Have you sailed the Jewel out of San Juan for S. Caribbean?

scomar

If you have sailed this itinerary on the Jewel:

Tortola, British Virgin Islands

Philipsburg, St. Maarten

Basseterre, St. Kitts

Roseau, Dominica

Bridgetown, Barbados

Which was your favorite port and why? Also your one most favorite thing about the Jewel. We are sailing the Jewel in mid December and want to hear from the experts the best things to do in your opinion.

This is our first RCCL experience.

Thanks so much for helping us to have a great cruise!!

Scomar

Philipsburg, St. Maarten

Basseterre, St. Kitts

Roseau, Dominica

Bridgetown, Barbados

Which was your favorite port and why? Also your one most favorite thing about the Jewel. We are sailing the Jewel in mid December and want to hear from the experts the best things to do in your opinion.

Scomar

As wrp96 said, Jewel hasn't begun these itineraries yet. I WILL be sailing Jewel in 2014 doing the itinerary you've identified, but I did a similar itinerary on Jewel's sister Radiance-Class ship, Serenade, in 2010, so I'll do my best to address your questions.

Serenade didn't visit Tortola. It will be a new port for me in 2014. I'm looking forward to it. All the Virgin Islands are lovely.

Philipsburg, St. Maarten

A very modern, tourist-friendly port. Half Dutch (the side the ship docks on) and half French (an easy cab ride from the ship.)

Basseterre, St. Kitts

I was not enthusiastic about this port, but ended up loving it. You really need to do one of the island tours recommended on the port of call boards because the highlights are all wonderful, but very spread out. The Batik factory, the fort and the peninsula/black rocks were all amazing.

Roseau, Dominica

My favorite. I like the very undeveloped ports of call. If you want to do duty-free shopping and go to a beach resort, this is NOT your port of call. If you want to hike in the rain forest, bathe in natural hot springs and enjoy incredible black sand beaches and unspoiled views, you'll love it.

Bridgetown, Barbados

Wealthy modern island, also very tourist-friendly. Gorgeous beaches, but I found them a little heavy with pushy vendors. I typically prefer water excursions in Barbados. There are several great catamaran options.

Regarding the ship: Serenade (Jewel's sister) was my favorite ship to date. Perfect size, gorgeous decor, amazing solarium pool area, incredible glass elevators with views of the ocean, unsurpassed service. I thought I'd miss the Royal Promenade and Ice Rink from the larger ships, but I didn't. Southern Caribbean itineraries are very port intensive. You have only one sea day. The ship is big enough to have plenty to do for a single day at sea.

Jewel hasn't done the San Juan itineraries before, but you might search for posts about Serenade as she has been doing the varied Southern itineraries out of San Juan.

I did not realize that, thank you wrp96. I did a quick check and found that the Jewel will start departure from San Juan in May 2013. Thanks for the tip about the Serenade.

As wrp96 said, Jewel hasn't begun these itineraries yet. I WILL be sailing Jewel in 2014 doing the itinerary you've identified, but I did a similar itinerary on Jewel's sister Radiance-Class ship, Serenade, in 2010, so I'll do my best to address your questions.

Serenade didn't visit Tortola. It will be a new port for me in 2014. I'm looking forward to it. All the Virgin Islands are lovely.

Philipsburg, St. Maarten

A very modern, tourist-friendly port. Half Dutch (the side the ship docks on) and half French (an easy cab ride from the ship.)

Basseterre, St. Kitts

I was not enthusiastic about this port, but ended up loving it. You really need to do one of the island tours recommended on the port of call boards because the highlights are all wonderful, but very spread out. The Batik factory, the fort and the peninsula/black rocks were all amazing.

Roseau, Dominica

My favorite. I like the very undeveloped ports of call. If you want to do duty-free shopping and go to a beach resort, this is NOT your port of call. If you want to hike in the rain forest, bathe in natural hot springs and enjoy incredible black sand beaches and unspoiled views, you'll love it.

Bridgetown, Barbados

Wealthy modern island, also very tourist-friendly. Gorgeous beaches, but I found them a little heavy with pushy vendors. I typically prefer water excursions in Barbados. There are several great catamaran options.

