Halal food/food not cooked with alcohol?

koryisma

Hi, all.

This Friday, we leave for my husband's first cruise ever. He has fairly strict dietary guidelines:he only eats meat prepared a certain way and can't have food cooked with alcohol.

He is totally fine eating vegetarian/seafood only. I'm more worried about things cooked with alcohol. I've emailed Carnival but never got a straight answer from them.

Who would you contact to see what options are? Specifically, is there a way to see ingredient lists to know what dishes might be cooked with wine/liquor?

Additionally, with so many Indonesian/Malaysian staff members, I wonder if there is halal meat onboard. Any ideas?

I keep reading about the "Indian vegetarian" entrees-- what is the story with these? Are they on the menu? How do we learn about them?

Thanks so much!

Ive ordered the Indian meals, but they have to be ordered 24 hours in advance, so you cant order one for the first night in the MDR.

If it has liquor in it, it would usually say on the name of the dish. some desserts for instance.

There is also a vegetarian option each night I believe on the nightly menu.

Ive ordered the Indian meals, but they have to be ordered 24 hours in advance, so you cant order one for the first night in the MDR.

If it has liquor in it, it would usually say on the name of the dish. some desserts for instance.

There is also a vegetarian option each night I believe on the nightly menu.

Thanks. Do we need to order in advance of departure, or do they always have it available? We're going to be on the Fantasy.

Hi, all.

This Friday, we leave for my husband's first cruise ever. He has fairly strict dietary guidelines:he only eats meat prepared a certain way and can't have food cooked with alcohol.

He is totally fine eating vegetarian/seafood only. I'm more worried about things cooked with alcohol. I've emailed Carnival but never got a straight answer from them.

Who would you contact to see what options are? Specifically, is there a way to see ingredient lists to know what dishes might be cooked with wine/liquor?

Additionally, with so many Indonesian/Malaysian staff members, I wonder if there is halal meat onboard. Any ideas?

I keep reading about the "Indian vegetarian" entrees-- what is the story with these? Are they on the menu? How do we learn about them?

Thanks so much!

On multiple cruises I have had the indian veg meal the first night .Its offered in the main dining room.If you talk to the maitre D the first day he can make this happen for you for the rest of your cruise

Thanks. Do we need to order in advance of departure, or do they always have it available? We're going to be on the Fantasy.

You can order it in advnace, but I sat with a Indian lady and her child and they didnt get it the first night .. they were vegatarian. So ordering it ahead of time is a waste of effort.

I dont know they will do it every ship. The top cooks are Indian on most ships so thats why they will make these Indian family style meals for you. They are excellent, so I would try.

Its quite a full dinner they bring .. too much for one person. Lovely meal with different kinds of Indian bread.

Hi, all.

Thanks so much!

here is the menu for 7 day cruises and if you scroll down indian veg dinner is served everynight

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/CarnivalConquest2012/menus/mdr_dinner.html

here is the menu for 7 day cruises and if you scroll down indian veg dinner is served everynight

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/CarnivalConquest2012/menus/mdr_dinner.html

yes, and its good but one entree.

Two different things. the meal you order is a complete meal with various entrees and veggies and bread.

Both Im sure are good. I have only done the meal you order in advance a couple of times.

You didn't say why he can't have food cooked with alcohol, but most food "cooked" with alcohol has no alcohol in it. "Cooked" implies the application of heat, which evaporates the alcohol, which carries the flavoring the chef is actually looking for. With MOST cooked food the amount of alcohol is small enough, and the amount of heat great enough, that the alcohol evaporates within a few seconds to a few minutes. My post may be moot though depending on your reasons.

My son orders the Indian Vegetarian off the Everyday Menu. It's available each night. Is a different meal each night that comes with everything, including bread. Each night he would get about three plates of different stuff with a different type of "bread" each night. He didn't have to order it in advance.

yes, and its good but one entree.

Two different things. the meal you order is a complete meal with various entrees and veggies and bread.

Both Im sure are good. I have only done the meal you order in advance a couple of times.

I have had both ,though never ordered through the maitre d or special needs department

Our last cruise I ordered the indian veg entree and asked if I would be able to order every night and was told yes.

The next time we went to the MDR our servers remembered and brought me out two different entrees ,both with 3 or 4 ramekins and rice/bread.I guess it depends on the ship and staff

You didn't say why he can't have food cooked with alcohol, but most food "cooked" with alcohol has no alcohol in it. "Cooked" implies the application of heat, which evaporates the alcohol, which carries the flavoring the chef is actually looking for. With MOST cooked food the amount of alcohol is small enough, and the amount of heat great enough, that the alcohol evaporates within a few seconds to a few minutes. My post may be moot though depending on your reasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halal

My son orders the Indian Vegetarian off the Everyday Menu. It's available each night. Is a different meal each night that comes with everything, including bread. Each night he would get about three plates of different stuff with a different type of "bread" each night. He didn't have to order it in advance.

Has he been successful getting the not too spicy variety? Always to spicy for me no matter what I say.

The Indian vegetarian dinner will be available nightly and will be different every night. As to the spice, it is Indian food, and will naturally be somewhat spicy. This is not prepared "a la minute", but in advance just like all other items, so specifying you want less heat may not do anything. But it is authentic and very, very good.

I have had both ,though never ordered through the maitre d or special needs department

Our last cruise I ordered the indian veg entree and asked if I would be able to order every night and was told yes.

The next time we went to the MDR our servers remembered and brought me out two different entrees ,both with 3 or 4 ramekins and rice/bread.I guess it depends on the ship and staff

The Indian Vegetarian is on a rotation basis. The Indian served on the first CE night always has okra.

unfortunately you are wrong -- and for people who for religious, health or addiction purposes cannot have alcohol, this is a major consideration.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2011/11/alcohol-doesnt-really-cook-out-of-food-in-most-cases/

The Indian vegetarian dinner will be available nightly and will be different every night. As to the spice, it is Indian food, and will naturally be somewhat spicy. This is not prepared "a la minute", but in advance just like all other items, so specifying you want less heat may not do anything. But it is authentic and very, very good.

Actually a couple of cruies ago the head waiter said it was prepared nightly in two version, regular spicy and toned down and could order the toned down version.

The toned down version was rather hot.

He can speak with the hostess the first day of the cruise and request an Indian vegetarian meal each night. Here is a link to the sample menus. https://www.goccl.com/~/media/Files/Irman/bookccl/shipboard_knowledge/Indian_Meals.htm

The other option is to request Kosher meals. Kosher and Halal meal prep is almost the same and may meet his needs. Here is a link about that. https://www.goccl.com/~/media/Files/Irman/bookccl/shipboard_knowledge/Kosher_Meals.htm

Sorry this is OT but we're so looking forward to the Indian food when we cruise this fall, partially due to earlier posts you made. I cook it at home sometimes, mainly when we're in our religious fasting periods (because 42 days with no meat or dairy gets really boring quickly-- Indian food saves us), but I'm not Indian ethnically so don't know how good mine is, though my recipes come from the ladies at our neighborhood Indian grocery. And if my husband isn't sweating, he doesn't think it's hot enough. :D

To the OP-- hope your husband finds lots to eat. We have close neighbors who are Islamic so keeping halal is on my mind when we entertain them. Can't offer them pasta with red sauce since I make it with wine (so that lets out pizza as well) but we manage.

Have a great cruise.

The Indian Vegetarian is on a rotation basis. The Indian served on the first CE night always has okra.

Indian Vegetarian is available nightly and is on the "Everyday" menu each night.

SadieN meant the Indian dinner is different each night. On CE night, one of the food items that changes is the okra dish.

Archived