price drop confusion...

Mostradamus

i'm not entirely sure how price drops work and how you get OBC... can someone explain this to me? i'm past final payment, but i see the current price of my cruise is over $200 lower pp because of these sales. is there anything i can get, orr? i'm such a newbie:(

i'm not entirely sure how price drops work and how you get OBC... can someone explain this to me? i'm past final payment, but i see the current price of my cruise is over $200 lower pp because of these sales. is there anything i can get, orr? i'm such a newbie:(

Welcome to CC (and to Carnival & cruising)! :)

It all comes down to what rate type you booked - Early Saves, Past Guest, Fun Saver, Fun Select, More the Merrier sale, Friends & Family sale, etc., etc.

Early Saver is the only one that offers price protection in the form of OBC and/or upgrades once you are beyond the final payment deadline.

What rate type did you book?

How did you book - online at Carnival.com, with a Travel Agent, called the Carnival 800 #, or through a Carnival Personal Vacation Planner (PVP)?

As fofita said, it has everything to do with what rate you booked. If you booked Early Saver, you're eligible for price drops after final payment in the form of OBC. No other rates are eligible for OBC after final payment. Some people have been successful getting upgrades when the price has dropped after final payment but others haven't. If you booked with a TA or PVP give them a call and see if there's anything they can do. If you booked online, call the 800 number.

i booked online as Early Saver. so what do i do, just call them and ask what they can do since the price is so much lower?:confused:

No. Go to their website and find their "price protection" form. Fill it out completely and submit. Take a screen shot of the the lower rate you see for your protection. They're very busy but you shoudl see your OBC within a few days. Just check your booking on the website.

Happy cruising!

i booked online as Early Saver. so what do i do, just call them and ask what they can do since the price is so much lower?:confused:

1) First and very important step - take a screenshot of the price you're seeing on fareviewer for your caterogy.... for back-up (in case the rate changes by the time an agent gets to your request).

2) Then, you can complete the price protection form online

http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/requestforms/cclearlysaverform.aspx

OR, you can call the 800# and they will help you...

However, as you may have read here on CC, there is a VERY HIGH call volume due to the cancellations of additional Triumph/Sunshine sailings and the Friends & Family sale.

Perfect. Then you're eligible for price drops up until two days before you sail. :D There's no need to call (and right now, I understand hold times are about 90 minutes, so I wouldn't be calling!), just fill out the price protection form here:

My last price drop took about 7 days to get applied and though you usually receive an email confirmation, I didn't get one this time. But, you can check your cruise documents online and see if it's been applied.

As alligirl said, take a screenshot (I've never ever needed one, but I always take them) so if there's a question later about the price drop, you have proof.

1) First and very important step - take a screenshot of the price you're seeing on fareviewer for your caterogy.... for back-up (in case the rate changes by the time an agent gets to your request).

2) Then, you can complete the price protection form online

However, as you may have read here on CC, there is a VERY HIGH call volume due to the cancellations of additional Triumph/Sunshine sailings and the Friends & Family sale.

We were typing at the same time. LOL. Great minds... ;)

1)

Just in case anyone finds the info helpful, I wanted to say that I have called twice, and I have had less than 15 minute wait times, but I have called very early morning around 8am.

I dont know if I did something wrong or just ended up with Carnival csr's who werent all that helpful, but both times I called re: Early Saver / OBC, I was told that it couldnt not be handled/processed over the phone and I needed to submit the form online. I did that, and only received $30 of the $140 I was suppossed to receive so idk, I have the screen shot of the price so I will try to call back if its not corrected in a day or two I guess.

I did inquire about the cost to upgrade our room by paying the difference between my original fare and a balcony with the sale price, and they would be able to process that over the phone haha ;)

I'm a frst time cruiser. i took the early saver rate and still didn't get any OBC. I'm very dissapoined :( They said because i'm not a VIPF.

Yeah, because the rate you're trying to match to is for Past Guests. I had a co-worker that was denied for that very reason, and she was ready to throw in the towel; I replied back for her and provided her PG# and it was approved.

I don't know why they weren't seeing her number, but I do know for the online account she doesn't have her number linked to her.

Just in case anyone finds the info helpful, I wanted to say that I have called twice, and I have had less than 15 minute wait times, but I have called very early morning around 8am.

I dont know if I did something wrong or just ended up with Carnival csr's who werent all that helpful, but both times I called re: Early Saver / OBC, I was told that it couldnt not be handled/processed over the phone and I needed to submit the form online. I did that, and only received $30 of the $140 I was suppossed to receive so idk, I have the screen shot of the price so I will try to call back if its not corrected in a day or two I guess.

I did inquire about the cost to upgrade our room by paying the difference between my original fare and a balcony with the sale price, and they would be able to process that over the phone haha ;)

I reply to the email and ask them why you didn't get the entire amount and I'd attach the screenshot to the email.

I'm a frst time cruiser. i took the early saver rate and still didn't get any OBC. I'm very dissapoined :( They said because i'm not a VIPF.

What rate were you trying to match again? If it's a rate you qualified for, then I would be asking questions. If it's a past guest rate, then you don't qualify for it. I've booked ES a few times and received OBC on only two cruises. There's no guaranty--you don't always get it, it's a chance you take.