Regarding the ship: Serenade (Jewel's sister) was my favorite ship to date. Perfect size, gorgeous decor, amazing solarium pool area, incredible glass elevators with views of the ocean, unsurpassed service. I thought I'd miss the Royal Promenade and Ice Rink from the larger ships, but I didn't. Southern Caribbean itineraries are very port intensive. You have only one sea day. The ship is big enough to have plenty to do for a single day at sea.

Thanks for your input printingchick! We are big beach and water fans, where would we find the black sand beaches you mentioned in Dominica?

I went on a Serenade cruise last March (the other itinerary though) and have to agree with the above poster. Gorgeous ship and you don't miss all the extra onboard things like Royal Promenades, Ice Rinks, and FlowRiders. It is a port intensive cruise so you'll spend your days on land and then back for dinner and bed. Not a lot of extra time. :)

Philipsburg, St. Maarten

Basseterre, St. Kitts

Roseau, Dominica

Bridgetown, Barbados

Scomar

No Jewel but Serenade many times-she is a sister ship. Loved it! Been to all those islands, you cannot go wrong with any of them. Of the islands you are going to, I would have to say St Maarten is the best. Love Orient beach.

Our 1st cruise was on the Jewel and we fell in love with her. Glad to hear she's back in the Caribbean again.

Never been to BVI, it's on our list.

St. Maarten many times so we stay on board now & enjoy having the ship to ourselves. Been to Divi Little Beach there and that was very nice,it was thru the cruise ship. I know when was there last year, that the clothing optional beaches were starting to pop up on the Dutch side, so do your research.

We loved Dominca too - Beautiful waterfalls and scenery

St Kitts- agree with printing chick

Babados-swim w/ the turtles- email me and can give you name of the company we went with, less expensive and more time than cruise ship tour.

Have fun planning, that is part of the joy of cruising.

Our 1st cruise was on the Jewel and we fell in love with her. Glad to hear she's back in the Caribbean again.

Never been to BVI, it's on our list.

St. Maarten many times so we stay on board now & enjoy having the ship to ourselves. Been to Divi Little Beach there and that was very nice,it was thru the cruise ship. I know when was there last year, that the clothing optional beaches were starting to pop up on the Dutch side, so do your research.

We loved Dominca too - Beautiful waterfalls and scenery

St Kitts- agree with printing chick

Babados-swim w/ the turtles- email me and can give you name of the company we went with, less expensive and more time than cruise ship tour.

Have fun planning, that is part of the joy of cruising.

I would like to know too.

We're allowed to share private tour information here on CC.

Can you please post the name or a link to their website?

I just booked may 2014. I wonder if they will redo the ship like they did he sister ship

Yes, Royal does plan to put Jewel through a similar revitalization dry dock as the other ships. I'm not sure if that will be in 2014 or 2016.

I would like to know too.

We're allowed to share private tour information here on CC.

Can you please post the name or a link to their website?

Cool Runnings Catamaran (coolrunningscruises@caribsurf.com)

They were just great, prices were very reasonable and a delicious lunch is served. They go to Paynes Bay area mostly. While sailing there, 3 whales started breaching so they stopped and let the whales come close. Got some good pics and they stayed there till whales left. You're not rushed and the guys on board are friendly and fun.

How do you get the boxed pic around your next cruise and listings of all your cruises posted?

I have also sailed on Serenade and done some of these islands. Love this style of ship and the Southern ports.

St. Kitts- island tour with Thenford Grey. You get to see all the best spots and Thenford is a lovely man. Just google him to find his website.

St. Martin- I would take the water taxi which is within eyesight of where you'll be docked and make it a shopping day.

Barbados- love this island! Beautiful beaches and we also liked the rum factory

Thanks for your input printingchick! We are big beach and water fans, where would we find the black sand beaches you mentioned in Dominica?

Mero beach - photo attached.

Champagne Beach is also cool. Volcanic activity under the water creates bubbles. (Thus the name.) We went snorkeling there. Beach is ROCKY and a little hard to walk on. This is not a lounge on the beach kind of place but it's really cool for snorkeling.

