Jet Blue

patrick401ca

I am Canadian and we never travel Jet Blue because it doesn't fly here. I have heard strange stories about it especially out of JFK.

I am thinking of taking them from Fort Lauderdale to San Juan for a cruise next year. Are they reliable? Is there any reason to stay away from them.

Jetblue (code= B6) is one of the better airlines in the US. The first checked bag is free, their planes and terminals are new-ish and clean, they have free seatback TV over the continental USA (bring your own earbuds), and there's no charge for sodas, juice, and munchies.

That said, B6 releases fares and schedules later than "legacy" airlines. Read other threads on the topic; like Southwest, B6 rarely has the lowest fares as a result. At least that's been my experience from SoCal to BOS, FLL, and SJU. Because of that I haven't flown them in over a year but they definitely have a following who are willing to pay more to fly B6.

B6 does not interline, except with a few international airlines. So, if your itinerary isn't solely on B6, you will have to get separate tickets. That creates inconvenience and risk to your trip.

Also I find connection times from the West Coast can be very long (3-6 hours on the "best" itineraries). Their flights don't seem to mesh well at their hubs...maybe it's better going up and down the map :)

True Blue, their miles program, doesn't have much benefit unless you fly B6 at least once a year. Otherwise, miles expire after 12 months without an actual flight. However, you should join TB to get fare sale alerts.

Last thing...during major weather events that disrupt all airlines, B6 tends to "melt down" a bit worse than others.

I assume the "strange stories" are the flight attendant who bailed out via the slides and the pilot who went psychotic in the cabin? I don't know anything about "behind the scenes" at B6 but it probably could have been any airline.

My list of pros and cons is not all-inclusive. B6 is a very good airline if you find flight times you need with a good fare.

I'm canadian too and fly jetblue frequently. Its a wonderful airline. Lots of room in your seats, seatback tv's...full size snackies, if thats important. And yes, the terminal at JFK is really really nice. I always fly out of buffalo just because its so much cheaper and the airport there is nice and small!

I assume the "strange stories" are the flight attendant who bailed out via the slides and the pilot who went psychotic in the cabin? I don't know anything about "behind the scenes" at B6 but it probably could have been any airline.

This was my initial thought as well.

I am Canadian and we never travel Jet Blue because it doesn't fly here. I have heard strange stories about it especially out of JFK.

Patrick... What area of the GTA do you live in? Reason I ask is that flying out of BUF can be much more rewarding than thru Pearson. Last time we went thru YYZ it was 31/2 hours to get thru check in, Immigration (US) and security. You could prob drive from TO, go thru a fast check in with US Customs (a breeze in a car), security... and be at your gate in the same amount of time (depending on time of year of course). Plus - it's normally cheaper to fly out of the US (less taxes etc).

I am thinking of taking them from Fort Lauderdale to San Juan for a cruise next year. Are they reliable? Is there any reason to stay away from them.

I have flown them several times and never had a problem outside of the fact that they only fly to two locations from where I live, so it is not always practical to fly them for me.

FYI, JetBlue posts schedules far in advance, you just can't buy tickets until they open them for booking.

For OP's cruise in March of next year it appears they are dropping BUF-FLL nonstops. It will be a connection through BOS or JFK.

Very. We are new JetBlue fans and have flown them 9 times since last summer. There would have been another time but we had to cancel because if a death in the family (in this case they banked the entire amount we spent for future use even though we had no trip insurance for this flight to visit family). In Fact, we are flying on them again this weekend. There was only one cancelation/delay in all of these flights due to a mechanical issue but we were able to get on the next flight out that was half an hour earlier than our delayed flight. We really like the service.

FYI, JetBlue posts schedules far in advance, you just can't buy tickets until they open them for booking.

For OP's cruise in March of next year it appears they are dropping BUF-FLL nonstops. It will be a connection through BOS or JFK.

Where do you find their schedules that are not open for booking yet?

Thanks!

Where do you find their schedules that are not open for booking yet?

Thanks!

The "Timetables" area of JetBlue.com lists schedules into Fall of 2014, or 18 months from now. It may be even farther into the future, but that's as far as I went to research a cruise next year. Right now, bookings on the same route are only open through October 2013. Of course I wouldn't be surprised if the schedules change in the interim.

The "Timetables" area of JetBlue.com lists schedules into Fall of 2014, or 18 months from now. It may be even farther into the future, but that's as far as I went to research a cruise next year. Right now, bookings on the same route are only open through October 2013. Of course I wouldn't be surprised if the schedules change in the interim.

Thanks kenish.... Never noticed that link before.

Thank you! I never knew that was there either. I will check it out.

Our family recently flew JB - Buffalo - Orlando. Their scheduled flight was an hour and a half late departing. They were given a $75 credit on a future flight. JB is our airline of choice for travel to/from Florida.

We took our first JetBlue flight in last month-from Costa Rica to Orlando.

It was one of the best flights that we have had. Very comfortable seats, lots of legroom (certainly more that you will find on AC or WJ), etc. On time, bags arrived safely. And the price was very competitive. We did not have to pay to check our bags either. The plane was a newer model. I get tired of sitting in some of those ancient MD80's or early 727's where the seats are so uncomfortable and the the cabin shakes and shimmies during takeoff and landing.

Jetblue offers one direct flight per day to Fll via BUF. If you drive into the US via QEW you may wish to use the Peace Bridge or Rainbow Bridge instead of Lewiston-Queenston- depends on time of day and weekday/weekend. Southwest also offers direct flights twice a day to FLL. Spirit offers direct service Niagara Falls- FLL but their schedule is odd. There is a great selection of affordable hotels around Buffalo airport as well. Good Luck!!:D:cool::cool:

Jetblue offers one direct flight per day to Fll via BUF. If you drive into the US via QEW you may wish to use the Peace Bridge or Rainbow Bridge instead of Lewiston-Queenston- depends on time of day and weekday/weekend. Southwest also offers direct flights twice a day to FLL. Spirit offers direct service Niagara Falls- FLL but their schedule is odd. There is a great selection of affordable hotels around Buffalo airport as well. Good Luck!!:D:cool::cool:

The current schedule out to October shows Jet Blue not having those direct flights anymore to Ft. Lauderdale. We use them all the time and hoping those flights come back on when they extend the schedule.

Archived