Heating Pad

Garn

I saw this was asked a little more than a year ago, but with the new crackdown on power strips I thought I should ask again.

My mom just mentioned that she uses a heating pad for her arthritis, and asked me if there would be any problem on the ship. I told her I'd ask, so, here I am asking.

It sounded like some were saying that it could only be plugged in using the vanity outlet- but if they are banning extension cords, that could be a problem.

It also seems like a heating pad in your checked bag gets you sent to the naughty room, so would you recommend keeping it in a carry on (which will freak out TSA), or trying to transfer it from the checked to the carryon before we board?

If it matters, we'll be in a balcony on the Adventure.

Thanks!

it may have been me, alittle over a yr ago..........

what i did was got my dr. to write me a note on a prescription pad. took a heating pad and extension cord. packed in my carryon....no questions ever asked.

i would do the same again if i needed one.

My daughter has arthritis too. She uses the Thermacare brand heating wraps. They are self heating and have no need for a plug. They actually stick on and last about 10 hours. Sometimes she puts one on her back to go to school when her back is hurting. Maybe another option for your mom if the heating pads don't work out.

This reminds me that I need to look into ice packs for my daughter four our upcoming cruise. She likes to use ice on her hips and knees.

My daughter has arthritis too. She uses the Thermacare brand heating wraps. They are self heating and have no need for a plug. They actually stick on and last about 10 hours. Sometimes she puts one on her back to go to school when her back is hurting. Maybe another option for your mom if the heating pads don't work out.

This reminds me that I need to look into ice packs for my daughter four our upcoming cruise. She likes to use ice on her hips and knees.

My mom uses those for when we are out and about. But it would be too pricey for lasting her all night through every night of a 7 day cruise. Some heat in them for 10 hours, but full heat in my experience only lasts around 4-5 hours.

I fell asleep with a Thermacare on my back and woke up with burns so be careful with them.

Laura

I had sent an e-mail to RCCL asking about C Pap and Heating Pad..Here is their reply regarding the heating pad I received this morning. I am bringing the e-mail with me on the cruise..

"You may bring a heating pad onboard as long as it has an automatic off switch. It is not necessary to bring a doctor's note. “

Laura

I have taken one on every cruise I have I have been on but I take care of it after I wake up and place in closet and don't get it back out till night time. I also bring a short cord since usually the plugs are all away across the stateroom near tv.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk please excuse typographical errors

I just emailed special needs. I bring a heating pad they are providing me with the extension cord. The heating pad must be the kind with an automatic shut off. Mine has the timer and shuts off after the allotted time.

They said no doctors note is needed as long as they were notified.

I had sent an e-mail to RCCL asking about C Pap and Heating Pad..Here is their reply regarding the heating pad I received this morning. I am bringing the e-mail with me on the cruise..

"You may bring a heating pad onboard as long as it has an automatic off switch. It is not necessary to bring a doctor's note. “

Laura

We were told the same thing today when we called to make sure about the heating pad that my mom needs. As long as it has auto-shut-off, it will be fine.

Laura

We have brought my husband's C-PAP on every cruise we have been on. Never a problem. We have the cruise line provide the extension cord by going to guest services on day one or asking the stateroom attendant. In the AM we unplug the extension cord and thrust it beneath the bed.

The only issue we have is at airport security. TSA is completely inconsistent with what they want you to do with it from airport to airport.

I was told by the Health Care respiratory therapist not to plug in my Cpap machine to an extension cord..only surge protector or into the outlet. I may need to call them Monday and ask about it.

I was told to take the unit out of the carry case and put it in the bucket that it is inconsistent with the TSA..

Laura

• 1 month later...

I'd find the original thread on this topic and post there, but honestly it is just too much trouble.

Before we went on our cruise, my mom had called the accessibility department and told them of her need for a heating pad due to her back problems. They said it would be no problem as long as it had auto-shut-off.

So we kept the box and packed it in the box to bring it on the ship. The box clearly said that it had auto-shut-off.

When going through security, they said they had to take it and we could get it after the cruise. We calmly explained that we had talked to the accessibility department about it. They said, well, we could talk to guest services once on-board, and maybe they could it back to us. This is actually a greatly shortened of a longer interaction, but the sum result was that we walked away with a little piece of paper instead of our heating pad.

We went to guest services the next day (lines the first day were more than we were interested in and mom wasn't in too much pain until the 2nd day). We explained again and gave them our little piece of paper. They called to where ever it is that holds everything and arranged to have it delivered to the safety officer for inspection. They said that assuming he approved it, then we'd get it back. By later in the day, the heating pad was delivered to the room.

Next time, I think we'll put it in the luggage to see if it's any easier that way. A trip to the naughty room certainly wouldn't be any more trouble than the way we did it this time.

I have a lower back problem myself and need heat for it a lot. I take ThermaCare. It straps right on my body and gives me 8-12 hours of heat. I'm not attached to a wall socket. I've also never had any problem cruising with them either.

Pamela

I have a lower back problem myself and need heat for it a lot. I take ThermaCare. It straps right on my body and gives me 8-12 hours of heat. I'm not attached to a wall socket. I've also never had any problem cruising with them either.

Pamela

We had thermacares as well. But it would cost us way too much to keep her supplied in enough thermacares for all her needs on a 7 day cruise.

She has problems with her whole back: sciatica (sp?), degenerative disc disease. It would take at least 3 theracares to cover what the 1 heating pad does.

I have taken a heating pad several times. I just pack it in my carry on suitcase. (don't want a trip to the naughty room because of it!) The one I have says right on the control that it has auto-shut off. I have never had a problem. Carry on is not even opened after going through x-ray.

So next time just try packing it.

It was packed in one of carry-ons. They saw it when it went through the x-ray machine.

We had taken it on previous cruises with no problems. I think they may have a new crackdown since the fires on other ships, not that any of those fires had anything to do with anyone's heating pad.

• 1 month later...

I took ice packs on our last cruise. I bought the kind that come 3 to a box and you break a ball in the inside and the bag gets cold. They worked really well and stayed cold for quite a while.

Archived