St. Thomas or St. John?

LindaKE

If we don't want to go to the beach but prefer to explore the island, which island would be better St. Thomas or St. John? We like beautiful views, nature, wildlife - that kind of thing.

LindaKE

Sun Princess(Alaska)

Carnival Inspiration

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I suggest St. John. The National Park's Visitors' Center in Cruz Bay is open from 8-4:30 and has lots of information about the National parks and the many activities. There is a Reef Trail hike, you can go with a ranger, There is a path to Honeymoon beach, which is like your own deserted island. Check out Mongoose Junction, a quaint shopping center with a deli and bakery. It's built out of Caribbean stone and has tropical plants and is very nice.

I would recommend St. John, as well. We went to both on a cruise and liked St. John so much that we went back the next year for a week. Absolutley beautiful. They are both nice, but we found St. John to be MUCH less touristy, probably since so much of the island is a national park..

We took the hike from the Park Visitor Center to Honeymoon Beach (and I'm no athlete!) It was like paradise. Then we went a little further to Caneel Bay Inn and had a nice snack. Next time I want to go to Trunk Bay. Not sure how it will be more beautiful than little Honeymoon Beach!

St. John without a doubt. St. Thomas has really gone way down hill. We got married on Sapphire Beach in St. Thomas in 1993 and have stayed in St. John several times over the past ten years. In my opinion there's no comparison. As I posted on another message board, we went back to Sapphire Beach in St. Thomas to show our daughter where we got married and we were so dissappointed at the beach and the overall facility. On our way to

Sapphire we saw much of the island and couldn't believe how dirty and dilapidated it had become. I guess several hurricanes will do that. St. John seems to bounce back much better from storms and we found the beaches to just a nice as they were ten years ago. Just my 2 cents. :D

I am in need of a little more info than is posted so far please. I will be travelling with my husband who has M.S. He can walk just not far. He needs a shady area or the beach chairs with the canopy on it. Also can somone please clarify what type of snack bar is there? What type of drinks and foods can you purchase. I've had a hard time finding this type of info so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Carol

I am in need of a little more info than is posted so far please. I will be travelling with my husband who has M.S. He can walk just not far. He needs a shady area or the beach chairs with the canopy on it. Also can somone please clarify what type of snack bar is there? What type of drinks and foods can you purchase. I've had a hard time finding this type of info so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Carol

I was just at Trunk Bay last month off the Carnival Legend and I will do my best to remember!

I would say that from the parking lot to the actual beach at Trunk Bay is about 50 yards, and there is a level paved walkway, ie, doable with a walker/wheelchair. The beach itself is very narrow, so once you are on the beach, the water is extremely close. There are trees lining the beach, so there is definitely ample shade if you need it, however, I didn't see any rentable beach chairs. The snack bar, from what I remember, has a selection of canned pop and beer, and things like hamburgers, hotdogs, french fries, etc. I think they had some ice cream too. There is also a very small gift shop next to the snack bar, with a small wooden patio in between with tables. There's also bathroom and shower facilities. A very beautiful beach area with the necessary amenities, but not too crowded or commercialized.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info! I think he'll be ok there. I was kind of hoping that they had the beach chairs for rent, I know he'd stay there longer if he had one of those! At least he will have an area that is shaded and hopefully in October it won't be too crowded!

Thanks!

Archived