Mendenhall Glacier/Whale Quest Tour from Princess

SF

Was wondering if anyone has recently been on this shore excursion from Princess? Did you enjoy it? Was it worth the money? How were the waters, rough/smooth? How long were you at the glacier vs on the catamaran whale watching?

We're thinking of taking this tour with Princess instead of with Capt. Larry as the boat is bigger (worried about one person in our group who doesn't do well on smaller boats).

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Allen Marine does an excellent job with their Juneau whale watches. Figure on less than an hour at Mendenhall, but if you want longer, just don't return with the group and take the $5 shuttle back. Auke Bay isn't noted for roughness, but you are on water, no way to predict. :)

My tour book from Princess says we do the Glacier first and then the whale quest. It would have been better if we did the whale watch first and then we could have done what you suggest Budget Queen as that's a good idea. We definitely want to do the tour with the cruiseline in order to get off early as we have to be back by a certain time for pre-arranged plans. Oh well, I'm sure an hour at Mendenhall will be fine as we've seen glaciers before.

Glad to hear Auke Bay isn't usually noted for roughness. Now just have to decide whether to give him Bonine as a precaution or just wait and see. He's fine on the cruiseships but the smaller vessels sometimes bother him. Guess we'll wait and just check the water conditions when we're there.

My tour book from Princess says we do the Glacier first and then the whale quest. It would have been better if we did the whale watch first and then we could have done what you suggest Budget Queen as that's a good idea. We definitely want to do the tour with the cruiseline in order to get off early as we have to be back by a certain time for pre-arranged plans. Oh well, I'm sure an hour at Mendenhall will be fine as we've seen glaciers before.

Glad to hear Auke Bay isn't usually noted for roughness. Now just have to decide whether to give him Bonine as a precaution or just wait and see. He's fine on the cruiseships but the smaller vessels sometimes bother him. Guess we'll wait and just check the water conditions when we're there.

Princess ships most always dock, so your "get off early" doesn't pertain unless you are tendering. Are you???

We dock in all the ports but when I said "get off early" it was in reference to not having to rush and stand in a large group to get off. After reading other posts from people it seems a line forms in and around the lobby area as people want to get off immediately when we dock around 1PM. One person's post said an announcement was made not to block the gangway but people didn't listen. Sounds like the same thing that happens on disembarkation day. I guess it doesn't get as crowded when you get into port earlier as people disembark sporadically but when getting in mid afternoon everyone wants off fast.

We priced the two tours (Mendenhall and whale watching) with a private agency and the price is almost the same as the ship plus we want the bigger catamaran so we'll go have lunch and then meet for our tour as I heard they leave from a different gangway.

We dock in all the ports but when I said "get off early" it was in reference to not having to rush and stand in a large group to get off. After reading other posts from people it seems a line forms in and around the lobby area as people want to get off immediately when we dock around 1PM. One person's post said an announcement was made not to block the gangway but people didn't listen. Sounds like the same thing that happens on disembarkation day. I guess it doesn't get as crowded when you get into port earlier as people disembark sporadically but when getting in mid afternoon everyone wants off fast.

We priced the two tours (Mendenhall and whale watching) with a private agency and the price is almost the same as the ship plus we want the bigger catamaran so we'll go have lunch and then meet for our tour as I heard they leave from a different gangway.

But with your whale watch, you will be either meeting on the dock or in a lounge. NO difference with your crowd concern and getting off the ship. If you do meet in a lounge, you have no advantage, they do NOT stop the current line of disembarking passengers. It doesn't take that long with dock disembarking, only time enough for them to swipe your card. :) Lines are a part of cruise travel today with the huge ships.

The lines aren't the reason we decided to go with Princess for the tour. We usually do all our own tours and travel enough both on land and sea to know in today's world you have lines (there were plenty in Washington, DC where we just returned from) but like I said we wanted the bigger catamaran and the price was very close so it's easier to just go with the cruiseline. I'm sure with the smaller one thru Capt. Larry it's more personable and not as crowded and I would have taken that if it was only my decision but if the person traveling with us feels better on the larger vessel it's not a big deal to me. Glad to know Allen Marine does an excellent job (I believe that's who Princess uses). Thanks again for all your help. :)

We did this tour this past week and we loved it! Allen Marine does a great job and we would continue to use them. We have taken one with Larry but I am the oddball and enjoy Allen Marine so much more. Their naturalist is always on board (Larry doesn't always have a naturalist on board) and we just really enjoy Allen marine!!

Just read on another post from a passenger with Capt. Larry that his boat had only 14 people aboard, so lots of room for everyone to move around, get pics, etc. The Princess whale watching boat had over 120 people aboard and was reported to be to jammed for the best viewing, etc. I booked Capt. Larry last February - hope I made the right choice.

The Princess whale watching boat had over 120 people aboard and was reported to be to jammed for the best viewing, etc. I booked Capt. Larry last February - hope I made the right choice.

Allen Marine is always reported to be jammed--usually by those who haven't even been on one. ;) In three trips I haven't found that true. You'll enjoy Capt Larry too I'm sure, nothing but good reviews.

SF, since they don't have to check packages, getting off the ship is always a LOT faster than getting back on.

smellywax:

Thanks for letting me know that you enjoyed the tour. We are really looking forward to it. Do you remember how long the whale watch part of the tour was? How was the water conditions (rough or hopefully smooth sailing)? Did you also go to Mendenhall Glacier with this tour and if so how long did you spend there?

CruiseIsGood:

Agree, getting off the ship at port is a lot faster than getting on when you return. Especially if a tour or two just finished!

We went to mendenhall first and spent about 45 minutes there...enough time to walk the trail to get the closest you can get to the glacier and spend time in the museum part. For the wildlife quest, it was different both times...the first time I did it with allen marine, we saw some whales in the beginning, spent some time there and then went to view sea lions and then whales again. This time, we saw eagles, sea lions and otters in the beginning and spent the remaining time in an area that had about 4 humpbacks. I would say it was a good 30 minutes. The thing is, once a humpback does a deep dive (when you see the tail), you can be waiting more than 20 minutes for it to resurface, so if there aren't other whales around, they usually leave to try and find others. We were lucky that the whales we saw weren't deep diving at the same time. In both of my trips with Allen, we spent more time viewing the whales then what I did with Larry. But no matter who you chose to go with, nature in Alaska will always be a joy...especially the whales. My absolute favorite tour I have taken and seen both orcas and humpbacks, is with MajorMarine.com out of Seward...we did an all day tour with them to Kenai Fjords prior to our cruise. Have fun!

Thanks for the info. We are really looking forward to this tour as last time we were in Alaska (many years ago) we didn't take a whale watching tour. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

Archived