on Dream -no passports

carlp

First off, not having a passport does NOT slow down debarkation. I breeze through every time with my birth certificate and ID. Secondly, It's not a matter of passport cost for everyone.

I personally, and many others (believe it or not), simply CAN'T GET A PASSPORT! There are certain restrictions that that can keep an individual from being able to get a passport. The one such restriction that I have, relates to Child Support. Now, this is none of your business, but I'm very tired of the self-righteous on this board forcing their opinions on this issue. There are many of us travelers that simply CAN'T GET ONE. This isn't because I don't pay support, because I do, but there are OTHER ISSUES related to this that keep me from getting one.

Does this mean I can't cruise? Not at all. It simply means that I HAVE to use a birth certificate and ID to travel. Am I concerned about emergencies? Not at all. I would much rather travel without one, and have the backing of CCL behind me, than travel with one, and be on my own.

So just remember, what works for you may not work for another, and only the cruiseline has the right to say what is REQUIRED, and what is SUGGESTED.

Hmmm. . . If you cannot get a passport because of child support you've opened yourself up to much more self-righteous judgment than the lack of a passport could ever do. My suggestion is that you get those issues resolved, they have a funny way of escalating, so that even if you're right about something . . .know what I mean?

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Maybe they could send a copy to all those posters claiming doom and gloom, at times seemingly subliminally wishing it, on all those passengers without a passport.

This definately needs to be re-posted every time they come out with their prophesies of doom and gloom.

Pardon my ignorance, but how did they board the ship w/o a passport to begin with? I thought they are required now??

You can board with a birth certificate and government issued ID. I did it until last year when I got a passport. I don't fly, so it was never a big deal. If there was a family emergency, you might have an issue flying home. This is a little different. I cannot believe how judgmental and mean some people are about it. Just because I paid for a passport doesn't mean I want someone stranded so I can have the pleasure of saying "you should have gotten a passport like I did."

You can board with a birth certificate and government issued ID. I did it until last year when I got a passport. I don't fly, so it was never a big deal. If there was a family emergency, you might have an issue flying home. This is a little different. I cannot believe how judgmental and mean some people are about it. Just because I paid for a passport doesn't mean I want someone stranded so I can have the pleasure of saying "you should have gotten a passport like I did."

The remarks you are referring to are directed to those on this board that are, um, very, very vocal in their opinion that everyone should have a passport and if you don't have a passport you will be stranded if you miss the ship or have to return because of an emergency.

Fact is if you don't have a passport and you have a bona fide emergency (as opposed to, say, being overserved at Senor' Frogs and losing track of time) that the government will get you home with as little fuss as possible. That is afterall one of the functions of a Consulate.

Let's be clear. Carnival had a large number of passengers without passports, and Carnival has the clout to get those passengers home with minimal inconvenience.

One passenger, or one family, in need of similar arrangements, may or may not be as fortunate.

When I was on the Valor three years ago I couldn't even get Carnival to straighten out a mess with our flight home -- a flight we booked through Carnival, as it happened.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

w

When I was on the Valor three years ago I couldn't even get Carnival to straighten out a mess with our flight home -- a flight we booked through Carnival, as it happened. w

That doesn't surprise me at all. Carnival has no control over the airlines or any say with what they do. Asking Carnival to fix an airline mess is akin to asking them to fix an airport shuttle or hotel mess. If anything I would guess booking Air through Carnival would be a disadvantage as the airlines would prefer you spent your money flying to your vacation destination instead of cruising.

Thanks for the first hand account.

I am surprised to hear that folks without passports were allowed on regular comercial flights to the US. I heard that they would have to go on charter flights to Orlando. Maybe the airline decided to let you board anyway and CBP decided not to call them out for it. In any case, glad you made it home without hassles.

The airline doesn't have the authority to waive passport requirements and will be subject to a fine if they allow a passenger without a required passport to fly.

The letter from CBP is what allowed the passengers to fly without passports.

This does show some of the "doom and gloom" posters were painting an unrealistic picture. There are provisions for temporary passports and letters to handle exceptional circumstances.

Getting a passport makes sense for most of us. Family with a quad cabin. Cost of the passport for the kids might be a significant % of the cost for them to cruise. No other international trips planned. I can understand a budget oriented family deciding to spend their vacation dollars on items other then passports for their kids.

Archived