Traveling Internationally With Prescription Meds

Von2cruz

According to Air New Zealand information on their website they say to have prescription meds in the original bottles with name etc. We are both on several prescription meds and unfortunately some of the bottles are large because we get a 90 day supply at a time . Has anyone had problems putting them in those weekly med containers instead of the original bottles when going through checkpoints ? We have not while traveling in the US , but wondered about it for international travel. Please share if you have any advice. These are not controlled medications such as narcotics.

We used to get our 90 day prescriptions from CVS Caremark but now we go to our local CVS Pharmacy for our 90 day prescriptions.. Each prescription from either Caremark or the local pharmacy, has had an extra peel off label attached to the "patient prescription information" sheet, which includes the name of the patient, name of the pill, Dr's name & the RX Number...

I peel off that small stick-on label from this information sheet & stick it on much smaller prescription bottles...In addition we take the "patient prescription information" sheet which gives the instructions, side effects, precautions etc. with us on our cruises..Have never had a problem..While on board I put the pills in the weekly medication containers..Have never had a problem..

Hope you enjoy your cruise..:)Betty

Does the advice to take medications in their original bottles apply to domestic travel also or just international? Just curious. I have taken our medications in "day of the week" containers and then printed off the list of prescriptions from the internet for me, and had my DH get a printed list from the VA for him. Have not had any trouble so far, but do not want to have any in the future.

Does the advice to take medications in their original bottles apply to domestic travel also or just international? Just curious. I have taken our medications in "day of the week" containers and then printed off the list of prescriptions from the internet for me, and had my DH get a printed list from the VA for him. Have not had any trouble so far, but do not want to have any in the future.

Does anyone know if any of this applies to domestic, or just international travel? Thanks.

Does anyone know if any of this applies to domestic, or just international travel? Thanks.

Since medications are a concern of Customs, not TSA, it should not be a problem with domestic flying.

But if you read the entire thread you saw where some TSA agents have been seen to have tossed pills that are not in original containers.

Personally, I don't want to take a chance with my meds. I need them to live.

We travel by air a lot for both business and pleasure domestically and have never ever been asked about our meds nor had our bags checked for them. Over the years we've used everything from baggies to daily pill trays to the original script containers. I suppose the safest thing would be the original script containers and we'll probably stick with those but I'm really not concerned about domestic travel. Interestingly we traveled through six airports last year for our Med cruise, so obviously International travel, and only had Mrs. K's carry on checked once in Heathrow because of her electronics not meds.

Archived