Antiqua . . . ?

ladycaveat

We'll be down in Antigua in February and I really like to book the tours ahead and keep them more personal than the Ship tours. However, there are 6 of us, from 16 yrs to 'don't ask', and no one likes snorkling. Is there anything to do while others are snorkling, or are we best off choosing another tour?` If another tour is recommended, any recommendations?

This is actually Jodi, Ernie's wife (I was the one who posted earlier, by the way). I guess we really are a pretty loyal bunch. I wouldn't criticize anyone who found Eli's tour wasn't their cup of tea - no tour is for anyone, but I do believe (especially if you're into planning your own excursions) that you're responsible for doing all the research you can and educating yourself about what you're getting into. There's certainly enough information out there, and people on these boards are always willing to answer questions. And I've seen people ask about the boat's ladders, what options are there for non-snorkelers, etc. We've done a couple of tours we've not been happy with in retrospect, but we've given balanced accounts of them, or simply not posted about them, rather than telling others that we were misled about what we were getting into. The one time we actually were presented with a situation that was different than what we anticipated, we could have said forget it when we saw the boat (it wasn't the power boat advertised, but a fishing vessel), but chose to go anyhow. Our choice - not something I'm going to complain about in retrospect.

I certainly agree with the idea of educating yourself, even if you're just doing a cruiseling excursion. However, I think it's important to give your opinions of the not-so-good as well as the great experiences. It gives everyone a heads up. I would not want to see any bashing, but I would appreciate knowing that something I booked, because the recommended ones were unavailable, had problems. I might examine it even more closely. Granted, anyone can have a bad day --- tour guides and tourists alike --- but it seems that most of the people who post frequently here make every attempt to be fair and accurate.

Archived