Customs: Warning

Blanq

There is some local INS manager that is purposefully doing this out of spite and malice in the hopes of " teaching us a lesson ".

There are ways to reduce expenses by 3% , without hurting services. The managers that can't or refuse to do so should be fired.

Kev...its not the (managers)...Its the President who has sent this message down to them. You cant seriosly believe its just a few rouge managers.

Jim

We had a very similar experience when leaving the Constellation in Miami last Saturday. Hours standing in line! We were also given the same excuses from the immigration staff.

We had a fairly short wait 3 weeks ago when getting off the Constellation around 9:00. The line was long, but moved quickly.

Friends of ours are sailing on the RCCL Independence of the Seas out of Port Everglades today. She text me at 11:52am and said they were boarding the ship. The previous passengers must have disembarked in a timely manner. This after several post on RCCL about letters being sent out to the Oasis and Allure passengers about long delays.

And of course there have been problems in Port Everglades all winter long. Add Spring Break to the pot and you've got a real mess.

There's been many reports of this happening since last fall. I don't buy any present lay offs or furloughs as they have to give customs employees 30 days notice.

I agree about using these threads for not venting party affiliation and dissatisfaction. Two sides to every story and everyone is to blame, not one person or party.

And now small knives are allowed. But not yogurt over 100 gm.

Who are the Brains behind these decisions?

''Brains'' ? BRAINS ?? are you kidding ? There are NO brains in those decisions !!:mad::( Even a bird's size brain would have been enough to scrub that decision even before it was ever formulated verbally....

Please stop the venting of your political views and disrespectful comments of our elected leaders here. Instead contact your representatives and make your choices in the voting booth.

Ahh, there's the rub. My representative is doing a good job. One of my two senators is doing a good job; I voted against the other one. unfortunately I cannot vote against every representative and senator doing a poor job. and some people sailing from US ports are citizen of other countries, so they pay fees yet cannot take their concerns to our voting booths.

For those who believe politicians are willing to cause the maximum pain to the populace, forums such as this seem a reasonable place to vent in hopes the politicos may realize their ploy may backfire.

Please stop the venting of your political views and disrespectful comments of our elected leaders here. Instead contact your representatives and make your choices in the voting booth.

I don't respect leaders for being elected......They earn my respect by their actions. Today, I see little positive action....you can take it from there....

I have a great deal of sympathy for the good folks who are going to lose their jobs because they have visible jobs. This is probably one of the most cruel publicity stunts pulled off by our government.....and both sides are equally guilty with most of the blame on the president who could be leading in a positive way rather than running a "hurt the people" campaign. Hopefully, but doubtfully, washington will come to their senses.

I keep hoping for another political party to emerge....the middle of the roaders who will bring sanity back to government rather than our idealistically polarized situation now.

I don't believe for a minute that they need to cut back on customs agents...any more than I believe they had to cut white house tours.

Both sides have good points.....but we don't need the extremists on either side...they aren't helping anyone except themselves (which is of course their only focus).

Beautifully stated. And it galls me even more that "they' think we are so uninformed and gullible that we will believe the nonsense they're peddling.

We had a very similar experience when leaving the Constellation in Miami last Saturday. Hours standing in line! We were also given the same excuses from the immigration staff.

In brief...

U.S. Customs and Border Protection says…

The agency must cut about $754 million from its budget by Sept. 30

as part of the automatic government spending cuts known as the sequester.

Furloughs will begin in mid-April.

The agency "continues to evaluate further impacts of sequestration" on its operations.

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said early in the week

she expects customs "wait times" to increase by 150 to 200 percent.

If you're traveling, get to the airport earlier than you otherwise would.

There's only so much we can do with personnel," Napolitano said.

"There is no escaping the reality that sequestration is having serious effects

on the traveling public and on vital commerce," said Colleen M. Kelley, the union's president.

In brief...

U.S. Customs and Border Protection says…

The agency must cut about $754 million from its budget by Sept. 30

as part of the automatic government spending cuts known as the sequester.

Furloughs will begin in mid-April.

The agency "continues to evaluate further impacts of sequestration" on its operations.

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said early in the week

she expects customs "wait times" to increase by 150 to 200 percent.

If you're traveling, get to the airport earlier than you otherwise would.

There's only so much we can do with personnel," Napolitano said.

"There is no escaping the reality that sequestration is having serious effects

on the traveling public and on vital commerce," said Colleen M. Kelley, the union's president.

I passed thru Newark in early March, and from my observations, you could cut 25% of the pork from the TSA and still feel no degradation. It's poorly managed and should be turned over to private industry. I've never seen Gov't run anything well.

I passed thru Newark in early March, and from my observations, you could cut 25% of the pork from the TSA and still feel no degradation. It's poorly managed and should be turned over to private industry. I've never seen Gov't run anything well.

Again, you are correct.

''Brains'' ? BRAINS ?? are you kidding ? There are NO brains in those decisions !!:mad::( Even a bird's size brain would have been enough to scrub that decision even before it was ever formulated verbally....

Please don't insult the birds. :rolleyes:

Anne

And they could cancel the order for new TSA uniforms and save $50 million.

And they could cancel the order for new TSA uniforms and save $50 million.

There are no new uniforms, but a new contract. At the moment, there's no one to supply uniforms for new hires or to replace uniforms. You must dig beyond certain "news" sites to get the real story.

This was explained to me by a friend who is a TSA supervisor.

There are no new uniforms, but a new contract. At the moment, there's no one to supply uniforms for new hires or to replace uniforms. You must dig beyond certain "news" sites to get the real story.

This was explained to me by a friend who is a TSA supervisor.

Next time I see a story on Yahoo (like I did this one), I guess I'll have to dig a little deeper. Yahoo usually has the correct story.

Next time I see a story on Yahoo (like I did this one), I guess I'll have to dig a little deeper. Yahoo usually has the correct story.

Again, it's not new uniforms, it's a new supply contract. You know - same as the way the military needs a constant supply of uniforms.

However, count me as one who thinks political discussions are inappropriate on Cruise Critic. This isn't the place for nastiness and misinformation.

Archived