What would you do?

If you were on a cruise and had only 2 or 3 days left on your itinerary, what would you do if you got word that a family member has passed away? Would you finish out the cruise or fly back from the current port? (you would still make the funeral if you finished the cruise) Would it matter your relationship to the individual, ie. Aunt Mary who you hadn't seen in awhile or Grandma that was close to you.

I've been in a not-quite-the-same situation twice:

We were in Florida, and my elderly grandfather died (very expected) on the next to last day of our vacation. My mother made the decision not to call us. It was the right choice. We were already planning to drive home the next day. We could've left perhaps 12 hours earlier, and instead of a pleasant trip home, we would've returned home miserable and on edge. My mom planned the funeral for the day after we returned home. Nothing would have been ideal in this situation, but this was the best of the bad choices.

Similarly, we had taken our nieces on a cruise, and on the day we disembarked, we got into the car, got onto the interstate and called their parents to tell them we were safely on the way home . . . Instead of saying they couldn't wait to see their girls and were excited to hear their stories, my sister-in-law made me promise to say nothing . . . And she told me that the girls' grandfather had died the night before. She wanted to tell the girls herself once they were home in their own world, so i passed a secret note to my husband telling him what i knew . . . But our nieces made the drive home in blissful ignorance, enjoying a few more hours with their cousins and no concerns. Again, there's no good way to learn that you've lost someone you love, but this was the best of the bad choices.

Death, and the way we handle it. Just weird.

I look at it this way, should I croak, not a big deal, just cremate me, put me in a jar, and when everyone would like to get together to have a good time remembering me and convenient for all, do it then.

I would hate if any of my loved ones were to disrupt a cruise because I was so inconsiderate to kick the bucket.

Archived