Tampa car hire/port hotel type question???

cruise1804

Hi All,

My family and I (husband and three kids) looking to cruise from tampa next year. However we are first going to have 9 night 'doing' parks in orlando then coming back to Tampa for a 5 night cruise. Then after cruise having a couple of days at the beach in St pete's/Clearwater area.

My question is.......(after all that!!) Want to hire a care from Tampa to take to Orlando for 9 night's. Then do we give car back and get a taxi to the port? Then when when cruise ends get a taxi back to airport to hire another car? Or....can anyone reccommend hotel/motel for us to stay on the beach after the cruise? Somewhere we dont need a car and can get a taxi from the port too? Or is my being from the UK and thinking everythings nearby making me think this is a good idea/doable??

Sorry so looong a question! As always grateful of any replies even if to say I've posted question in wrong place. :):)

The port of Tampa has a Hertz car rental two blocks away located at the Mariott Waterside. There is also an Alomo car rental at the Westin on Harbor Island, which is just a few minutes away. They provide a courtesy shuttle to the port. If you rent from Thrifty or Dollar rental car they have a courtesy shuttle from Tampa airport to the port and then back to the airport after your cruise.

As far as getting to the beach, you would be better off renting a car. The Pinellas County beach hotels do not offer shuttle service but you may find some that offer a reduced shuttle fee or special fee for their guests. You would just have to inquire when you book.

We stay at the Alden Beach All Suites when visiting St.Pete Bch. We rent a car but they do have special rates for Limo service etc. You just need to inquire directly with the hotel. If you do rent a car, this hotel has covered parking with a security gate so no worries there. There is plenty within walking distance and at times, we barely used the car, so it is really a toss-up on cost but if you can find a good deal on a rental it does work out best as far as convenience. Here is the hotel link if you desire more info.

www.aldenbeachresort.com

Good luck to you. It sounds like you have a great vacation planned.

:)

If you are flying into the TPA airport then you can rent and return your car there - some of the agencies offer free shuttle service to&from the port (we used National and their shuttles a couple of years ago); if they do not offer a free shuttle, or you get a great deal then a taxi to the port (or from the port back to TPA) is only $25+tip.

Good luck! :)

Thank you for your replies, wondered if I could just ask another question?....Would we be able to get a taxi to the Alamo at Westin or is it not far enough for a cab to want to take us there if you know what I mean?

Will defainately hire a car for the two nights we will spend in Tampa after the cruise as will only work out to be about £60 and it would never be as little as that in a cab to a hotel. :)

Thank you for your replies, wondered if I could just ask another question?....Would we be able to get a taxi to the Alamo at Westin or is it not far enough for a cab to want to take us there if you know what I mean?

Will defainately hire a car for the two nights we will spend in Tampa after the cruise as will only work out to be about £60 and it would never be as little as that in a cab to a hotel. :)

The Westin is only about 5 min away so a taxi would be inexpensive and quick. There is a taxi queue outside of the port and plenty of taxis coming and going.

You may want to check with Alomo as I believe they offer a courtesy shuttle to/from the port for their guests. Here is the link to the Alomo Westin Harbour Island location: https://www.alamo.com/en_US/car-rental/locations/location-details/US/TPAC71-westin-alamo.html

:)

Hosier couple, thank you so much for your help. I've just looked at there website and it does say they offer a courtesy bus to there office, that's going to be so much easier I think. We are going to use Alamo anyway as we get a little bit of discount with them. So excited about the holiday I just want to book everything now but need to rein myself in!

Thanks to everyone who replied, I'm sure ill have loads more questions before we go.

:):):):)

Archived