Preferred side of ship leaving NOLA?

sdmike

Asking for a friend who's wondering if there's a preferred side of the ship when leaving NOLA. In Miami, port side offers awesome views while starboard looks over an industrial island. Is there a preference for NOLA?

Thanks in advance

(PS. I tried searching and came up empty)

Most frequently, the ship will be turned so that starboard side will be facing the terminal, and the port side will be facing the water. Forward will be the bridge. As you leave out, the ship will turn, and you will sail down the Mississippi River, and you will have scenery on both sides - I tend to prefer the starboard at that point - though sitting with an aft view is nice during sail away (imo).

At times, however, the ship may have already turned so that the port side is facing the terminal. This doesn't happen too frequently, but it has been known to occur.

Port side.

Especially if the ship is docked on the starboard side, if you go to the port side and look at Algiers before sailaway, as soon as you start to head down river everyone will crowd to the port side, but you will already have your spot on the rail.

• 2 months later...

Another port or starboard side question. What side of the ship faces the middle of the river on the way out to sea? Watching the river traffic and the far shoreline from the balcony sounds pretty interesting to me.

Thanks!

We've done this trip several times now. The first 5-10 minutes will give you a nice view of New Orleans on the Port side. For the next 6-8 hours you will see a lot of small communities on the Starboard side and a lot of industrial activity on both. You will pass quite a bit of river traffic (usually tugs and freighters) on the port with an occasional on the starboard. It gets very dark very fast. We usually give it about 30 minutes and then get into cruise mode and start our activities.

Thanks for that reply! Lots of good info and I think port side sounds like a good option for us.

We've mainly only sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale and in what seems like mins all you see is the distant shore and lots of water. Looking forward to something so different this time.

Thanks again!

Archived