We Will Never Cruise With RCI Again

Thanks Paul,

I think RCI should clearly state wine in carry on only.

And I think it was RCI's responsibility to bring the luggage to the room.

Someone likes mac and cheese and there are 100 posts debating it. If you post something incorrect 20 people will usually roast you. But in the other post all three of the alcohol responses were basically wrong. Where did anyone say put it only in your carry on. Or correct the inaccurate information saying you couldn't take it.

And is there more to the story...probably.

I suspect that RCI would deliver the luggage to the room, if you asked them to. The OP says he was told he could take his bag now, so he had to "schlep" it to his room. He never really says that he asked them to deliver it, instead. Most people, after waiting extra time for their luggage, would probably prefer to take it on to the room.

(And, again, those responses in the other thread about liquor were not "basically wrong"; they were basically correct. But I agree that they are a different question than asking about wine.)

All three of which were correct, since it was a question about "liquor." :cool:

The OP did say it was wine in their luggage, which was allowed.

I'm not sure I would want to live on the difference between alcohol and liquor.

If that's the case then I want the post in the Mac and Cheese thread referring to "Velveeta" as a type of cheese stricken from the record.:D

That is a pretty silly reason to swear off a cruise line, but it is obviously your call. Would you rather they open your bags on their own and go through all of your personal belongings if they think they see something that may be on their banned item list?

I think they expected the bag to be delivered to their room. The security people probably figured they were doing them a favor letting them take it immediately. With no personal experience, I've heard the naughty room crew aren't known for their hospitality.

The OP stated that they mainly cruise on Princess. I looked on their web sight I didn't see any won't cruise RCL threads on there.

Princess cruises are less strict about what you can carry on board with you, if they had the Princess attitude such as we can do this on Princess. Maybe they should realize that, Toto we are not in Kansas anymore.

The OP did say it was wine in their luggage, which was allowed.

I'm not sure I would want to live on the difference between alcohol and liquor.

If that's the case then I want the post in the Mac and Cheese thread referring to "Velveeta" as a type of cheese stricken from the record.:D

I'm talking about the previous thread that you were dissecting, not this one. I have never heard anyone refer to beer or wine as "liquor." In my experience, liquor always refers to a higher-proof, distilled alcohol. And, since that earlier thread was discussing liquor, the responses were accurate. But they were not accurate, had the discussion been about wine.

So, I'm not talking about the difference between alcohol and liquor, but between wine and liquor.

On a recent cruise with RCI one of our bags did not show up to our cabin by 7pm so I went to inquire and was told the bag had been "confiscated" because it had alcohol it in. I was then led to a little room by a very unpleasnt employee and instructed to open the bag so they could see what was in it. While several employees stood staring at me I got down on the floor and opened the bag and showed them two bottles of wine. Their published policy allows two bottles of wine per cabin. I was then told ok you can take your bag now (with the wine inside) and I was left to schlep the bag all the way to my cabin. Throughout this episode I was never offered any apology or kind word by any of them.

We are vetern cruisers on many different lines. I'm not at all happy about this encounter and it will be my last RCI cruise.

Why didnt you carry them on instead of packing them. What if they had broken inside your bag... then I guess that would be RCI's fault too?? Its your own fault. They did their job, but they could have been nicer to you, but thats still no reason to be that upset about it. One less RCI cruiser means one more Fruit Tart for me...lol :p

Thanks Paul,

I think RCI should clearly state wine in carry on only.

And I think it was RCI's responsibility to bring the luggage to the room.

Someone likes mac and cheese and there are 100 posts debating it. If you post something incorrect 20 people will usually roast you. But in the other post all three of the alcohol responses were basically wrong. Where did anyone say put it only in your carry on. Or correct the inaccurate information saying you couldn't take it.

And is there more to the story...probably.

I agree.....the policy clearly needs to be clear so as to avoid these needless encounters.

