Excursions from Flam

EGG

Has anyone done an excursion from Flam other than the train? Our ship has a bus tour to Gudvangen and a different excurion to Osterbo.

I am a little concerned that the train is 6 seats accross and wondering what sort of view the people in the aisle seats get. I would also appreciate comments on this.

I did a full-day Celebrity excursion from Flam named "Overland To Voss, Tvinde & Stalheim". It was lot of riding on a bus with multiple stops that were great. The bus trip was very scenic and enjoyable, even in the foggy/overcast, somewhat rainy day. The last part of the trip was the Flam Railway from the mountains back down to the town of Flam. I know everyone raves about the train trip, but I was unfortunately stuck in one of those inner seats you refer to and to be honest, I really couldn't enjoy the ride very much. As you suspect, your visibility is somewhat impacted by those to your left and right. I guess it was still a nice ride, but I didn't come away from it thinking "wow... I can't believe the views I saw". I was, frankly, disappointed. Would I do it again? Probably. Just to see if I could get a better experience. Also, the fact that it wasn't the best weather might have negatively impacted my experience. Views were impacted the entire day.

Has anyone done an excursion from Flam other than the train? Our ship has a bus tour to Gudvangen and a different excurion to Osterbo. I am a little concerned that the train is 6 seats accross and wondering what sort of view the people in the aisle seats get. I would also appreciate comments on this.

When we visited and did Flam in the morning in this great fjord, we then sailed for an afternoon stop in Gudvangen. That gave us an opportunity to do Tvinde waterfall, Stalheim hotel/valley, etc. Below are some of a few of my visuals for what we enjoyed in that very scenic area. You can see lots more on Flam and other key Norway stops on my full live/blog.

Reactions and questions??

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 99,468 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are some highlights from this day in the Sognerfjord that is rated as the best in all of Norway for these views. Near Gudvangen, here is the view from the Stalheim Hotel and then a visual of the spectacular Tvinde Waterfall.

FjordsHotelValleyView.jpg

FjordsFallsWide.jpg

FjordRockSky.jpg

The post above from MeHeartCruising (I like that screen name btw :)) got me thinking. When you are on the Flam Railway train can you move around at all? The only other scenic train ride I have taken is the one in Skagway, Alaska. On that train you could actually stand on small platforms between the cars for some really great views. I'm guessing that's not an option here but I figured I'd ask.

The post above from MeHeartCruising (I like that screen name btw :)) got me thinking. When you are on the Flam Railway train can you move around at all? The only other scenic train ride I have taken is the one in Skagway, Alaska. On that train you could actually stand on small platforms between the cars for some really great views. I'm guessing that's not an option here but I figured I'd ask.

On the good question about the interior of the Flam rail car, below is one of my pictures to show its size, lay-out, etc. I was able to get up, move around and shoot pictures in both directions. Clearly, not everyone can, should or would do that. But, I did for picture purposes, standing in the loading/boarding area near where the number 13 shows in the picture. Below are some other visuals in connection with this great ride up, the top/hotel area, etc. More on the full live/blog noted below.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 99,468 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From our early July 2010 visit to the highly-rated Sognerfjord, here are some added details and sights from Flam, riding the railroad there, etc. This includes showing the interior of the passenger cars, several views from the train going up and back, the view at the hotel deck of the nearby mountains and passengers re-boarding to return to Flam and our ship.::

FlamTrainInterior.jpg

FlamTrainValleyView.jpg

FlamTrain2Tunnel.jpg

FlamHotelDeckMount.jpg

Thanks for the compliment on the screen name. I don't recall being able to move around much on the train. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure I would have done that. I recall that my view was sometimes blocked by people standing up to get their own better view for pictures. This contributed to the visibility problem for others.

Archived