Antiqua . . . ?

ladycaveat

I just booked a cruise to the Eastern Caribbean and I have to admit . . . after one cruise to the Southern Caribbean and two to the Western Caribbean . . . I know nothing about the Ports in the Eastern Caribbean. Antiqua is one of the Ports we will stopping at and I haven't a clue what to do . . . as in what sort of excursion to book. I would so like someone who has been to Antiqua to let me know what one should do . . . not miss . . . while in Port.

A little bit about Antigua:

Tons of beachs - big and small

Some interesting historic sites including Nelson's Dockyard (located on one of the prettiest harbours in the Caribbean - English harbout), Shirley Heights - and Dow's Hill and the blockhouse - great views of the island, the ocean and English harbour

I highly recommend a taxi tour with Lawrence - website:

http://www.lawrenceofantigua

The things listed by others are the the best things to do there. Getting hooked up with Lawrence will make your first trip to Antigua enjoyable. He will take you to the Dockyard and the beach. Or if you have something specail you like to see. He will take you there too. You just need to arrange it with him.

Now Lawrence will be in the State visting me during the month of July. He should be back in Antigua the middle of Aug. So I hope you have booked you cruise later. At the moment they are having lots of rain there.

My hightlight going to Antigua besided visting Lawrence is a Steel Drum (Pan) little factory run by Veron Henry. I have been trying to get Lawrence hooked up with Veron Henry to show how the Drums (Pans) are made. It's not much of a place but is neat to see where this Caribbean music comes from. Taking a 55 gal steel drum and making it into a musical instrument.

We did a tour similar to Eli's with antigua paddles becuase it was 1/2 the price. A very nice excursion. You do a 1 hour kayak ride with beautiful scenery. They take you to bird island, views from the top are great. Then you snorkle there and the day we went the snorkeling wasn't that great. So we just hung on teh beach. Then back at paddles they give you snacks and rum drinks before taking you back to the ship.

We did a tour similar to Eli's with antigua paddles becuase it was 1/2 the price. A very nice excursion. You do a 1 hour kayak ride with beautiful scenery. They take you to bird island, views from the top are great. Then you snorkle there and the day we went the snorkeling wasn't that great. So we just hung on teh beach. Then back at paddles they give you snacks and rum drinks before taking you back to the ship.

While I'm sure you enjoyed your day with Paddles, and we've read only good things about people's experiences on that tour, it really isn't similar to Eli's tour at all. Eli's tour is a full day, with several different stops, more than one snorkeling stop, multiple activities throughout the day and a full, home-made lunch. Using a powerboat enables him to cover much more ground than one hour in a kayak, and the personal commentary you get for Eli and his crew (not possible in kayaks, where everyone is spread out) really enhance the tour. It may be more expensive, but in our book, it's worth every time.

HI

If you like the ocean, snorkeling, wildlife and exhilarating adventure.

I highly recommend either the snorkel seafari or the circumnavigation seafari which I did with them.

the circumanvigation seafari was more wild whilst the snorkel was more for everyone.

check them out at http://www.antiguaseafaris.com

potatofarmer

While I'm sure you enjoyed your day with Paddles, and we've read only good things about people's experiences on that tour, it really isn't similar to Eli's tour at all. Eli's tour is a full day, with several different stops, more than one snorkeling stop, multiple activities throughout the day and a full, home-made lunch. Using a powerboat enables him to cover much more ground than one hour in a kayak, and the personal commentary you get for Eli and his crew (not possible in kayaks, where everyone is spread out) really enhance the tour. It may be more expensive, but in our book, it's worth every time.

Sorry I wasn't clear, after the kayaking we went in a motor boat tour too. But, I do remember the main reason I decided not to do Eli's was becuase we get so much food on the ship I didn't need to pay for lunch. If I was staying on Antigua then that would be a different story.

HI

If you like the ocean, snorkeling, wildlife and exhilarating adventure.

I highly recommend either the snorkel seafari or the circumnavigation seafari which I did with them.

the circumanvigation seafari was more wild whilst the snorkel was more for everyone.

check them out at www.antiguaseafaris.com

potatofarmer

Hello,

I clicked on the website and I only saw one tour available, "The Antigua Eco Adventure." Are there two seperate tours offered by this company? Do you know what the cost and differences are for each? Also, has anyone experienced both Eli's and Seafaris' tours? If so, how do they compare? Thanks...

• 3 weeks later...
Hello,

I clicked on the website and I only saw one tour available, "The Antigua Eco Adventure." Are there two seperate tours offered by this company? Do you know what the cost and differences are for each? Also, has anyone experienced both Eli's and Seafaris' tours? If so, how do they compare? Thanks...

Haven't done Seafari's but we've done Eli's tour multiple times (and will see him again this upcoming January). He's now got 2 tours, his original Eco Tour and a circumnavigate tour (called the Xtreme tour, in a high speed power boat), which includes the stingrays and English Harbor. Both tours are described on his website, www.adventureantigua.com. We're still trying to figure out which one we're going to do :D

You ever notice if someone says anything that is even remotely not glowing about Eli's tour people go crazy?

