ALL Carnival Corp Ships To Get Upgraded Emergency Generators

Spaniel Lover

• 6 months later...
So this will be done with the normal drydock scheduling or just pierside sooner than later

Pierside, we we were on the Elation sept 16-21 we were told they were putting in the new generator when we got back to New Orleans on the last day of our trip

I'd be curious to know how Carnival's generator configurations (current and after the proposed upgrades) compares to that of other cruise lines.

I can't imagine Carnival's current setup is sub-standard compared to other lines. I'm guessing the upgrades (while a good idea) are more the result of the need for good PR after all the recent problems than they are necessary to bring the ships up to standards of other cruise lines.

Anybody have any insight into how Carnival compares?

I'd be curious to know how Carnival's generator configurations (current and after the proposed upgrades) compares to that of other cruise lines.

I can't imagine Carnival's current setup is sub-standard compared to other lines. I'm guessing the upgrades (while a good idea) are more the result of the need for good PR after all the recent problems than they are necessary to bring the ships up to standards of other cruise lines.

Anybody have any insight into how Carnival compares?

Whatever it is, without having to know how these ships operate, all the other lines with ships that have problems seem to always make it back to port.

With Carnival, they seem to go dead in the water. They redundancy systems and long dry docks should take care of this. Hopefully.

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from a cruise last week and saw the Carnival Freedom sporting this emergency generator. I was curious so I did a search and found this thread.

At least it is an isolated generator - but considering the size of the box, the genny would not be very powerful; probably 500Kw max... not enough to run the propulsion systems.

We also saw a slightly larger container behind the stack on the Carnival Dream when it was in port as well, but again, seems kind of small for running much.

gen1.jpg

gen2.jpg

gen3.jpg

Maybe these are just temporary solutions until a more permanent solution can be found, because there is probably no room in any existing area to put such large equipment.

Edited by awboater

We just returned from a cruise last week and saw the Carnival Freedom sporting this emergency generator. I was curious so I did a search and found this thread.

At least it is an isolated generator - but considering the size of the box, the genny would not be very powerful; probably 500Kw max... not enough to run the propulsion systems.

We also saw a slightly larger container behind the stack on the Carnival Dream when it was in port as well, but again, seems kind of small for running much.

gen1.jpg

gen2.jpg

gen3.jpg

Maybe these are just temporary solutions until a more permanent solution can be found, because there is probably no room in any existing area to put such large equipment.

I was on the same cruise.

gen1.jpg

Those generators are meant to run the guest comfort systems, not the engines.

It's also possible they were simply transporting it.

I was on the Freedom last week as well. I tried to find some specs on this power unit but didn't see anything listed on the outside. It does look pretty hefty though. I don't know where the fuel would be coming from unless they can somehow pump it from the ship's tanks.

large.jpg

if they're putting these temporary electrical generators on all the ships, as clearly they are from first hand accounts, i wonder why carnival is not making some form of acknowledgment of that fact.

perhaps because it would serve to confirm that there is a definite deficiency in the ships' current systems and re-open that 'can of worms'... or because it looks so 'ghetto'?

but step in the right direction, right? :)

if they're putting these temporary electrical generators on all the ships, as clearly they are from first hand accounts, i wonder why carnival is not making some form of acknowledgment of that fact.

perhaps because it would serve to confirm that there is a definite deficiency in the ships' current systems and re-open that 'can of worms'... or because it looks so 'ghetto'?

It does look ghetto. Too bad they can't camaflouge it. (sp)

I would think that a potential cruiser who is on the fence because of the engine room problems would be put at ease knowing that the ships have these temporary emergency generators on board until a permanent solution can be installed. I think that a press release, or some other announcement like that would be good PR for Carnival.

I would think that a potential cruiser who is on the fence because of the engine room problems would be put at ease knowing that the ships have these temporary emergency generators on board until a permanent solution can be installed. I think that a press release, or some other announcement like that would be good PR for Carnival.

You are right

i agree, that is why i am surprised they have made no mention of it in any manner i'm aware of. they had a release about the $300 million upgrade, but that seemed to be (and is) a more extended 'permanent' fix that would (and will) take months to implement.

if in the meanwhile they are taking some rather sizeable steps to provide a temporary back up, you'd think they'd want to put that out there, rather than landing these generators the size of school buses by the stack of each ship in the fleet without a word.

it's not like we don't already know what would happen with the current design(s) in the event of a catastrophic failure, see: carnival splendor, carnival triumph.

ghetto looking or not, like i said, it's a step in the right direction. :)

i agree, that is why i am surprised they have made no mention of it in any manner i'm aware of. they had a release about the $300 million upgrade, but that seemed to be (and is) a more extended 'permanent' fix that would (and will) take months to implement.

if in the meanwhile they are taking some rather sizeable steps to provide a temporary back up, you'd think they'd want to put that out there, rather than landing these generators the size of school buses by the stack of each ship in the fleet without a word.

it's not like we don't already know what would happen with the current design(s) in the event of a catastrophic failure, see: carnival splendor, carnival triumph.

Totally agree, not sure what difference it make where they are long as they do what they are supposed to do.

I posted my pic of the generator on the Freedom to John Heald's FB page saying if it was a temporary fix until permanent change can be made it was a great idea. Carnival deleted the post within 2 minutes. I guess they don't want good PR.

I posted my pic of the generator on the Freedom to John Heald's FB page saying if it was a temporary fix until permanent change can be made it was a great idea. Carnival deleted the post within 2 minutes. I guess they don't want good PR.

oh wow, well if that isn't proof positive they want to keep this strictly 'hush hush' i don't know what is! lol

then i think that perhaps my hypothesis, that they don't want to open that can of worms is their mode of operation right now. i suppose it's an effort to not rehash that matter for the first-time or 'newer' cruisers. seasoned cruisers, i think, would take solace in knowing they are making provisions, for what most would understand to be a very unlikely happening. i assume, they think a new cruiser, may think instead 'well if they need to put these generators on all their ships, they must think that needing them would be a distinct possibility'.

well, at least we know they are taking steps in a positive direction regardless. :)

oh wow, well if that isn't proof positive they want to keep this strictly 'hush hush' i don't know what is! lol

then i think that perhaps my hypothesis, that they don't want to open that can of worms is their mode of operation right now. i suppose it's an effort to not rehash that matter for the first-time or 'newer' cruisers. seasoned cruisers, i think, would take solace in knowing they are making provisions, for what most would understand to be a very unlikely happening. i assume, they think a new cruiser, may think instead 'well if they need to put these generators on all their ships, they must think that needing them would be a distinct possibility'.

well, at least we know they are taking steps in a positive direction regardless. :)

You could very well be right. I just like knowing that they are taking positive steps, just in case, although it might be fun being on an "Adventure Cruise" as as long as it has a good outcome. :D LOL I don't know how long they can keep it secret with the big white elephant sitting behind the whale tale like that.

That's kinda odd. I guess they really don't want it publicized how ill equipped the ships really were.