Travel Insurance:Should I go through Carnival or elsewhere?

ShanteS

Hey all! This will be my first cruise bothering with cruise/travel insurance, I'll be traveling with my daughter and thought it a good idea to have. As of right now I signed up for travellers insurance through Carnival but I saw a post here about booking through a private company. What are the benefits of going through a private company versus Carnival? Both my daughter and I are healthy so now issues or pre-existing conditions. I just want it just in case because with a toddler anything can happen. So any help and advice on this topic is greatly appreciated. Any companies you recommend? Any companies you stay away from because of bad experience? How much is the insurance with a private company? Thanks in advance for any help!

Hey all! This will be my first cruise bothering with cruise/travel insurance, I'll be traveling with my daughter and thought it a good idea to have. As of right now I signed up for travellers insurance through Carnival but I saw a post here about booking through a private company. What are the benefits of going through a private company versus Carnival? Both my daughter and I are healthy so now issues or pre-existing conditions. I just want it just in case because with a toddler anything can happen. So any help and advice on this topic is greatly appreciated. Any companies you recommend? Any companies you stay away from because of bad experience? How much is the insurance with a private company? Thanks in advance for any help!

The savings AND the value are better when going independent. I got 4 times more insurance at 2/3s the cost and could have done better. A lot of choices with insuremytrip.com.

Especially if you're "younger" you can normally get higher coverages and lower premiums thru so-called 3rd party insurers like TravelInsured, TravelEx, CSA, etc. You might want to start with Policies that insure kids for free with insured adult, as offered by TravelInsured (available via USAA if you're a member). Depending when you're traveliong, insurers like CSA include ccancellation coverage for things like (unexpectedly) extended School year. ken

Like previous poster mentioned, going through a 3rd party can be cheaper with the exception of older people. My parents for example get a better deal going through Carnival for their insurance (they are in their late 60s/early70s). For myself (mid 30s) I go through Travelguard. For my next sailing i paid 30$ for myself and my daughter's coverage was free. Their coverage is also better.

I always buy insurance (and my family laughs at me :o - but when you need it...!) and have usually done it through insuremytrip, but now that the big 6-0 is behind me, I find that I can sometimes get a better price through the ship. For our Glory sailing to Canada, it was better through CCL for me. For the younger folk, though, shopping around is a good idea.

Our TA had an outside company she always deals with. The proces appear to be lower and the benefits may be better. If I can get the info I will share it on this thread.

Archived