Honeymoon Cruise, please Help

genxian

Hello everyone,

I would like some opinions about a honeymoon cuise. I live in Nebraska and I am getting married June 24th 2006! That is a Saturday and pretty much all 7 day cruises (to the carribean) sail at 5pm Sunday, so we are concerned about trying to travel all day Sunday (possibly missing the ship, ie. takes a long time to fly from Nebraska to Miami) since Saturday is dedicated to the wedding.

So we are looking at a 7 day cruise out of San Juan on the Destiny which sails Sunday the 25th (it sails at 10pm though so it should be doable). It goes to St Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, and Aruba. It is by far the most expensive. We are also looking at 3 different 5 day cruises that leave on Monday the 26th (these give us much more time to travel). They are the Ecstasy out of Galveston, the Sensation out of New Orleans, and the Celebration out of Jacksonville. The Ecstasy and Sensation go to Calica and Cozumel, while the Celebration goes to Key West and Nassau.

I know that the Celebration is an old ship, but recently been revamped. I have been on the Ecstasy in the early 90's and it was very nice. I believe the Sensation is the same class as the Ecstasy, but a bit newer.

My fiance gets a little sea sick but not bad, so the smoother the ride the better for her. I have heard the Celebration can be a rough ride. Lots of variables to consider on which cruise to pick. Any advice and opinions will be very welcomed. Thanks in advance.

By the way, we recently sailed the Valor to Belize, Grand Cayman (rained out), Cozumel, and Roatan. We loved it.

I personally would not sail on the older ships again. I did sensation back in 94 and then Glory in 2004. I loved the Glory and didn't remember a lot from sensation in 1994. Well this past March we did Fantasy and I was kind of disappointed because I really liked the new bigger ship. The ship was clean, but it was kind of worn out. I definately got what I paid for, but my next cruise will be Valor or Liberty...(maybe even Glory again).

Just my 2 cents!

Why not do the Sensation out of New Orleans. You can plan a post cruise vacation there. I have never been, but from reading these boards I have read where it is the most fun port. That way you can enjoy your wedding without having to rush and also get 2 different honeymoons. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and your cruise:)

This may be out of the question but how important is it for you to leave on your honeymoon immediately? When we got married, the cruise we wanted left on a Saturday. Of course, our wedding was also on a Sat. We decided to take a 2 week honeymoon. We spent the 1st few days relaxing around home. Then we left for Miami on Thursday and spent 2 nights there pre-cruise.

I'd do the Destiny in a minute. She is also going to Dry Dock for a face lift in September, so she'll be pretty new even by July. Keep watching for airfare sales, etc, but the itinerary is not to be missed!!! Summer will be kind of a nightmare on any ship for a honeymoon IMO- I'm not a kid person and having 1200 on board wouldn't be my cup of tea personally. Get an Aft Cabin so you cut down on the hallway noise and you two can have some quiet time together and enjoy Aruba, Barbados, Dominica, and St. Thomas.

I'm thinking about doing this cruise again in September 06 with a group.

DH and I went on a cruise for our honeymoon last year. We flew the day after the wedding/day of cruise from Lexington, Ky to Atlanta then to Miami and had plenty to get to the cruise ship. We made sure that we had plenty of time to board and had booked an early flight. I don't think that it is impossible if that is something you really want to do. Just make sure you buy trip insurance just in case and book early flights and leave yourself plenty of time to get to the ship. HTH.

Rebecca

I wouldn't go on an older ship. Spend the money and take the 7 day - make your honeymoon memorable - it only happens once! (for most people).

I was on the Conquest in 2003 and then on the Rhapsody of the Seas last year - it was hard going to an older ship for me.

don't know what time your wedding is, but I'm in IA and it only took about 6 hours to travel from here to Miami. I'd book a "red eye" for the night of your wedding (depending on how close the nearest airport is), get a nice hotel for cheap on priceline, crash there, sleep in, grab breakfast on Sunday and head to the port.

Have you considered going out to Long beach on the Pride on the 25th, Mexican Riviera? A bit closer. Conquest out of New Orleans, 25th? How about something totally different..Carnival Spirit to Alaska on the 28th? OK one last one..a 5-dAY out of NY to Canada on the Victory the 26th?

I know the Legend is doing 8 days out of New York to the Caribbean between May and October 2006 but I can't find the specific dates (call Carnival). She doesn't always sail on Sundays.

Hello everyone,

I would like some opinions about a honeymoon cuise.

genxian:

We also got married on a Saturday and flew out of WV @ 6:00AM to Atlanta and then to Orlando. Picked up our rental car and drove to Port Canaveral from Orlando and had plenty of time before boarding began...don't recall what time boarding began but we were there too early to board. I also don't recall what time we sailed but it was still daytime so it couldn't have been too late.

I know it isn't recommended to fly in the day you sail but we did and had plenty of time; we're flying in two days early for next weeks cruise on the Victory but we aren't getting married on Saturday this time. :cool: I would recommend that you choose the ship and itenerary you want even if it leaves on Sunday; you'll make it just fine as long as you relax and have a good time...plus you'll need to get used to being referred to as Mr and Mrs 'genxian' and referring to each other as 'husband' and 'wife.' ;) :D

Congrats on your upcoming marriage too by the way! :)

genxian,

My fiance and I are going to be on Carnival Legend (NYC) for our honeymoon cruise in June of 2005.

Our wedding is in June 25th. We decided to give ourselves one day to rest, then fly to NYC on the 27th. We are staying in Manhattan for a few days and go on our cruise on the 30th through July 8th.

