Culinary Arts Class - Typical Class Experience

fgc15527

Hi,

We were on the Westerdam last week and particpated in the Culinary Arts Cooking Class that they offered. Based upon what I had read on Cruise Critic prior to our sailing I was expecting something different than what we experienced. I would appreciate if others that have taken these classes onboard HAL could tell me more about their experience.

Ex - Was instruction/demo given by chef and organizer, recipes - were they followed, did you cook as a group or just given a recipe to follow and you were on your own, did you watch chef cook meat (did you cook the meat), was food eaten prepared by class.

Thanks

Edited by fgc15527

I took mine a few years ago. There were about 12 of us and there were two or three who were assigned to a menu item. The chef spent some time with each group to get them started, and then we prepared our menu item. After we were done, we got to take it to the PG to eat. We were given the recipes, an apron, and had wine with our meal.

As I typed the above, I now recall reading here on CC that things have changed and now the chef prepares the entire meal (more like a private cooking demo) presumably because of noro. Was that your esperience?

Just saw your additional questions in your edit - we prepared the menu items kind of on our own but with the chef's advice. He didn't just leave us on our own. He was there the whole time (not for the eating part !)

Recipes were followed, we cooked it all. Some of us only got to stir or be the sous chef simply because there wasn't enough room at the cooktop for 12. It could get a little chaotic if we were all there!

The multiple times I've done it - there were a total of up to 12 people, we made a meal (usually 3 parts - a main, a side & dessert). It was hands on - 3-4 people made one of the 3 parts.

We enjoyed the meal after in the Pinnacle.

I have done it twice and the last time was the best. We only had 8 people and 3 of them were just wanting to watch and drink wine. My niece butchered and prepped all of cornish game hens. The chef showed her one and she was off. I prepared the Tiramisu since no one else wanted to. He had a recipe which we did really go not by. I do alot of dessert and pastry at home so I pretty much knew his techniques but was surprised to make pastry cream whipping the egg yolks rather than cooking over a double boiler. He was old school. We never measured any of the liquor put in the tiramisu just pour, mix, taste. He was a hoot and we had lots of fun. We had fun on the presentation side piping the potatos and standing up the hens. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

When I did it all 12 of us participated in the prep under the chef's supervision. It was a lot of fu, I learned a lot, and would do it again in a heartbeat. However, I can see with all the Noro precautions why participants may no longer in some cases actually handle the food. That would be disappointing.

We prepared a French Chicken Provencale plus salad and dessert. Absolutely delicious and I make it here at home very often.

Eurodam, last spring - class of 12 in the show kitchen in the Queen's Lounge. It was a lamb dish and bruschetta. We all received free aprons with the Culinary Arts Center logo on them. It took approximately 2.5 hours, but was very freestyle.

The chef (who was the same chef in the cooking demos) allowed us to do various tasks - chopping vegetables, making the sauce, stirring pots, etc. He cut the meat and did the plating. We could do as little or as much as we wanted.

Amusingly, the men ended up doing most of the cooking...

We had a class of 7 last week - three of which were a part of our travelling party. The entire class lasted less than 45 minutes. We divided our self into four groups and started chopping and following the recipes given.

I was expecting more of give and take with the chef and organizer and more of an interactive experience. Not just chopping and reading a recipe card.

Food prepared was not as it was presented in the menu. In my opinion short cuts were taken in order to finish more quickly and it was bland.

We never saw how the pork was cooked - they sent us to the Pinnacle to to start eating while they cooked and plated it.

I got the feeling they were rushing through the whole class.. I would have preferred to use my $30 toward a dinner in the Pinnicle.

Edited by fgc15527

I have taken several classes on the NA and Noordam. Each class and chef is different. Last fall on the Noodram, a new policy was just instituted by the USDA or FDA or some government agency that states no food prepared in a show kitchen can be consumed. They all lamented that it was a huge waste, but had to follow the new laws/rules. We worked in groups of 3-4 on 3-4 different recipes (typically a starter, main and side). After we got our meals in the oven, we went to the pinnacle and were served the same dishes that were prepped in the pinnacle kitchen by pinnacle staff (thus decreasing the noro risk). I would say the average class time is 60-90 minutes.

The success of the class often depends on the personality of the chef and fellow participants. One class was a total disaster, but the other seven have been enjoyable and educational.

Sorry your experience was not so. I would send your comments to HAL (ideally onboard to the party planner) so they can improve in the future. I did so after the first class on my last cruise and they went to great lengths to improve the remaining classes on that cruise. I was very impressed.

