Jamaica - Warning for GLBT Cruisers

JennN

Hello everyone,

Here is what I look at before going on a cruise and try to avoid the places where LGBT rights are baffled. 

(Scroll down to the charts) 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_the_Americas

Prepare to be surprised with some of the information. You will see a lot more  than ✔️.

You can also have the same chart for Europe and pretty much anywhere around the world. Just do a search LGBT rights in Europe... etc. 

Let me know your thoughts. 

Thanks 

Edited by lefinmi

There are 9 countries in the Caribbean area that  have laws that make LGBT behaviour/relationships, etc. illegal. These are Antigua, Barbados, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, and Saint Vincent/Grenadines. The laws are often remnants of their colonial histories but can have real life impacts today. Many of these nations are ports on cruise itineraries sadly. There is some effort on some of these islands to reverse the laws so hopefully the list is getting shorter.

Harassment against LGBT people is everywhere including countries  where these are legal protections. Laws don't change peoples' stupidity so we all need to be vigilant for safety. Stupidity is a human condition and I am more concerned with institutionalized bigotry. We don't get get off the ship in countries where being LGBT is not welcomed or has been made illegal.

For people who like to travel this can create dilemmas concerning whether to visit or not. I think that a person's civil and human rights is a higher priority than visiting.

• Like 2

I so agree with you on this.  It is something I always think about carefully before choosing a holiday destination - be it a land holiday or cruise.  Warm-weather destinations from the UK in winter are few and far between but I choose not to cruise in the Caribbean or Middle East due to these issues.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...