RCCL Jewel or HAL Westerdam

jonj

I am asking this question on both boards

We are down to the choice of sailing on the Westerdam or RCCL Jewel because of the itineraries being offered during the week we can travel. We are two adults and one 17 (b)

Westerdam is going to Turks and Half Moon Cay which are the two main draws

Jewel is doing the southern caribbean and we have not visited any of the ports other than St Maarten

A little background - we have sailed on RCCL twice on the Explorer and the Freedom

Once on HAL on the Zuiderdam

twice on NCL

twice on Carnival

Bunch of times on Disney

Plus or minus between these two ships?

We will probably go with a suite on either

Thank you

We took our family (10 people -- inside and veranda cabins) on the Westerdam for Christmas. Everyone enjoyed the ship and the favorite ports were Grand Turks and Half Moon Cay. Considering all the different orders, we seemed to sample everything on the menu -- rarely disappointed (actually, we later found out that the "younger crowd" sampled everything anything missed later through the room service menu). Never been on Jewel, so I can't compare. However, I can highly recommend Westie!

I am not sure how much better the food is on HAL than on RCI. That type of thing is subjective. Last April we did a Hawaii cruise with friends on HAL and the food received a mix review between us. From better, not as good too about the same.

If ship activities and entertainment are part of your vacation than RCI wins hands down.

A suite on HAL will be more impressive than on RCI.

If itinerary is important than the Jewel wins hands down. Assuming visiting new ports interest your family.

A day on the beach at Half Moon Cay Beach is not what I consider visiting a new port.

The good news is that there are no bad cruises or bad ships. So you win no matter which one you choose.

Thank you. We have sailed in a suite on both lines. Zuiderdam cat SB and explorer of the seas in a grand suite

I also need to keep in mind things that will keep my teen son busy .

Food is better on HAL, and I haven't been on the Westerdam, but I have sailed on it's a sister the Noordam - one really nice thing about this class - TONS of open deck space! So if you, or your party, like being on deck, I'd go with HAL.

Lydia

Hi,

I have cruised on both the Westerdam (seven-day Eastern Caribbean in 2006) and the Jewel of the Seas (five-day Western Caribbean in 2012). Honestly, I really enjoyed both ships. The Westerdam is very similar to the Zuiderdam (I have also cruised on this ship). If you liked the Zuiderdam, you will like the Westerdam.

Both cruises sound good. In deciding which one is better, it depends on what type of cruise you prefer. Both ships are fairly similar in size, age and the number of passengers that they carry. The Westerdam is more subdued and the cruise will be more relaxing (with more time at sea). The Jewel of the Seas is more active and features a port-intensive itinerary. The food on the Westerdam is probably better, but the food on the Jewel was fine. Also, I think the entertainment is better on the Jewel.

I would probably choose the Westerdam unless I was really interesed in seeing new ports in the Southern Caribbean.

Chuck

Archived