Edited by HALrunner

We had a class of 7 last week - three of which were a part of our travelling party. The entire class lasted less than 45 minutes. We divided our self into four groups and started chopping and following the recipes given.

I was expecting more of give and take with the chef and organizer and more of an interactive experience. Not just chopping and reading a recipe card.

Food prepared was not as it was presented in the menu. In my opinion short cuts were taken in order to finish more quickly and it was bland.

We never saw how the pork was cooked - they sent us to the Pinnacle to to start eating while they cooked and plated it.

I got the feeling they were rushing through the whole class.. I would have preferred to use my $30 toward a dinner in the Pinnicle.

Wow, I don't blame you for being disappointed! I would be, too. I agree with HALrunner; let HAL know about your disappointment. It won't help you now but it may help improve things for the future classes.

I can understand changes due to trying to contain noro but not what you described.

We are five star Mariners and now get this as a perk on cruises. In January, I thought we would have to sign up for this. when I asked the front desk, we were told they were no longer doing the classes.

So, we checked with the party planner and she said that as five star, we would receive an invitation. Upon further questioning, it seems that due to health and safety regs, they had to stop allowing passengers to prepare the food and then eat it. She also told us that due to the regs, they were trying to determine how to do it again on a regular basis.

That said, this occurred on a Collectors Voyage and we attended two by invitation. We both times prepared the same items from the Pinnacle menu with some assistance from the chef. As some were more adept at preparation and menu interpretation, both times most of the chef's time was spent with one group and the others were more or less on their own. And some sat and just watched.

We then proceeded to the Pinnacle to have lunch, however, it was not the lunch prepared by us, but we were able to order from the Pinnacle lunch menu due to us not being able to eat what we had prepared ourselves due to regs.

I was curious how they were going to work out this for those that actually sign up. It sounds as if they may have not come up with a very good solution quite yet. But then, as with everything, it may vary from ship to ship.

Just thought I'd share our experience and what we were told shortly after the original program was discontinued. So, they may have two programs, one for the five stars, and one for others who choose to sign up. I'm guessing it's a work in progress.:confused:

.... Last fall on the Noodram, a new policy was just instituted by the USDA or FDA or some government agency that states no food prepared in a show kitchen can be consumed. [end quote]

My Question: Since HAL is not registered in the US, why would a US agency be responsible for this? HAL trying to restrict noro and food-borne illness, yes. That makes sense, I guess. But blaming a U.S. agency with no power or right to regulate once you're at sea?

Or - perhaps - is HAL just doing everything it can to appease the American market, by doing what the USDA/FDA recommends?

Just asking......

We did eat all the food from the class.

Salad

Potatoes

Pork - was prepped by cruisers and cooked by chef

Pinapple dessert - was suppose to be pinapple on pound cake. They did not have a pound cake and instead it was on a pancake and the pancake mix was premixed before the class started.

Based on what I read on CC I was expecting to prep the food and then eat different food prepared by the chef so that we were not exposed to anything. I wonder why HAL does not have a standard across all ships?

I've had all different types. Last month we met and divided ourselves into three groups and each group worked on a different part of the dinner. The chef was there instructing and showing us but we did do the work. We went to the PG and our food was brought to us. My husband took a class later that same cruise and his experience was different. By then the PG chef had left and the chef who had worked with me the previous week was now the chef at the PG and was super busy.

My first class on the Noordam a few years ago, we we.re handed the recipes and we made them. There was no chef, no party planner, no one ther to help us. We ate in the Culinary Arts center.

I think it all depends on what else is going on and how busy they are.

About 2 years ago I did a class with one of the HAL's guest celebrity chefs, Keegan Gerhard from the Food Network. There were 12 in the class and we worked with chocolate. It was a hands on class and each of us had our own chocolate to work with and we learned to make chocolate ganache that we used to ice cupcakes and coat strawberries, etc. We also made chocolate truffles and chocolate mousse. (Everyone prepared their own food.) The chef and his wife, who also was a baker, went to everyone participating in the class to offer help when needed and advice about making chocolate desserts. The class lasted about 2 hours. After the class we got to take the goodies we made with us and enjoy a chocolate high for the rest of the day. It was a fun class that apparently was much different then the classes where you prepare a meal.

• 11 months later...
Almost one year later.

Has HAL changed their Culinary Center program.

Can you eat the food you prepare or is it from the kitchen?

Can you watch and learn, just as a spectator?

HAL won't let you eat what you prepare in the class. Your lunch in the Pinnacle will be what the chefs prepare or just ordering from the menu.

The cooking demonstrations are free and open to all. The cooking classes are private, no spectators.

Edited by SilvertoGold