Hyatt Place FLL airport to port Question

laurac22

Hi We are on the 20TH of April sailing of the Oasis out of FLL. We are staying at the Hyatt Place FLL airport. We are coming in two days before the Cruise and Will have a rent car. Our son is in a Manual/power wheelchair that does fold and fit in the car. My Question is how close is the Hyatt place to the ship? Is it within walking distance? We are trying to decide if we want to turn the car in on the 19TH(day before the cruise)or keep it to take us to the port that morning. Is there a car rental place near the hotel or port? If we do keep the car what are our options for dropping off at port and then returning the rent car? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks

[quote name='laurac22']Hi We are on the 20TH of April sailing of the Oasis out of FLL. We are staying at the Hyatt Place FLL airport. We are coming in two days before the Cruise and Will have a rent car. Our son is in a Manual/power wheelchair that does fold and fit in the car. My Question is how close is the Hyatt place to the ship? Is it within walking distance? We are trying to decide if we want to turn the car in on the 19TH(day before the cruise)or keep it to take us to the port that morning. Is there a car rental place near the hotel or port? If we do keep the car what are our options for dropping off at port and then returning the rent car? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Maybe if you call the hotel they can help you. Enjoy your cruise.

Airport is right by the Pier:

[URL]https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Fort+Lauderdale,+FL&hl=en&ll=26.08238,-80.131445&spn=0.046254,0.046434&sll=26.097026,-80.129557&sspn=0.046248,0.046434&oq=Fort+Lauderdale,+FL&t=h&hnear=Fort+Lauderdale,+Broward,+Florida&z=14[/URL]

Thanks for the responses. I didn't want to worry about a shuttle from the hotel, as with other passengers with luggage in the van, there would not be room for my sons wheelchair. I guess I will contact the hotel and see what info they can give me.

Thanks again

Hi,

Last month, I stayed at the Hyatt Piace Ft. Lauderdale Airport and Cruise Port one night prior to a cruise on the Liberty of the Seas. The hotel is fine, but it is definitely not within walking distance of the pier. I road a shuttle from the hotel to the ship. The hotel is nice and the employees are very friendly. Be sure to have the complimentary breakfast.

Enjoy your cruise!

Chuck

[quote name='Plum Happy']I believe it is about 1/2 miles from the port. The hotel can provide shuttle service to the port you might want to contact them ahead of time to see if you can reserve the time you want to go or if you let them know at check-in.[/quote]
more like a mile as the crow flies, but much more driving. From Hyatt, it's a $12 taxi ride

I've stayed at that Hyatt as well - definitely not within walking distance. One option would be to keep the car until the morning of drop people @ the port then return the car to the airport and hop a taxi or the free shuttle (Alamo/National) back to Port E. Since car rentals are so reasonable at FLL we usually keep them until the morning of since you'd have to factor in the cost of a taxi from the airport to the hotel the night before as well.

Depending on my group we either drop most off at the ship and then return the car (if we have more than 2 people) and if it's only 2 we just both go to the airport and then back to the pier.

I have yet to find a reasonable price on a rental where I pick up at the airport and drop at the port. By doing the airport drop off you're looking at another 30 mins give or take.

Just make sure you tell them to wait at a specific spot for you to meet back up with them ;)

[quote name='Beth C']I've stayed at that Hyatt as well - definitely not within walking distance. One option would be to keep the car until the morning of drop people @ the port then return the car to the airport and hop a taxi or the free shuttle (Alamo/National) back to Port E. Since car rentals are so reasonable at FLL we usually keep them until the morning of since you'd have to factor in the cost of a taxi from the airport to the hotel the night before as well.

Depending on my group we either drop most off at the ship and then return the car (if we have more than 2 people) and if it's only 2 we just both go to the airport and then back to the pier.

I have yet to find a reasonable price on a rental where I pick up at the airport and drop at the port. By doing the airport drop off you're looking at another 30 mins give or take.