I assume you're referring to me? I'm not sure why you said that I am going crazy, though; I just said that I had experience with Eli's tour, but not with Seafari, and pointed the questioner to more info on Eli's tour. However, most of us who have done Eli's tour tend to be pretty loyal - he and his staff are great people who provide a stellar product. And there's a personal connection with Eli and his crew that doesn't necessarily form on other excursions we've been on over the years.

I have to say that I have read both postings on Antigua and stingray, and maybe I was luckybut on both trips that I did with Antigfua Seafaris I saw southern stingrays in the wild.

On the circumnavigation it was at the North Sound,in about 15 feet of water and on the cades reef snorkel it was snorkelling on the reef in 10 feet they came around the fish food for the yellow tail snappers.

I personally preferto swim withtem in the wild.

both these trips only cost me 70 dollars with a 15 % discount if I booked online.

I found it extremely good value for money.

Keep up the good work Pickle

see you next year,

Potatofarmer

I just returned from Antigua where I found Paddles Kayak eco tour. The guides were knowledgeable and had a good sense of humor. They gave us much information about local culture and island ecology. The scenery was beautiful, peaceful, and pristine. It included snorkeling and a short hike that took us to an overlook with a breath taking view. When we returned to the clubhouse, warm rose water foot baths awaited us as well as a light lunch. Wonderful time for all ages. Met interesting people and made nice memories. A unique, "must do" experience if you visit Antigua.

Sorry Erniesband! I didn't mean just you. I had been reading other posts on here looking for something to do and some woman had said Eli's tour was not for her and people ripped her a new one. It was just in general. I've also been on Eli's tour and thought it was nice. I have never seen a tour so protected by posters I guess.

Sorry Erniesband! I didn't mean just you. I had been reading other posts on here looking for something to do and some woman had said Eli's tour was not for her and people ripped her a new one. It was just in general. I've also been on Eli's tour and thought it was nice. I have never seen a tour so protected by posters I guess.

This is actually Jodi, Ernie's wife (I was the one who posted earlier, by the way). I guess we really are a pretty loyal bunch. I wouldn't criticize anyone who found Eli's tour wasn't their cup of tea - no tour is for anyone, but I do believe (especially if you're into planning your own excursions) that you're responsible for doing all the research you can and educating yourself about what you're getting into. There's certainly enough information out there, and people on these boards are always willing to answer questions. And I've seen people ask about the boat's ladders, what options are there for non-snorkelers, etc. We've done a couple of tours we've not been happy with in retrospect, but we've given balanced accounts of them, or simply not posted about them, rather than telling others that we were misled about what we were getting into. The one time we actually were presented with a situation that was different than what we anticipated, we could have said forget it when we saw the boat (it wasn't the power boat advertised, but a fishing vessel), but chose to go anyhow. Our choice - not something I'm going to complain about in retrospect.

I am debating between Eli's tours, any advise? I haven't been to Antiqua. I was told that the boat that goes to Barbuda from another vendor, is not doing that trip now. We will be on the Jewel of the Seas, departing Fort Lauderdale on December 3rd. Any help would be appreciated. I have been on a wild Zodiac ride on the Napali Coast off of Kauai - had a blast.

Karen

We haven't been on the new tour Eli has yet. We'll be seeing him in January when we're on the Serenade. According to info on his website looks like if you've never been to Antigua and like to snorkle the Eco-Tour ( his original one ) would be the one to do. Probably more history and info about Antigua, a slower pace, and more variety in stops than the new tour. The new tour seems to be more adventurous, high speed on the water, 2 snorkling stops and Nelson's Dockyard.

For a first timer I'd recommend the original Eco-Tour. You can always do what we do, book another cruise for next year and do the other tour when you come back to Antigua :D .

ernie

Thanks erniesband - you live in my home town. They probably came up with the second tour for the few people that complained about the original one being too long and too tame. Will give it some thought,

Karen

I have both Seafaris and Eli book marked and still can't decide which one to take. I like the idea of seeing as much as we can with a variety, since my DH is not a sit on the beach in the sun kind of guy. It looks like I could do that and he could do something else even on the same tour. Thanks for everyone's in put, I have plenty of time to make a decision or do I? From past experience how early do I need to book these tours? :confused:

• 4 weeks later...

Is it possible to get an island tour from the pier. We've been to Antigua several years ago and don't want a beach or snorkeling tour. We're not interested in a full day tour. Any suggestions?

Joan

• 1 month later...

We'll be down in Antigua in February and I really like to book the tours ahead and keep them more personal than the Ship tours. However, there are 6 of us, from 16 yrs to 'don't ask', and no one likes snorkling. Is there anything to do while others are snorkling, or are we best off choosing another tour?` If another tour is recommended, any recommendations?

Archived