stops are at the end of Bay street roughly behind senior frogs) for about a $1.50pp and just riding around checking out the island. We will get off the bus if we find something we want to get out and explore and then get back on.

We've been to Nassau multiple times but have never ventured inland...we'll see how that goes. :D

In Nassau, if we don't do the "people to people" (found on Bahamas website) we plan on jumping on the jitney #10 (local bus-stops are at the end of Bay street roughly behind senior frogs) for about a $1.50pp and just riding around checking out the island. We will get off the bus if we find something we want to get out and explore and then get back on.

We've been to Nassau multiple times but have never ventured inland...we'll see how that goes. :D

I am starting to worry about the people to people program. I have gotten this email three times:

Good afternoon,

We thank you for choosing The Islands of The Bahamas as your destination of choice and for your interest in our People to People Program. Can you please confirm your availability to participate in our program. We need this information to further process your application.

Regards,

Bridgette Rahming

download?mid=2%5f0%5f0%5f1%5f114243%5fAMtXimIAACO8UT%2bZ9Q1DPSVTh4w&pid=2&fid=Inbox&inline=1&appid=YahooMailNeodownload?mid=2%5f0%5f0%5f1%5f114243%5fAMtXimIAACO8UT%2bZ9Q1DPSVTh4w&pid=3&fid=Inbox&inline=1&appid=YahooMailNeoBridgette Rahming People To People

The Bahamas Ministry of Tourism

Rawson Square, P.O. Box N-3701

Nassau, Bahamas

Phone: 242-3560435/7/8

Fax: 242-326-0166

www.bahamas.com

I have responded each time with the same info. Yesterday I sent an email letting them know I need to get this scheduled for sure OR I need to book an excursion. Hoping to hear something soon...we will be there next Friday 3/22/13.

Will report back if I hear something...

In Freeport, the Our Lucaya resort looks to be a good choice for you, based on all the reviews I've read. (We're going in November.) For $10pp (some reviews say it might be $20pp now) you have access to all the pools, lounges etc at the Our Lucaya resort. There is also a marketplace across the street where you can enjoy an inexpensive lunch. Taxis seem to be inexpensive but I don't recall seeing a $ confirmation on any of the reviews I've read. There is no need to book any of this through the cruiselines. Just hop off the ship, take a taxi over, buy your wristband at a white "hut" and enjoy.

For $35 pp, in Freeport you can do snorkeling at Paradise Cove (Deadman's Reef). The price includes transportation from and back to the pier, snorkel gear, and flotation devices. We had a great time there.

Oooo I forgot about that...we did that too one year and it is very nice. Quite a long drive though If I remember correctly...

Thanks guys for all your suggestions. We'll discuss it this weekend. I'm sure we'll come up with something.

By the way, does anyone know any free or cheap internet cafe's in Nassau or Freeport?

Just got back from Freeport - went to Paradise Cove for I think it was $16pp plus $3 beach fee. Search for Paradise Cove / Deadman's reef here and your favorite serch engine. Was only like 40 people there. Great relaxing day.

For $35 pp, in Freeport you can do snorkeling at Paradise Cove (Deadman's Reef). The price includes transportation from and back to the pier, snorkel gear, and flotation devices. We had a great time there.

Our group of 10 did this last Sept and had the best time and we will be going there again on our next cruise the snorkeling on the other side of the reef is the best we have ever done

Dave, why wouldn't you just take the little water taxi over to Atlantis and just walk around? My teens loved that. It's only a few bucks each, then don't spend any money when you get there. Also, you can take the #10 bus over to the Sheraton on cable beach, it's only $1.25 and air-conditioned. You can get a day pass to use their beach/pools for$25-$30 each. They have awesome pools with slides, etc. Good luck!

Dave, why wouldn't you just take the little water taxi over to Atlantis and just walk around? My teens loved that. It's only a few bucks each, then don't spend any money when you get there.

You can no longer enter the Atlantis lobbies or grounds without a day pass at some level (starting at $40 for the aquarium pass).

Also, you can take the #10 bus over to the Sheraton on cable beach, it's only $1.25 and air-conditioned. You can get a day pass to use their beach/pools for$25-$30 each. They have awesome pools with slides, etc. Good luck!

Sheraton is a good option for $30pp... but they do not have pools with slides. However, the pool next door at the wyndham has a pool slide.. but it's not been open lately

Sheraton is still a good option. Water toys and snorkeling are included .

I think it would be cheaper to take a taxi to Cocoa beach than to pay for individual transfers for four people in Port Canaveral. In Freeport there was an open air bus like taxi that was about $4pp each way to Lucaya. There was a straw market there and they will show you where the free beach is.

Our group of 10 did this last Sept and had the best time and we will be going there again on our next cruise the snorkeling on the other side of the reef is the best we have ever done

sounds like fun I have never REALLY snorked. Will I be ok?

Archived