Just make sure you tell them to wait at a specific spot for you to meet back up with them ;)[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for your help! I did think of doing it this way. I was just concerned about my husband dropping my son and I of then going to drop off the car and getting back to us with all the craziness at the port. Is there a place inside to wait? We would rather not haul us all to the airport and then hope to find a cab or accessible shuttle back to port. Sometimes regular cabs are reluctant to take someone in a wheelchair, because it takes a little longer to get loaded,and accessible ones can be few and far between. Just want our first day as uncomplicated as possible.

[quote name='Beth C']I've stayed at that Hyatt as well - definitely not within walking distance. One option would be to keep the car until the morning of drop people @ the port then return the car to the airport and hop a taxi or the free shuttle (Alamo/National) back to Port E. ...........

Just make sure you tell them to wait at a specific spot for you to meet back up with them ;)[/quote]When we do that, the people who get dropped off just check the bags with the porters and then go ahead and board the ship.

There are employees at the the pier to help with wheelchairs, so there is no reason to sit around outside the terminal (or even inside the terminal) waiting for the driver to return when you can be spending that time on board, enjoying the ship in comfort.

That way the driver does not feel rushed returning the car and he or she can catch up with you later on the ship.

[quote name='Beth C']

[/quote]
why not Thrifty? They are as cheap as anyone unless you book last minute. Pick up at FLL and return to the port location which is a free 10 minute shuttle to the pier.
Use Corporate code 004M001010 for added discount

I agree with BethC about dropping off the group at the port then returning the car. I've done it at Port Everglades, but I have done at other ports when I've had my mom, who is a wheelchair user. If you do that and check in separately, print two copies of your boarding documents so you have one to check in and your husband has one. You can either arrange to meet somewhere on the ship or if you have cell phones, he can call you when he gets onboard.

I've used Thrifty for car rentals several times in Ft. Lauderdale. They seem to be approximately the same rate, and sometimes cheaper, than other companies, even when pick up/drop off is different places. I haven't picked up a car at the airport and dropped it off a the port location, but I have picked up from the port and dropped off at the airport. When we rented a car, they had a shuttle that picked us up from the port and brought us to the rental counter. I assume they will also drop you off at the port but it would be a good idea to verify that. The phone number for the Port Everglades office is (954) 463-2958.

It might be cheaper to rent a car from a Port Everglades location than from the airport because of the all the airport surcharges.

When our family sailed on Allure in December (there were 11 of us), we stayed at the Hyatt House across the lot from Hyatt Place and found it quite comfortable and the complimentary breakfast to be quite good. My son and I returned our rental car to the airport while the rest of the family waited for the shuttle. We actually returned the car and took the free shuttle bus to the cruise terminal and waited outside for the shuttle to arrive. It was quite a smooth operation and we were checked in and were among the first passengers to board the ship. There is a large mall with several restaurants quite close to Hyatt Place and Hyatt House which is actually located in Dania Beach and definitely not within walking distance of the cruise pier. Even if it were, I wouldn't advise trying to walk to the cruise terminals as the route is definitely not pedestrian-friendly.

I think the idea of dropping everyone off to the terminal and then having 1 person bring the car back would be a great idea. From there they could jump on one of the free shuttles that the car companies have at the airport, or pay the 10-15$ for a taxi so they are not waiting around.

There are plenty of places inside the terminal to sit, take a look at some of the reviews for both the allure and the oasis to get an idea of what the inside of the terminal looks like. If you have cell phones a quick text or phone call to let the driver know where you will be sitting and you should be good to go.

There are 2 Hyatt Places near the FLL airport and people are giving the OP advice on both. It doesn't really matter though, because neither one is walking distance to the terminal. The closest one (Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale 17th Street Convention Center) is in Fort Lauderdale about 2 miles from the Oasis terminal, and there is also one in Dania Beach south of the airport (Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port). :)

Archived