If you are interested in doing something similar, there is a cruise date for Carnival Legend on June 29, 2006 through July 7, 2006.

Our wedding was on Saturday evening as well (a 5:30 wedding) and we partied quite late into the night. We got to our hotel, opened wedding cards, signed checks, etc. and tried to sleep. We crashed, but got up at 5:00 am to make our 7:00 am flight out. We were on the Festivale (yep - 1991!!) that went out of San Juan and left port at 4:00. We flew from Boston and had no trouble whatsoever making it to the ship with plenty of time to spare. You shouldn't worry about making it on time. The only thing was that were were wiped out that night, but we slept in the next day and had the most amazing time!! Met tons of honeymoon couples and are still friends with a few of them 14 years later!

I think you'll be fine if you go out on Sunday, even after the wedding on Saturday. You may be tired but you'll have all week to relax and recover. I'd say that you should go for a newer ship rather than an older one, especially if your fiancee has a tendency to get seasick. The stabilizers are probably better on a newer ship.

Congrats on your upcoming nuptials - and have a BLAST on your honeymoon!

Robin

We did a cruise on our honeymoon, and had the same situation. We decided to leave the following week. This way we were not in a rush, and we are so glad we didn't try to leave the same weekend of the wedding. As for the motion sickness, my wife will be try a motionsickness wrist band. No med, so no side effects. We saw people using them during our honeymoon, so she will give them a try. You can get them at scuba shops or online for $10 at www.leisurepro.com . Have a great honeymoon, and good luck.

If you're going to San Juan, that's an awfully long flight the day after your wedding. You're going to be exhausted from the wedding and dealing with long flights might not be fun. I doubt there's a direct from Nebraska, so you'd have to take into account transferring and the stress of "what if you miss the connection". I'm sure even the big airports like O'Hare don't have flights every hour to San Juan.

For our honeymoon, we went to Tahiti. We got married on a Saturday and didn't leave until Thursday. I went back to work for those three days. It sucked, but oh well. Better than having the added stress, IMO.

But it's doable. You just have to make sure you have all your bags packed days in advance, and then take a connecting flight early in the morning on Sunday. Allow for plenty of time, you never know what will happen at the airport.

Hi everyone,

I am really appreciating all of your input. Here's my thoughts and updates.

We are pretty sure we are going to do a 7 day now. We are looking at the Destiny from San Juan still. We are now looking at the Conquest out of New Orleans (we were just on Valor so this should be very similar), and (gawk) the Rhapsody of the Seas from Galveston. The Conquest and Rhapsody have the same itenerary (Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Montego Bay) and the Rhapsody is cheaper by a bit. I'm not sure if "the Royal Carribean" experience is worth going on an older ship (built 1997, refurbed Nov. 2004) versus the new Conquest.

I wouldn't mind delaying the honeymoon departure but we need to be back in Nebraska by July 4th for family/job reasons so fitting a 7 day in between the wedding and July 4th basically means sailing Sunday.

If anyone has any other recommendations my ears are open, I am going to investigate the Pride sailing western mexico (I have been on the Pride before FYI) now.

Thanks so much all,

P.S. screen name is genxian but call me Brandon

Hi everyone,

I am really appreciating all of your input. Here's my thoughts and updates.

We are pretty sure we are going to do a 7 day now. We are looking at the Destiny from San Juan still. We are now looking at the Conquest out of New Orleans (we were just on Valor so this should be very similar), and (gawk) the Rhapsody of the Seas from Galveston. The Conquest and Rhapsody have the same itenerary (Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Montego Bay) and the Rhapsody is cheaper by a bit. I'm not sure if "the Royal Carribean" experience is worth going on an older ship (built 1997, refurbed Nov. 2004) versus the new Conquest.

I wouldn't mind delaying the honeymoon departure but we need to be back in Nebraska by July 4th for family/job reasons so fitting a 7 day in between the wedding and July 4th basically means sailing Sunday.

If anyone has any other recommendations my ears are open, I am going to investigate the Pride sailing western mexico (I have been on the Pride before FYI) now.

Thanks so much all,

P.S. screen name is genxian but call me Brandon

I'm here in Omaha, NE and we're taking the Conquest out of New Orleans for our Honeymoon. Midwest Airlines has a direct flight from MCI (kansas city) to New Orleans, so it's worth the quick drive down for us.

I will check in to the direct flight from Kansas city, thanks for the info.

One more option just popped up. 4 day from Port Canaveral to Bahamas and then spend a few more days in Orlando after the cruise.

Thanks for all the help so far guys,

Brandon

I just got married on May 15 (a Sunday) but had my heart set on a 7 day cruise - and they all only leave on Sat or Sunday so we waited the week and sailed the following Saturday. It was totally worth the wait to take the cruise I really wanted. I was able to take the full two weeks off, but DH didn't have as much vacation time as I did so he actually worked the days in between. People thought he was crazy but it didn't detract from the trip at all. We had a perfect honeymoon on the Glory!

we had the same problem... Wanted to do the Glory that left on Saturday were planning on getting married Friday night, ended up getting married on Thursday instead!! We did it all so we could be sure we had time to get on the Glory!! (priorities?!?!) ... Granted we had a outside small wedding of about 50 people and none had to travel

We did our honeymoon on Destiny! Great cruise, beautiful ship, and fantastic memories to cherish forever! We got married on a Friday evening, and flew to PR on Sunday morning with NO problems whatsoever. We hope to do it again for an uncoming anniversary. Congratulations and have fun whatever you decide to do!:)

Archived