Toulon to Aix-en-Provence-How to DIY?

kadey

My Letterman kind of answer would be that you should find a cruise that stops at Marseille rather then Toulon. But from Toulon to Aix is about 55 miles so if you decide to take a taxi you will need to get another mortgage on your home to pay the fare. You could do it by train from Toulon, but this means taking the train to Marseille (this takes about 45 min) and then taking another train to Aix (another 40 min). Probably the most economical way would be to simply rent a car for the day which usually costs about 100 Euros (maybe less) and just drive yourself. It takes about 1 hour each way and, if you can share with another couple, your cost per person will be no more then 25 Euros.

We have long speculated why some cruise lines have decided to call at Toulon instead of nearby Marseille. It finally occurred to us that perhaps the cruise lines find they can sell a lot more of their overpriced excursions in Toulon...and this generates profits. When in Marseille, it is relatively easy to use public transportation (train or bus) but Toulon is simply more remote from most places visited by tourists.

Hank

Fortunately, I like Letterman's humor and I had an extra laugh at your comment since I already found a new ship/itinerary this week! I was scheduled to be on the first Carnival Sunshine cruise out of Venice. I had planned the trip for about 6 months and now have 3 weeks to redo ports or plan new ones.

Thank you for your answer.I didn't realize it was so far way. I may have DH and I take the ship excursion there and leave the group to do the day on our own, then meet the bus for the ride back to the port!-Kade

We just had a snack there. Eating in a nice place can add at least another hour. There were both open air markets and a lot of shops (selling a lot of lavendar). We were there on a Sunday so some shops were closed. We did go to three markets and there were artists displaying their works on the main street.

Is it worth doing this excursion/town or is Toulon typical provincial french town with enough to do for a day?

Hi

Toulon is not your typical provincial french town it is alot larger as it is the main naval port for the french fleet in the med

It would be worth finding out if you are docking in Toulon or LA SEYNE-SUR-MER as this is across the bay from Toulon which involves catching a bus or small ferry to Toulon

heres two informative links

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1229876&highlight=la+seyne-sur-mer

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1226994&highlight=la+seyne-sur-mer

hope these help

Damon

Thank you all for taking the time to respond!

Mskaufman,your pictures are beautiful! I'm thinking we may take the ships excursion there and wander on our own and meet them at the end! If I do that I think it will give me an hour or so to see Toulon at the end. Thank you again!

Archived