If you are made to go to the naughty room and you have done nothing wrong at all, as is the reported case here. They should at a bear minimum say sorry for any inconvenience....etc. I have no sympathy if you are trying to pull a fast one etc, but this was not the case. They should also offer to deliver the bag to the room as well.

I read the OP post and took it at face value OP was made to feel like a criminal as the accusation was

the bag had been "confiscated" because it had alcohol it in.
They had not broken any policy and a simply sorry would have went a long way!

I'm talking about the previous thread that you were dissecting, not this one. I have never heard anyone refer to beer or wine as "liquor." In my experience, liquor always refers to a higher-proof, distilled alcohol. And, since that earlier thread was discussing liquor, the responses were accurate. But they were not accurate, had the discussion been about wine.

So, I'm not talking about the difference between alcohol and liquor, but between wine and liquor.

I'm up at the clubhouse where I live. There is currently a reception about to start for the women's golf tournament. I talked with one of the ladies(a good friend of ours).

She mentioned the men (including her husband) were having their reception at a local restaurant. I asked why not here. She said because they could have liquor (her words not mine) there. I asked what she meant by liquor since that restaurant only serves beer and wine.

Beer, that is what she said she meant.

I guess it's not just me. :o

I could poll the audience, but they are already heavy into the alcohol. Or wine as it appear to me.:D

On a recent cruise with RCI one of our bags did not show up to our cabin by 7pm so I went to inquire and was told the bag had been "confiscated" because it had alcohol it in. I was then led to a little room by a very unpleasnt employee and instructed to open the bag so they could see what was in it. While several employees stood staring at me I got down on the floor and opened the bag and showed them two bottles of wine. Their published policy allows two bottles of wine per cabin. I was then told ok you can take your bag now (with the wine inside) and I was left to schlep the bag all the way to my cabin. Throughout this episode I was never offered any apology or kind word by any of them.

We are vetern cruisers on many different lines. I'm not at all happy about this encounter and it will be my last RCI cruise.

Sorry to hear it was such a horrific experience. :cool:

On our recent cruise, we too were called down to the naughty room.

All but one of our bags had arrived, and they called our room to summon us down.

DW went up to the pool deck, and I went down, not knowing what to expect since we hadn't packed ANY alcohol on this cruise. (for a change :p )

So when I got down to deck 2, there was a sizeable line-up, and someone with a clip-board walking up and down the line. My first thought - great here goes a wasted hour.

But the fellow with the clip-board asked me my name and cabin number.

I gave it, and then he led me over to another group of gentlemen sitting at a table with some luggage behind it.

He asked me to identify my bag which I did (it was our garment bag).

He then stated that alcohol was not allowed and the scanner had picked up something that clearly looked like alcohol, and would I mind opening it for them. I was told I could do it there, or in private.

I replied no, not a problem, and unzipped the bag. I remembered that at the last minute DW had thrown in a large bottle of suntan lotion, and another of her contact lens solution, and both were double-wrapped in sealed plastic bags.

I removed both bags, showed the contents whereby they were satisfied and closed up the garment bag again.

I was asked if I wanted a staff member to carry up my suitcase but I declined since the thing has a handle and wheels, and its easy to roll.

The entire ordeal lasted about 20 minutes and they were courteous and professional, and I had no problem with it or their rules.

If we had decided to take two bottles on board with us, I would have carried them on anyway.

I'm up at the clubhouse where I live. There is currently a reception about to start for the women's golf tournament. I talked with one of the ladies(a good friend of ours).

She mentioned the men (including her husband) were having their reception at a local restaurant. I asked why not here. She said because they could have liquor (her words not mine) there. I asked what she meant by liquor since that restaurant only serves beer and wine.

Beer, that is what she said she meant.

