Ispeed VIP island hopping in Tortula?

Terryd444

Has anyone on cruise critic done this Oceania sponsored shore excursion at Tortula? Or talked to anyone who did it?

I am tempted as it seems to have air conditioned interior so I can stay out of the sun, I'm still yearning for a boat tour of the island and while this tour is pricey it is not the whole day so won't wear me out.

Could anyone who has done it please comment. How many people fit on the boat? It looks like it would be a smaller group size.....hoping.....

Thanks - Terry

I guess CC forum members really do love doing their own tours! 88 views later and no responses....so not what I'm used to from this group!

Well, I signed up for it. So I'll do my own review after next weekend - yeah!

Hoping its worth the money.

Cheers everyone

Terry

I will Benita. While pricey compared to joining a roll call organized tour, it will be worth it for me as I have some ongoing tedious health issues that are trying to impact my ability to have fun!

This way I will get peace of mind that I can get out of the sun, and not be out all day. I am doing Caribbean Hideaways on March 28th, Tortola just one stop. I have organized two ships tours and am joining two CC roll call tours, then doing St. Bart's on our own. It will be interesting to compare both tour types. I am expecting to be impressed on this one as it is an Oceania Choice tour, only one of two on this trip with that designation!

And this is our first ever cruise, can't believe it.......I'm working my bucket list as time is short....and I'm already in love with Oceania and CC.

Terry

• 9 months later...
I will Benita. While pricey compared to joining a roll call organized tour, it will be worth it for me as I have some ongoing tedious health issues that are trying to impact my ability to have fun!

This way I will get peace of mind that I can get out of the sun, and not be out all day. I am doing Caribbean Hideaways on March 28th, Tortola just one stop. I have organized two ships tours and am joining two CC roll call tours, then doing St. Bart's on our own. It will be interesting to compare both tour types. I am expecting to be impressed on this one as it is an Oceania Choice tour, only one of two on this trip with that designation!

And this is our first ever cruise, can't believe it.......I'm working my bucket list as time is short....and I'm already in love with Oceania and CC.

Terry

Hi Terry, Did you end up taking this VIP Island Hopping tour? I am considering it. Also, how was touring St. Barts on your own. We are thinking of renting a car there. Thanks, Kathy

Yes Kathy I did do this VIP tour! The boat is simply beautiful, very clean, new, powerful. They keep it immaculate, we all had to take our shoes off when boarding. The weather wasn't so great the day we went, very cloudy with drizzling gloomy rain some of the time. The boat is enclosed in the front and I was glad I sat up there instead of out in the open back...where everyone got wet! Nicer weather would have been different...the seats are very comfortable, nice bathroom, better views up by the Captain as the windows are a bit high for a short person like me. Only disappointment was not driving by Virgin Gorda, but the weather cased the change in itinerary.

As for St Bart's....well I loved it there. Expensive shops, loved just browsing all the nice things but of course that might not be for everyone. We did not rent a car, but just walked all around the harbor until we found the beach....I think it is shell beach. We had lunch there and just laid around for a while. I went swimming there, loved the water, gorgeous little cove. My husband was bored by then so he left and went back to the ship! I stayed at the beach for a couple of hours - then meandered back through the shops and town again back to the tender. It was a perfect day for me. We had spent other days on this cruise driving around in cars / minivans to see the islands...so I was happy this day to do a good bit of walking!

Hope this helps...

Enjoy your cruise! Feb 2d til my next one!

TerryD

Yes Kathy I did do this VIP tour! The boat is simply beautiful, very clean, new, powerful. They keep it immaculate, we all had to take our shoes off when boarding. The weather wasn't so great the day we went, very cloudy with drizzling gloomy rain some of the time. The boat is enclosed in the front and I was glad I sat up there instead of out in the open back...where everyone got wet!

As for St Bart's....well I loved it there. Expensive shops, loved just browsing all the nice things but of course that might not be for everyone. We did not rent a car, but just walked all around the harbor until we found the beach....I think it is shell beach. We had lunch there and just laid around for a while. I went swimming there, loved the water, gorgeous little cove.

Hope this helps...

Enjoy your cruise! Feb 2d til my next one!

TerryD

Extremely helpful! Nothing like a first-hand account before plunking this much money down. This is the only ship-sponsored excursion that I am considering.

Regarding St. Bart's, my husband sounds like yours when it comes to the beach. I could people-watch for hours while he gets bored. I rented a Mini-Cooper from Turbe so that will be fun for him.

Have a wonderful cruise! We had to cancel last March so I am REALLY looking forward to this trip. Thanks very much, Kathy

It was worth it for the stops it makes...my favorite was the Bitter End Yacht club where we saw some really swank yachts and there was even some reasonable shopping. Fast way to get around without being bumpy - I loved it! We did this and the Lobster Catamaran cruise sponsored by Oceania, then two other tours with roll call groups. It was a nice mix.

The Lobster Catamaran cruise was my absolute favorite, the beaches we stopped at for the swimming were just idyllic , and the lobster lunch was awesome. We were a bit put off on the return trip as the crew began sweeping the deck to clean and moving us all around to do so...bit of a bummer as everyone was laughing and joking by then. But no big deal....the only other problem on this cruise was the closing of one bathroom. However the food, views, swimming and gorgeous scenery more than made up for those annoyances. I would do both those tours again.

Terry

• 3 weeks later...

Just pulling away from Riviera, the back of the boat is open, and once they get out into open water a lovely plume appears behind the boat and gets everyone in this area wet. Great if you have good weather, but as you can see we had a rather unpredictable day with showers and sun. These pics are just from my iPhone, sorry about the quality. Still trying to figure out how to get my other good shots out of the MAC...

Terrye6e8utuj.jpg

We agree with you...St. Barts is THE BEST. There is absolutely no reason to go to Tortola which we have done, but THERE IS A GOOD REASON TO GO TO St. Barts. Just sitting by the dock and having bread and cheese in a little bistro is better than the whole cruise! I could have defected there!