What rate were you trying to match again? If it's a rate you qualified for, then I would be asking questions. If it's a past guest rate, then you don't qualify for it. I've booked ES a few times and received OBC on only two cruises. There's no guaranty--you don't always get it, it's a chance you take.

I guess i'm not qualified for the rate as i'm not a past guest? than anyway for the info. But for me it's kind of misleading. :confused:

how do you know what type of fare you booked? i also just tried to upgrade as prices have dropped and they are refusing to do it without hundreds of $$ more and then wont give me my obc. i have checked all paperwork and nowhere does it say what fare i paid for?

I guess i'm not qualified for the rate as i'm not a past guest? than anyway for the info. But for me it's kind of misleading. :confused:

Correct, if you're not a past guest then you don't qualify for the past guest rate. I don't understand why that's misleading though... With Early Saver you can price match against rates you qualify for.

how do you know what type of fare you booked? i also just tried to upgrade as prices have dropped and they are refusing to do it without hundreds of $$ more and then wont give me my obc. i have checked all paperwork and nowhere does it say what fare i paid for?

I know I booked Early Saver simply because I booked my cruise online and that's the rate I selected. It doesn't say that anywhere on my documents. If you don't jow what fare you booked, talk with whomver you booked with to find out.

Well its not just 'category' its the category within the category (ie Balcouny category + 8D). I can pull a balcony for 1336 but it is an 8B. As I am 8D and 8D is sold out, I am getting rejected for any price match so that could be where the difference is. My TA is telling me the same. So now I am really peeved at Carnival - this was our first cruise and I booked early saver thinking it was based on balcony prices. I originally booked an 8B but moved up to 8D as it was only $20 more at the time. That has now cost me $500 based on 8B pricing since that category has dropped so much!

I'd like to ask a question. The two Carnival Cruises I booked were not early saver. I was able to upgrade on the first one after a substantial decrease in prices so I upgraded from ocean view to balcony. The cruise I have scheduled for April 20 has dropped another $100 (as past guest) and I could not get an OBC which I now understand why as I had booked it as past guest and not early saver. So on future cruises would it be best to book early saver and maybe in an ocean view category and then upgrade to a balcony when the price dropped? I really don't want to pay a lot of upfront money for OBC since we don't drink or buy stuff and book cruises from the port and I am not sure if you get it back if you don't use it. But here is where I get confused - could I only do it once if I booked as a past guest the second time? In other words if you originally book early saver - if you change your category does that mean you are no longer eligible for OBC if there is another price drop?

Well its not just 'category' its the category within the category (ie Balcouny category + 8D). I can pull a balcony for 1336 but it is an 8B. As I am 8D and 8D is sold out, I am getting rejected for any price match so that could be where the difference is. My TA is telling me the same. So now I am really peeved at Carnival - this was our first cruise and I booked early saver thinking it was based on balcony prices. I originally booked an 8B but moved up to 8D as it was only $20 more at the time. That has now cost me $500 based on 8B pricing since that category has dropped so much!

Sorry that it's worked out that way for you. It's important to understand what you're booking. 8D is your category (not balcony). ES is always a gamble. Sometimes you'll get price drops and sometimes you won't. Right now a lot of people are getting them because of all the sales, which I think are because of all the problems Carnival has had of late. I've never experienced price drops like this before at all. If you category (8D) is sold out, you can price match against 8E and above...

I'd like to ask a question. The two Carnival Cruises I booked were not early saver. I was able to upgrade on the first one after a substantial decrease in prices so I upgraded from ocean view to balcony. The cruise I have scheduled for April 20 has dropped another $100 (as past guest) and I could not get an OBC which I now understand why as I had booked it as past guest and not early saver. So on future cruises would it be best to book early saver and maybe in an ocean view category and then upgrade to a balcony when the price dropped? I really don't want to pay a lot of upfront money for OBC since we don't drink or buy stuff and book cruises from the port and I am not sure if you get it back if you don't use it. But here is where I get confused - could I only do it once if I booked as a past guest the second time? In other words if you originally book early saver - if you change your category does that mean you are no longer eligible for OBC if there is another price drop?

No one can tell you with any certainty whether it's best to book ES or not (you need to be comfortable with the restrictions and everyone's comfort level is different) and whether you should book Ocean View in hopes prices will drop enough to get a balcony because no one knows if that will happen. If I want a balcony, I book a balcony--I would never expect prices to drop enough that I would be upgraded. ES is a gamble--sometimes you get price drops and sometimes you don't. It just all depends...

If you book Early Saver, you're always Early Saver. Just because you upgrade to another category or you price match against a different fare, you don't change the fare you booked at--you're still ES and can take advantage of price drops until 2 days before sailing.

Sorry that it's worked out that way for you. It's important to understand what you're booking. 8D is your category (not balcony). ES is always a gamble. Sometimes you'll get price drops and sometimes you won't. Right now a lot of people are getting them because of all the sales, which I think are because of all the problems Carnival has had of late. I've never experienced price drops like this before at all. If you category (8D) is sold out, you can price match against 8E and above...

Thanks - for my cruise only 8A and 8B are showing as available. Almost willing to offer $100 more and move to GS but since I booked through a TA, Carnival won't even talk to me about it. I just find all this very strange - will definitely think harder in future about all this and how I did it (and Carnival)...lessons learned.

Archived