And a HUGE absolute YES regarding Bumpiing Tours on Dominica. You cannot do better!!!

mero-beach-dominica-sea-glass-21625774.jpg.aa111c8a80fca5671ed63b86b3773270.jpg

I have also sailed on Serenade and done some of these islands. Love this style of ship and the Southern ports.

St. Kitts- island tour with Thenford Grey. You get to see all the best spots and Thenford is a lovely man. Just google him to find his website.

St. Martin- I would take the water taxi which is within eyesight of where you'll be docked and make it a shopping day.

Barbados- love this island! Beautiful beaches and we also liked the rum factory

Forgot to mention a must do. In Dominica Levi Baron's Bumping Tours

One of the best tours we've ever done. Levi is a little crazy but you will have an incredible time.

Thenford Grey is the tour we took and you're so right, he's a wonderful man and we had a terrific time with him.

Forgot about Levi, yeah, he's quite different....

We are booked on the Jewel this fall. We did a few of these ports on the Adventure last month. Both itineraries are port intensive. I agree with the previous poster about going to bed right after dinner. So much sight seeing during the day makes me very tired! And we even stayed onboard in St. Maarten...

I'm subscribing to this thread as part of my research for my Nov cruise on the Jewel!

We went whale watching in Roseau, Dominica Dec. 2010 while on Serenade. I had low expectations, but we ended up seeing 7 or 8 HUGE sperm whales. The water was beautiful and seeing those whale up close was something I'll never forget.

Mero beach - photo attached.

Champagne Beach is also cool. Volcanic activity under the water creates bubbles. (Thus the name.) We went snorkeling there. Beach is ROCKY and a little hard to walk on. This is not a lounge on the beach kind of place but it's really cool for snorkeling.

And a HUGE absolute YES regarding Bumpiing Tours on Dominica. You cannot do better!!!

Thanks Printingchick, We already planned on doing Champagne Reef for snorkeling but would love to see Mero beach as well. Looking at the two on goggle earth it looks like they are about 13 miles apart as the crow flies. Is there some tour guides that will take you form the dock to both beaches and back to the dock allby water?

Cool Runnings Catamaran (coolrunningscruises@caribsurf.com)

They were just great, prices were very reasonable and a delicious lunch is served. They go to Paynes Bay area mostly. While sailing there, 3 whales started breaching so they stopped and let the whales come close. Got some good pics and they stayed there till whales left. You're not rushed and the guys on board are friendly and fun.

How do you get the boxed pic around your next cruise and listings of all your cruises posted?

Thank you! I'll check them out!

For the boxed picture, click on "countdown clock" on the menu that runs along the top of the page. Once you put in all the information, you will get a code. Copy the code and go to "user CP" on the same menu. Then select "edit signature" and paste the code there.

In the edit signature mode, you can type in anything you want, such as a list of your previous cruises.

This is a great thread. I found this cruise today when looking at spring break for next year. It would be either the Oasis with ok ports or the Jewel with great ports but expensive airfare. We'll know better after an upcoming cruise if the ship or the ports are more important to the kids. I'm keeping fingers crossed that the Jewel would be enough for them because it sounds great so far.

We've done this itinerary on the Serenade, Adventure and Brilliance although this year Dominica was replaced by Guadalupe. In Feb '14 we'll be doing it on the Jewell.

Tortola, British Virgin Islands - we love Jost Van Dyke.

Philipsburg, St. Maarten - We've done Orient Beach, too commercial, going to try a quieter beach.

Basseterre, St. Kitts - Thenford Grey does a great tour. We always wind up at ShipWreck bar on South Friar Bay.

Roseau, Dominica - We did the Twin (Trafalgar) Falls and the Emerald Pool; however, there were 3 other ships in port. Our bus got to the spots first, but we were quickly followed by more than 50 other buses. Leaving destinations was a mob scene and getting out of parking lots was a debacle. The island is gorgeous.

Bridgetown, Barbados - the Tiki bar on Rockly Beach just the other side of Accra Hotel, nice beach, good food and drink.

Archived