I guess it's not just me. :o

I could poll the audience, but they are already heavy into the alcohol. Or wine as it appear to me.:D

I guess you never grew up with the "Beer before liquor . . . " rhyme. :D Don't know if there really any truth to the rhyme, but all us normal people make a distinction between liquor and fermented (not distilled) beverages like beer and wine. :p

I guess you never grew up with the "Beer before liquor . . . " rhyme. :D Don't know if there really any truth to the rhyme, but all us normal people make a distinction between liquor and fermented (not distilled) beverages like beer and wine. :p

Nope. Had to google it to be sure.:eek:

I used to drink Bartles and Jaymes wine coolers when I was much younger. Now I am not sure what they would be classified as. I know they were not non-alcoholic.:D

Are you trying to say I'm not normal?:o

No offense taken.

i guess i will chime in here and help make the 7 pages happen. At least 3 pages have posted since i started reading this thread. I have not taken my first cruise yet, but in preparation for it have learned many tips and tricks here on cc to make my cruise more enjoyable and with far fewer problems. One of the very first things i learned was not to try and bring my wine onboard except in my carryon. I even went so far as to discard my rum runners which i had purchased to sneak in some more wine in my checked baggage. If i do get sent to the naughty room it will be for an honest mistake and i will not make a big deal of it and ruin my or my dw's whole cruise. If i unexpectedly encounter a rude, crude or obnoxious ship's staff member i will have no problem addressing that issue then and there whilst maintaining my usual charming demeanor.

like! :)

They should have made arrangements to get the bags to the cabin. Some older people or people with health/mobility issues may have big problem.

I have no problem with the naughty room, personally I do not thin, they catch all prohibited items and they could be real security issues like the making of a bomb, with explosive chemicals etc.

I had an adventure with the naughty room, I was never called, and ship was leaving, finally my cabin steward suggested I go to the naughty room, and there was my luggage. Scary for I was on the beginning of a 35 day travel adventure, nothing was found except my lethal weapon a swiss army knife that has been on every cruise and trip with me, but it got caught for being I guess 1/4 inch too long of a blade. I never received any apology from security for not calling me. I ask if some one could bring my luggage to the cabin and they said yes, but I decided to do it my self.

If say, Princess as mentioned above, does not inspect the luggage they are not doing any favors for the security of their cruisers, but some how I doubt that is the truth.

my contribution to the 7 page goal. No words can express how dumb it is to not sail again because of a call to the naughty room. Be happy "someone" thinks you can be a little naughty.

How was the rest of cruise? How many "naughty" people did you encounter during the cruise? Did you do any other "naughty" things. Come on op, share. This is going to get juicy!

Just kiddin' - i was just being "naughty". :p

hey, you can always sail carnival. They don't have time to stalk people's luggage, they are too busy paddling the ship to the next port! Lol lol :) :)........ Dang, i was being "naughty" again! Sorry! :)

lmbo!

They should have made arrangements to get the bags to the cabin.

I really think they would do this, if you asked. Most people are anxious to have their luggage, so probably wouldn't want to wait for someone to deliver it.

They should have made arrangements to get the bags to the cabin....

Perhaps it should have been offered but as I said a few pages back, OP (and others to whom this happens) was probably just glad to see his bag. It was after 7 pm as he states in the original post, and he "schlepped" his bag because he wanted it immediately. This added more alleged insult to his alleged injury, IMO. :p

The rhyme is very true. The simple reason is that as we drink we get less inhibited, so if you get buzzed off beer and then think drinking shots is a good idea you better get ready for a bad hangover or worse. OTOH is you switch to beer later you can't get yourself in too much trouble.

Back to the original topic, the real villains here are the liquor smugglers. Next time someone asks "why do you care if I smuggle liquor?" here's your answer.

Going for 10 pages!

Any beverage that has alcohol in it is the same....Alcohol....the only difference is the alcohol content.

I like the normal common the best.....I consider all alcohol products the same.

I would also suggest you do some research on how Liquor and wine are produced as not all produces are created equally.

Please explain the normal common as I feel it distracts from your opinion and is meant to inflame.

Archived