CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

We were supposed to be on the Victory in October, but after the Triumph issues and the Victory then having propulsion issues, the Mrs. insisted we cancel. We're going to Vegas now instead. I will miss cruising, but she was adamant, perhaps next year I can get her on one. However, if this story does turn out to be true about the Dream (which I see no reason why it isn't even though Carnival hasn't confirmed it), it may be harder than I thought to convince her.

Vegas vs. Dream.... that's an EASY call to make! :cool:

(make that Victory, not Dream! :) )

Tom

Hey, why can't they just send another ship and transfer the passengers to the other ship via lifeboats?

Oops...sorry...wrong thread....

Lol. Seriously though, I have 2 cruises booked on Carnival in the next 9 months, both ES. My sister and I will still take the one in May because flights and a hotel have been booked. However, I am trying to decide if I should take the $300 loss (6 people) and book with another line for the January cruise. Enough's enough!

Carnival Dream Reports Problems in St. Maarten

MIAMI March 14, 2013 (AP)

A month after a Carnival cruise ship was stranded for five days in the Gulf of Mexico, another of its cruise ships is reporting equipment problems in the Caribbean.

A U.S. Coast Guard spokeswoman in Miami said Thursday that Carnival Dream's captain notified the agency of possible trouble with the ship's propulsion system.

The cruise ship, which has a capacity of 3,646 passengers and 1,367 crew members, is docked at Phillipsburg in St. Maarten.

Carnival officials didn't immediately return a phone call or email seeking comment.

Petty Officer Sabrina Laberdesque says the ship has sewage and power and officials are working to correct the problems. She says the Coast Guard is not involved because the ship is moored.

An engine fire crippled the Carnival Triumph in February, leaving 4,200 without working toilets or power.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/carnival-dream-reports-problems-st-maarten-18726925

Question...: how often does this happen? Assuming she's underway this morning, how often are ships simply "delayed" in port 12-18 hours due to mechanical issues? We're all on overdrive now but for all I k ow this used to happen fairly often before Splendor and Triumph.

And I got all excited about booking the Dream next year when she came out with a new itinerary. That's it ... I will not book another Carnival ship until this company sorts out it's problems, and clearly, they have problems!!!

I can tell you that you are NOT going to sail on Saturday...

... and if they are able to quickly (and permanently) fix the problem, bringing the ship back to Pt. Canaveral on Sunday - they use the same terminal where the Freedom of the Seas docks on Sundays. The Sensation comes in on Sunday as well... hmmm

Tom

If anyone on the ship now is reading Book a room now in a hotel on the island... Just in case they cant sail back. It will be a nightmare to book all of the people on flights and find rooms for all on the ship.. Make your plan now and prepare for the worse so if it happens you are ready..

Best of luck

Stay low

I can understand one of the older ships having problems, but not one of the "newer" ones. Makes me think CCL may not be maintaining their ships the way they should be. Not good for CCL...

They had them on the older ships too. I remember reading about the Tropicale problems quite often. That was Carnivals first newbuild.

I will take chance if they cut down the cruise fare for the future. Even eliminate single supplement to attract more people since people are more likely to be driven away due to bad publicity, hey I can only dream

I heard Carnival is starting up a new airline....anyone interested in purchasing a ticket? The flight times could be much shorter. lol

Yep, and if it is a flight over water you might get a bonus cruise out of the deal as well. :eek:

Archived