Suggestions for Baltic cruise private excursions and guides

chaswill

We will be on an Oceania cruise to the Baltic this July and are looking for ideas from previous cruisers regarding what to do in Berlin, Gdansk, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, Helsinki, and Stockholm and possible guides to use. Any suggestions would be appreciated. You can email me direct: chaslin@surewest.net.

We will be on an Oceania cruise to the Baltic this July and are looking for ideas from previous cruisers regarding what to do in Berlin, Gdansk, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, Helsinki, and Stockholm and possible guides to use. Any suggestions would be appreciated. You can email me direct: chaslin@surewest.net.

If you go to the Ports of Call board and put each of those places in the search engine, you will find all the info you need.

In addition to the ports of call board check roll calls of previous cruises to the same ports.

In my experience guides are essential only in St. Petersburg. Berlin is a very long day trip. Some do it on the train on their own but most opt for the ships tours.

All the other ports can be done on your own if you are adventurous :). The old town area of Tallinn is especially easy to do on foot from the dock. If you want local guides/tours check as recommended above or simply google each port for shore excursions.

Enjoy, Robbie

Also check out Denrus, Red October and Alla, all top tour companies in St. Petersburg. Some will give you a discount if you do tours in Berlin and other ports as well so be sure and ask.

Red October in St. Petersburg...and the guide/tours were great!! LuAnn

We used SPB-Tours for our four-person private tour days in St. Petersburg and also for the 18-person tour I organized from our roll call for Berlin. From my initial email contact through the tours themselves, we had an excellent professional experience. The owner greeted us in St. Petersburg and also checked our satisfaction on our return the last day.

For the other ports, we did everything on our own, using Rick Steves' Scandinavia guidebook (and his Eastern Europe book for Gdansk) for our DIY touring. We love his practical information, and his emphasis on art and history in each location.

I have contacted Omnibus Tours in Gdansk about a tour to the Stuttof Concentration Camp about an hour's ride from Gdansk. Andrew Falkowski at biuro@omnibustourist.com.pl has been very responsive and his prices are way lower than our ship's excursions. He has other itineraries in the area as well. I got his name from a Cruise Critic poster who said she got it from TripAdvisor. Enjoy your cruise.

We've used Alla Tours multiple times in St. Petersburg and they have never let us down.

http://www.alla-tour.com/tours/2

Small enough for VERY personalized service, yet large enough that if somebody gets ill there is a very competent replacement in the wings. Julia is our particular favorite, but all of Alla's Guides speak English beautifully and know St. Petersburg intimately.

In June 2012 - we used Anastasia for private tours on 2 days (just me and my husband) and then we joined 4 others I found on the Roll Call to take the train into Moscow (so worth it!)

http://anastasia.travel/

I did everything with Anastasia online and she was professional and all tours were very prompt. Our guide Olga even knew how to get to the front of the lines. We had a driver which made it so easy. Meals on the 2 days in SPB tours were included as were all admittance fees.

For Getmany, We didn't go into Berlin but also used Friends of Dave and my husband thought outside of Russia this was the best tour EVER! He takes real good care of you and very entertaining.

Archived